By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who else is sad that Nintendo is winning/won this gen ?

Showertea said:
melbye said:
Showertea said:

As for the 'casual' games, you should be praising them. Every gamer starts out as a non-gamer, then becomes a 'casual' gamer, before graduating to 'hardcore'. The first game I ever played was some hilariously bad Mickey Mouse game for the original NES, and if it wasn't for that game I wouldn't be playing games now. In 5-10 years, you're going to be seeing a huge surge of girls who started gaming on Horsez find their way into the market as adult, 'hardcore' gamers.

you graduate from Casual-gamer to Core-gamer, not hardcore. A hardcore gamer is a true gamer, some one who set out to master the games he plays. A hardcore gamer is neutral gamer who has no console preference.

I'm not entirely sure what you're arguing. I'm arguing that everyone starts out playing games that are easy, the same way everyone crawls before they walk. Are you claiming that hardcore gamers go from never having played a game before to playing Halo 3 without any steps in between?

No, iagree with our post, but i am saying that when a person gradute from casual gamer they become a core gamer. A hardcore is the next step and reserved for the true gamer, a gamer with no fanboyish tendencies and a gamer that plays to master games

Around the Network

OMG... another thread where Wii haters can congregate and pat eachother on the back. Tell me why anyone hates ANY of the consoles. Everyone should just enjoy what they have, because there is a lot of love from each company.

Just kiss the tip.

@Soriku, What's a Snatcher game?

@Sky Render, I like that. Though we will still have cinimatic. I look at like this. What tells a better story. Dune The Movie or Dune the series. Dune the series being something like 6-8 2 hour episode? That's about 4-5 times the length of the original movie. Deeper, more engorossing, closer to original dream. Though the acting was a little inferior. Wait more money means more developement time for acheiving games that fit developers ideal dreams. Awesome. This shift is taking to long.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

I do not care who is winning the console war.

Sky Render said:

Greatness in text form.

Very well done, good Sir Sky Render.

But alas, I see this thread living on until the thoughts of our forebears are long past spent. Ah well, I must journey on and continue to vanquish evil where ever it may stand. Onwards to glory!

Around the Network
Sky Render said:
The wails and mournings of the hardcore continue into the twilight of the Cinematic Cycle's day in the sun. Bemoaning the fate of their beloved hobby, they refuse to listen as the wise men tell them that this is nothing new and that the future still holds bright things. All they can see is the setting of that movie-esque sun, and the demise of a genre that they thoroughly entrenched themselves in, and the creeping sunrise of the Social Cycle's sun, with its games focused on many players doing simple but fun tasks together.

"Petty!" one of the hardcore scoffs, "Shallow! Unrefined! I shall never play such dregs! Send them away and give me my Metal Gear Solid!" But nobody answers their cries, and the Cinematic sun continues its inevitable descent, the Social sun its inevitable rise.

A lone figure approaches the angry hardcore who cried out. "Why do you belittle the Social Cycle? It is young," the figure reasons.

"Pfah! Look at it! All cheesy party games! Not a single good game in there!" the hardcore declares, spitting bitterly on the ground.

"But," says the unknown man, "what of games like Mario Kart Wii? And Super Smash Bros Brawl? Are these not games which appeal to your tastes?"

"Speak not the name 'Nintendo' to me!" the hardcore yells, angrily. "I will only hear the names of 'Microsoft' and 'Sony' uttered in my presence!"

"Why?" the stranger asks, bemused.

"Because...! Because...!" the hardcore struggles to find words. "Because I hate Nintendo! They've killed gaming!"

"Ah," says the stranger, nodding knowingly. "Turnabout is fair play, you know. When your Cinematic sun rose, do you know what those who worshipped the Arcade sun said? Much the same as you, that Nintendo had killed gaming."

"No!" the hardcore shouted, angrier than ever. "Nintendo did not bring the Cinematic sun to us! It was Sony! Sony! SONY!"

