By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Play Magazine: Nintendo has officially gone off the reservation

FishyJoe said:

Don't worry about it man. I don't really try to argue too much with this guy any more. He seems filled with a lot of animosity for whatever reason

Instead focus on being happy with your piles of cash! It's more fun being rich!

thx :)

unfortunately i don't own enough nintendo shares :)

if only i knew back when the DS was coming out!

the Wii is an epidemic.

Around the Network

Maybe I misunderstood but it seems like the author was upset because Nintendo didn't reveal their line-up for E3 ... Has Nintendo ever revealed their line-up for E3? 

E3 is the most important press event in the industry because it is the only time you have access to a large portion of people from the mainstream media to look at your stuff; it is the only time you can get your game hyped in a major news paper months before your game is for sale. Nintendo knows that after a reporter from the nowhere-times sits through a boring 2 hour conference from Sony about how slightly better graphics are amazingly interesting, when Nintendo shows of a video of an unexpected game and gets the crowd cheering the second they realize what they're seeing, something special has happened ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=rsrcACV3Fjk ) ...

Of course Nintendo could release screenshots months in advance and get the audience asking whether they see better specular highlighting than the previous version ... 

Core Gamer? Casual Gamer?

WHAT are you talking about....
I think Nintendo is the epitome of the core game player company. I have been on their page for forever...back to the original NES. What I see with them is innovation. They have been the pioneer of so many interesting things and have had a long history creating new experiences with their game machines. I enjoy watching them innovate and really appreciate their desire to take risks by trying new things. They had a 3D game machine, a robot, a glove that reacted to the player's hand movements, a lightgun game that was an action adventure game to name just a few of their innovations....I remember many times waiting for the next installment of one of their awesome game series and instead of getting what I wanted they came up with another totally new game that would make you think what else can they think up that I can enjoy....

I think many people confuse the other 2 game companies movement to a more "adult" game player audience as the core players and it might be true that those systems have a generally older audience but I would not call them the core gamers.

RolStoppable said:
konnichiwa said:

1) Most of the wii games now are not hardcore!!! That is not my opinion that is from the most people in the game business.

2) Yes I watched the predictions and the most said Wii is a cheap thing that will sell a lot PS3 and X360 are expensive but X360 will have a lot of schooters like Halo 3 and that scores PS3 will fail. That were the predictions I read!

Apparently a lot of journalist predict that Nintendo is going to abondon the core gamer market = that is true!
Okay I understand you have fun with games like Cooking Mama and Wii sports but that are not hardcore games. That are games you mom, little brother,sister, nephew likes;

http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=16280

Probably right about that only 18 million core gamers will buy a Wii.

Aggg this again. Really, people do need to shut up about this. They are starting to become cliche.

Now, I am ticked Nintendo didn't show a thing. Nintendo is way to secrative for their own good.

I think everyone in the world should hold judgement till E3. Nintendo rarely shows off a lot and we aren't going to know Nintendo's dirrection till then.

Around the Network

ANOTHER OPINION ABOUT THE NINTENDO MEDIA SUMMIT:

From GameLife Wired Blogs Editor:

All the same, it seems like Nintendo's aims here were to get the press a day full of unfettered hands-on access to all the games that we're not likely to pay attention to at what is sure to be a crazy clusterf**k of an E3 in July. For my part, I certainly wouldn't have put the time into Strikers or Brain Academy had they not had this event. So I understand why they did this. But it doesn't leave a very good impression to do it by sending out a press release that deliberately teased us with the tantalizing possibility of playing the heavy hitters, then presenting a lineup of also-rans and niche titles once we were all trapped in Seattle.

While he was dissapointed, he did not see it as the end of Nintendo's focus of the hardcore. He was a bit more rational, IMO.

However, as I have stated, judge Nintendo after E3.

FishyJoe said:
Lingyis said:
ckmlb said:

Don't worry about it man. I don't really try to argue too much with this guy any more. He seems filled with a lot of animosity for whatever reason

Instead focus on being happy with your piles of cash! It's more fun being rich!

Yet you come back at every turn to bash Sony. Funny how that works... Shouldn't you be swimming in your cash instead of being on here?

A little note: Don't gloat abour your wealth to others it's not very pleasant to hear about.

I'll go back to work in the sweatshop now since I didn't buy Nintendo stocks

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

RolStoppable said:
konnichiwa said:

Probably right about that only 18 million core gamers will buy a Wii.

So you assume that the first prediction in the link I posted only includes console sales to core gamers?

Then explain me how the PS3 is going to sell an additional 110+ million units. If you can't, you prove my point correct that it's possible that analysts (who are paid for their job) can be off with their assumptions as well as journalists (who are also paid for their job) can be.

Maybe I'm wrong but the link you posted was for analysts and not for videogame magazine Editor In Chiefs.  Also many of those analysts are likely not into videogames at all and have never attended any company's Gamer's Day or know many people behind the scenes when it comes to videogames.  Also to simply jump from one group of people and infer that it applies to another is a weak argument at best. 

konnichiwa said:

1) Most of the wii games now are not hardcore!!! That is not my opinion that is from the most people in the game business.

2) Yes I watched the predictions and the most said Wii is a cheap thing that will sell a lot PS3 and X360 are expensive but X360 will have a lot of schooters like Halo 3 and that scores PS3 will fail. That were the predictions I read!

Apparently a lot of journalist predict that Nintendo is going to abondon the core gamer market = that is true!
Okay I understand you have fun with games like Cooking Mama and Wii sports but that are not hardcore games. That are games you mom, little brother,sister, nephew likes;

Most games on any successful platform are not for the hardcore audience ... Seriously, take a look at the PS2's library and you'll notice that the majority (66%+) of games are casual games

Nintendo always hold their cards close. I wouldnt read too much into a build up event, we can jump to conclusions after E3.