By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Play Magazine: Nintendo has officially gone off the reservation

Play Magazine has never, ever catered to anyone other than elitist techno-fetishists.  I remember years ago when they proclaimed the first XBOX as the second coming of Christ even before the first tech demo and rarely if ever mentioned Nintendo software, unless it was some artsy gloss-job like P.N. 03.  I believe the publication has changed hands since then, but I sincerely doubt their incessant snobbery has relented. 

Honestly though, this is hardly a lone voice in the wilderness at this point.  Every scared and sniveling acolyte of “hardcore” gaming has lambasted Nintendo’s success and will continue unabated until they either: 1) grow up, or 2) find a new and more secluded clique to join.  This phenomenon occurs constantly in the realms of politics, religions, and academia.  Though it’s no less childish or petulant within these circumstances, at least it usually concerns something more important than a silly game.

Around the Network

Wii can sell 200 million. How, you ask?

Two Words:

Light Saber

2 Quick points

1) The heavy hitters are the games that Nintendo are most likely going to reveal at E3, why have E3 if you tell everyone what your going to do before then.

2) There is nothing in his artical that says anything more then "they didn't show us the good stuff" a law of logic states that just because something isn't mentioned doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

3) If Nintendo didn't release any good "hardcore" games it would open up a great market for 3rd party games, to me nintendo is just another game publisher as I didn't grow up with them. I hope ID, Valve and other great companies make games for the Wii

4) Now I shall utterly contradict point 3 and say : I hope at E3 they show some great games as I loved Zelda: TP and have some new found faith in this publisher.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Gebx don't argue with Rolstoppable!

He is a Wii fanboy he is more smarter than an editor of an magazine and that all because of brain age!

Sigh.

RolStoppable said:
konnichiwa said:

Maybe he understand mine who knows. Journalist almost never repeat the words of analysts.
I can remember when everybody said (anaylysts) PS2 is to expensive, not many games it will not sell 40 million, look now! Many editors of viedeo gaming magazines were against those analysts and they were right about it; And to answer your question about will PS3 sell 110 million, Why not?

The market of people who play games grows and more people can afford consoles.

Even this can be possible: Wii 180 million, PS3 and X360 more than 110 million.

Because every benchmark for sales we have in videogame history implies that the PS3 won't sell 110+ million more after its lackluster launch months.

Now tell me what is going to turn around the fortune for the PS3. How will it possibly sell 110+ million more units? 

Now tell me what is going to turn around the fortune for the PS3. How will it possibly sell 110+ million more units?

This is the same sentence that I have heard a lot when PS2 launched! 

Around the Network
DonWii said:
DonWii said:
ANOTHER OPINION ABOUT THE NINTENDO MEDIA SUMMIT:

From GameLife Wired Blogs Editor:

All the same, it seems like Nintendo's aims here were to get the press a day full of unfettered hands-on access to all the games that we're not likely to pay attention to at what is sure to be a crazy clusterf**k of an E3 in July. For my part, I certainly wouldn't have put the time into Strikers or Brain Academy had they not had this event. So I understand why they did this. But it doesn't leave a very good impression to do it by sending out a press release that deliberately teased us with the tantalizing possibility of playing the heavy hitters, then presenting a lineup of also-rans and niche titles once we were all trapped in Seattle.

While he was dissapointed, he did not see it as the end of Nintendo's focus of the hardcore. He was a bit more rational, IMO.

However, as I have stated, judge Nintendo after E3.

Interesting to see a different take on the issue from another journalist.

Amazing. Not everyone thinks Nintendo has abandoned the hardcore. Who'd thought....

Worst case scenario, Nintendo stops making hardcore games focuses completely on the casual gamer. Does that mean that Sony and Microsoft will follow suit? Does that mean that from now on none of the third parties will make Hardcore games anymore? Heck even if it does mean that Microsoft and Sony follow suit does that mean that a new player won't come in and make a console that supports them? Even in the worst case scenario all that would happen is that there would be less development for hardcore games. Are you telling me that you played every game that has been released, and not had other games that interested you that you decided not to pick up?

Exactly, it's a pointless argument and a pointless opinion.

This is the same sentence that I have heard a lot when PS2 launched!

And I bet you heard everyone complaining about its price, the 1 year disadvantage it had against MS and the loss of its big third party exclusives :)

Face it, the PS3 is in a completely different situation. It may turn things around, but it doesn´t look that will happen.

konnichiwa said:
He is a Wii fanboy he is more smarter than an editor of an magazine and that all because of brain age!

It's unfair to call people who question editors "fanboy".  Editors and analysts make inaccurate and biased statements/arguments all the time, as you're probably aware. 

After all, anti-Nintendo folks also have questioned editorials when they read something they don't agree.  No need for double-standard.

And this kind of personal flaming doesn't contribute to the discussion.  Perhaps you need to play more games rather than trolling in here.

No, it's not going to stop  'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop  So just ... give up
- Aimee Mann

DonWii said:
DonWii said:
DonWii said:
ANOTHER OPINION ABOUT THE NINTENDO MEDIA SUMMIT:

From GameLife Wired Blogs Editor:

All the same, it seems like Nintendo's aims here were to get the press a day full of unfettered hands-on access to all the games that we're not likely to pay attention to at what is sure to be a crazy clusterf**k of an E3 in July. For my part, I certainly wouldn't have put the time into Strikers or Brain Academy had they not had this event. So I understand why they did this. But it doesn't leave a very good impression to do it by sending out a press release that deliberately teased us with the tantalizing possibility of playing the heavy hitters, then presenting a lineup of also-rans and niche titles once we were all trapped in Seattle.

While he was dissapointed, he did not see it as the end of Nintendo's focus of the hardcore. He was a bit more rational, IMO.

However, as I have stated, judge Nintendo after E3.

Interesting to see a different take on the issue from another journalist.

Amazing. Not everyone thinks Nintendo has abandoned the hardcore. Who'd thought....

I know, right?