The stranger shook his head. "You know not your history, I see. Pray tell, did you ever play the Nintendo Entertainment System?" The hardcore shook his head. "Well, let me show you the start of the Cinematic sun's rise, then."

Just then, a large screen popped up, and Final Fantasy started playing on it. "That doesn't count!" the hardcore yelled.

"Why not?" the stranger asked, bemused. "It's most definitely a cinematic game, albeit one of the earliest. And here it is, on a system which predated the PlayStation by a decade. You see, Nintendo brought about your beloved Cinematic sun just as they've brought about the Social sun."

"It doesn't matter!" the hardcore yelled, sounding desperate. "Nintendo didn't give us the greatest Cinematic games, Sony did! And the third parties that supported Sony! Nintendo abandoned the Cinematic game!"

The stranger smiled. "Yes, they did. Because the Cinematic style was proving to be unprofitable. Tell me, what do you think is the most important thing to a company that makes video games?"

"That they make good games!" the hardcore said, mildly irritated at such an obvious question. "Why are you laughing!?" he demanded as the stranger chuckled.

"Poor deluded gamer," the stranger said, shaking his head. "The ends do not make the means. Companies that make video games value profit above all else if they are to survive. Making good games is the end of that means, not the means to the end. And Cinematic games do not make a profit; many of the companies making them are now expiring."

"So what!?" the hardcore shouted impatiently. "The games are still great! I don't care if a few companies go under, I just want my games!"

The stranger sighed. "You don't get it, do you? Who will make your Cinematic games if all of the companies die? Who will give you your fix then? The age of the Cinematic game is over, and with it, all those who will not flock to the Social Cycle which is rising. You cannot make the sun stop setting, and you cannot stop the cycle from ending. Do not hate Nintendo, for they are only the heralds of the inevitable shift."

"I refuse!" the hardcore spat, and turned to chase the setting Cinematic Cycle's sun.

"Futility..." the stranger muttered, walking off towards the rising Social Cycle sun, shaking his head. The hardcore would only find darkness at the end of his journey, but the stranger at least would find a brilliant day awaited him in the near future.

This is the greatest thing I have read on a forum... ever.

+1 million to you my friend.

Just kiss the tip.

Soriku said:
Munkeh111 said:
Soriku said:

@Munkeh

Then why don't you just look at the third party games on the DS? I don't care all that much about Nintendo games on the DS but I bought mine for all the RPGs.

I have thought about getting a DS, but I dont really like 2D games, and I really dont have the money to get another console just for RPGs, i have got my 360 now for RPGs

I dont really play on handhelds much, so I dont really have a great need for more games for my PSP, and Star Oceans should keep me busy for some time

Uh....they're not all 2D. There's plenty of 3D games like Zelda and FF, and there are a good deal of games with open/3D-ish environments with just 2D sprites who shouldn't be a problem if you like to play SO (you've played SO2, right? It's like that.)

No I havent, the first RPG I played was Final Fantasy X, so I am not a great fan of 2D games, and the Star Ocean games are only because I dont have many RPGs to play on my PSP, just Crisis Core.

I dont really like the idea of sprites. I saw my friend playing Final Fantasy VI on his iPhone, and I dont really think I could play that kind of game

...and why should nintendo HAVE to make mature content for the wii? no one complains that disney is only family entertainment. no one complains that pixar only makes animated movies.

if nintendo wants to be casual/kiddy so be it. that just makes all the more opportunities for third parties.

I dunno, I just got into a Maelstrom mood there. It gets tiring to keep doing comparatively boring posts that just state facts, express opinions, and make arguments all of the time.

And yes, there is a promise of elements from the past era emerging in the new one, as the Social Cycle resembles the tactics used by television shows.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

If you love the Wii and think it's the best thing since slice bread then this thread is not for you.

This thread is not an attack on the Wii

This thread is not for Wii-Fans

This thread is not for Fanboys

This thread was not created for deabte

You cannot argue that I am stupid or incorrect in my opinion since your only using your opinion to do so.

You cannot deny that A shift in priority to Casual games will not affect hardcore games

I love Nintendo i hate the Wii