By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who else is sad that Nintendo is winning/won this gen ?

Who cares? Back in the day I didn't even know the Playstation had "won". I had an N64, played and enjoyed the games and that was it.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:
noname2200 said:
Million said:
Bodhesatva said:

But they are, for the most part, NOT hiring new people to make more games like God of War or Mass Effect. If games like God of War were the blockbuster, run away hit of the generation (instead of the Wii), we would not only see God of War 3 and Mass Effect 2, but we'd see tons of studios opening up to make games like that; instead, the best we can say is that most of the studios that do exist aren't shutting down.

I'm not sure we've reached a point of literal decline yet, but certainly stagnation. We aren't going to be seeing any big, new studios coming of age in "traditional" gaming this generation; all the new studios will be set to task on more casual fare. But there won't be any Rockstars or Bungies breaking out this time around: there will be Nintendo and Popcap.

We're not in disagreement. My point wasn't that there's suddenly going to be an expansion of traditional games, but that the decline will be fairly gradual (hence the line about still having a few years left for the current cycle, and how the new studios are built on the foundations of the old. It's like some traditional game makers are slowly fertilizing the "new" games.) And I actually do think we're in the decline period (see the massive post I made earlier): it's just that the Bioshocks and Mirror's Edges of the world aren't going to completely vanish over the next three years or so. I'm not even completely convinced they'll disappear in the future: they sell very well, and if someone can bring down HD costs (or start making equal quality games for the Wii) then their lifespan will be quite healthy indeed, as they'll now be profitable. I guess what I'm getting at is that traditional games shouldn't and won't go away: they'll just evolve a bit more to accomodate business reality.

Who else is sad that Nintendo is winning/won this gen ?
---
Fanboys.

What is whining going to do about it?

Make sales go down?

Bodhesatva said:

Hey guys, cut it out with the age jokes. I didn't ask his age to make fun of him.

But I do think there is one serious comment to make about that, and it isn't intended to poke fun; someone who is 17 would have been 4 when the original Playstation 1 was released. 4! While his first experience may not have been on that console, Million has basically never lived in a time when Sony wasn't the uncontested ruler of the gaming universe.

It's a bit different when you're coming from that frame of reference: it's not a jab at Million at all, it just makes things seem different. Like I was alive when 80s hair bands were considered cool, as in "girls throw themselves at them" cool. Now adays, seeing a guy in spandex, a younger person may know that technically, at one time, those bands were considered cool; but they don't really understand it. It's very different living something and hearing "at one time, this is what happened."

As someone who has seen Atari rise, fall, then Nintendo Rise, then Sega Rise and compete with them, then Sega fall, then Sony rise, then Nintendo rise again, none of this is new to me. The "Playstation" style of gaming -- which I think of as 1) Single Player 2) Cinematic and 3) Epic, is on the wane. This is not the first "style" of gaming to fall from mainstream appeal, and it won't be the last.

This is something I totally agree with and something I have seen myself ...

I don't think a lot of people really become all that attached to a particular game manufacturer until they're in their (pre) teens and they're (to a certain extent) trying to justify their choice. Sadly enough, this justification as a teenager has far less to do with the quality of gaming experience it provides nearly as much as how "Cool" a particular system is.

Right now there is a group of gamers who turned 11 or 12 in the height of Sony's popularity (between 1998 and 2004) and have always seen Nintendo as being this completely uncool "kiddy" console and the success of the Wii confuses them, and makes them hate the system to a certain extent; what makes this so much worse is the values of the Wii, and why it became successful contrast with their justification for why the Playstation systems were cool and therefore make people hate the Wii even more.

If you look at music, you will tend to see a similar pattern where a person becomes obessive about a particular genre of music in their teens and (regardless of whether it was increasing or decreasing in popularity in their teens) it eventually is replaced by another form of music and they hate it regardless of the new forms merits. Eventually, many of these music obsessed teenagers mature and start listening to different forms of music and may end up liking the form of music they used to hate.

I believe this image about sums up this thread:

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

Sorry guys. I log in, and get 4 immediate complaints about this thread. Its being locked now - I think 6 pages of "hating" is enough.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099