By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who else is sad that Nintendo is winning/won this gen ?

Million said:

I hear what people say about Nintendo defining this gen with the innovation and such but i'm just not feeling anything nintendo has to offer ( with the exception of SSBB and Zelda ) I love Nintendo but  I don't care about Wii Fit  , Wii Sports , Wii *Anything* ,  I hate games like Animal Crossing, Bloom Box , Carnival Games  and i somewhat like the Wii-mote but not in the way that i think it should be the standard.

This thread isn't about the fact that I dislike the Wii it's about the fact that the thing i dislike the most is the most popular console availible,  it kills me . I remember the good old days when the PS2 was king now i feel like a war veteran who no one cares about anymore i fought for you and coulda died yet you still don't acknowledge me :(

I wish the PS3 to be  at 30 million, i wish the Wii was HD...oh well

the casual demographic is killing my gaming experience this gen with developer priority eventualy switching to the Wii where the hell will i get my hardcore gaming fix ? without profiability Sony will loose reasons to keep running their development reosurces at such high capacity. I'm blaming the Wii for the loss of Eight Days and >>GETAWAY<<<, you friggin killed getaway Wii

At the end of the day it means less games like God Of War and more games like ... Mario & Sonic at the olympics...in SD... with a motion sensing controler.....what have we become.

But we cant not always get what we want.

Around the Network
Million said:

If you love the Wii and think it's the best thing since slice bread then this thread is not for you.

This thread is not an attack on the Wii

This thread is not for Wii-Fans

This thread is not for Fanboys

This thread was not created for deabte

You cannot argue that I am stupid or incorrect in my opinion since your only using your opinion to do so.

You cannot deny that A shift in priority to Casual games will not affect hardcore games

I love Nintendo i hate the Wii

"This thread is not in competition with your thread because it targets a different audience."

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

No because threads like this make me happy :)

Way to channel your inner Crazzy there. I hate when people say "If you don't agree with me this thread is not for you."

This thread was not created for deabte

Well considering it's in "Gaming Discussion" people will come here to discuss and debate. This isn't your soapbox to rant while people pat you on the back. If that's what you're looking for start a blog somewhere and start banning comments you don't like.

You cannot argue that I am stupid or incorrect in my opinion

No need to argue it.

All Nintendo did was find a way to tap into the majority of the PS2 audience, keep most of its existing base, and bring in some new customers.

Every time Nintendo tried to make a system for Nintendo loyalists they sold less and less hardware and software. Gamecube had an attach rate of 9+ but sold only ~220m units of software.

If Sony hadn't tried to breach the Gameboy monopoly with PSP I think Nintendo may have just made another high powered system ala Gamecube. But with DS necessary and successful against PSP it would have absurd not to try the same successful strategy with Wii.

Most of you guys who claim to be hardcore only play 'blockbuster' games. You're over served as a demographic there are literally thousands of similar games on previous generation machines that will never be played by most people because despite dozens to hundreds of would-be blockbusters being produced each year most of you will only play 5-10 of them, and even so thats more than most other people. If it costs $20m for said blockbuster now and only ~5 will do well enough to justify costs in a year its time to focus on serving the other more fractured audiences. This has already been happening: its the reason why the 120m gamers with PS2 have never bought more than ~15m copies of one game (GTA), while the NES had unbundled games sell ~19m (Mario Brothers 3) despite having only 62m users. Games like Boom Blox and Little Big Planet are what the industry needs more of because of their playability and ease of development.

There could be 300m machines sold this generation, but most of the growth from 180m PS2s/Xboxs/GCs isn't going to be for the Metal Gears, the Halos, the GTAs, the Marios, the Final Fantasies, its going to be from the Nintendogs/the Wii Sports/the Wii Fit/the Little Big Planets/eye toy/motion plus/etc.

This happens every generation (among machines to sell ever 20m):

NES - brought in 80% of people under 12, probably 50% of people under 20, and 25% of people under 35

Genesis - took portions of the above groups, added 20-30% of people under 20, another 15% of people under 35

SNES - kept what Sega didn't take with Genesis, but did well as demographics grew

PS1 - took probably 65% of the 15-35 male audience, 35% of people under 15 & women

N64 - took what was left

PS2 - took 55% of the 10-40 male audience, 40% of people under 15 & women, 60% of all else,

GC - 40% of people under 15, 15% of the 10-40 male audience, 35% of women, 15% of all else,

Xb - 20% of people under 15, 30% of the 10-40 male audience, 25% of women, 25% of all else

Wii - 70% of the under 15 audience, 30% of the 15-25 male audience, 65% of the 15-25 female audience, 55% of the 25-35 audience (40% men vs. 70% women), 65% of the 35-45 audience, 75% of the 45-55 audience, 50% of the 55+ audience, probably a 60%-40% male to female split overall

PS3 -  10% of the under 15 audience,  30% of the 15-25 male audience,  25% of the 15-25 female audience, 30% of the 25-35  audience,  10% of the 35-45 audience,  15% of the  45-55 audience,  20% of the 55+ audience, probably a 70%-30% male to female split overall

360 - 20% of the under 15 audience, 40% of the 15-25 male audience, 10% of the 15-25 female audience, 15% of the 25-35 audience, 25% of the 35-45 audience, 10% of the 45-55 audience, 30% of the 55+ audience, probably an 80%-20% male to female split overall.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

I mean come on aren't I entitled to being sad , or is it some kind of offence that I'm sad for a reason linked to the Wii .

the thread title wasn't "who else thinks Nintendo is a steaming pile of shit for creating the Wii" was it ?

I don't like what the Wii has to offer and the general effect it has on gaming , if you like it that's your opinion but it confused me how I can be seen as stupid or illogical for having an opinion that's contrary to what many Wii fan's believe.

Anyone who came to the thread to attack the reasoning behind it or me is infact stupid because it's my opinion of how the Wii affects me it's not an analysis or anything like it .

TheSource said:

If Sony hadn't tried to breach the Gameboy monopoly with PSP I think Nintendo may have just made another high powered system ala Gamecube. But with DS necessary and successful against PSP it would have absurd not to try the same successful strategy with Wii.

Hadn't thought of that before.  That's definitely an interesting way to look at it.  Sony challenging Nintendo in the handheld arena forced Nintendo to get creative which in turn ended up resurrecting them in the home console market and sapping away a majority of the PS userbase in the casual market.

@ The Source

Nice post, clears thing up for some people

Its actually stupendous that they're winning with such a cosole.

Million said:
I mean come on aren't I entitled to being sad , or is it some kind of offence that I'm sad for a reason linked to the Wii .

the thread title wasn't "who else thinks Nintendo is a steaming pile of shit for creating the Wii" was it ?

I don't like what the Wii has to offer and the general effect it has on gaming , if you like it that's your opinion but it confused me how I can be seen as stupid or illogical for having an opinion that's contrary to what many Wii fan's believe.

Anyone who came to the thread to attack the reasoning behind it or me is infact stupid because it's my opinion of how the Wii affects me it's not an analysis or anything like it .

Fine, be sad.  But throwing a pity party where you expect people to come in and console you is just pathetic. 

And don't even try fooling yourself that "it's not an analysis..."  You blame the Wii casual focus on Getaway and Eight Days cancellations.  You go on to assume that less hardcore games like GoW will be created. 

Your "opinion" is an analysis and people are calling you out on it.  Like I said if you didn't want to hear any criticism don't post it on a public forum.