By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Play Magazine: Nintendo has officially gone off the reservation

RolStoppable said:
konnichiwa said:

Now tell me what is going to turn around the fortune for the PS3. How will it possibly sell 110+ million more units?

This is the same sentence that I have heard a lot when PS2 launched!

So you base your assumption that the PS3 will sell as many units as the PS2 solely on the fact that you have heard the same sentence for both consoles? You do know that the PS2 started off strong and had no competition for over a year unlike the PS3, right?

True and the market has changed.

I will give you example why I think why it is possible.

When I was in China years ago no one could afford or almost nobody could buy an console.
Last summer I was walking in China and I was suprised to see people walking with a PSP (that in my opinion is expensive).

I just want to say that countries like China, India have a gaming market that is growing a lot. 

I would not be surprised that around 2012 more than 300 million next gen consoles are sold=   Wii, X360, PS3.

Around the Network

Oh wow... an article from a failing magazine released to the public about how Nintendo is fail and all core gamers should hate them. SURELY this isn't a publicity stunt to attract disgruntled PS360 fanboys to their magazine. /sarcasm.

Wait for E3 before criticizing you pathetic fanboys. Are you so desperate for a way to attack Nintendo that you would jump on a PLAY MAGAZINE EDITORIAL? Yes, obviously the guy isn't a Nintendo fan. I don't know if you people pay much attention to Play's press but this is the 5th of 6th of these articles that they have released to the internet. It's a dying magazine trying to salvage itself on the base of desperate anti-Nintendo fanboys.

In summary: CAN WE PLEASE STOP BITCHING AND MOANING TILL E3!?

omoneru said:
konnichiwa said:
He is a Wii fanboy he is more smarter than an editor of an magazine and that all because of brain age!

It's unfair to call people who question editors "fanboy". Editors and analysts make inaccurate and biased statements/arguments all the time, as you're probably aware.

After all, anti-Nintendo folks also have questioned editorials when they read something they don't agree. No need for double-standard.

And this kind of personal flaming doesn't contribute to the discussion. Perhaps you need to play more games rather than trolling in here.

Yes - please be nice everyone. We can have passionate and thoughtful discussions, without reverting fanboy name calling...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

hush_hermit said:

Play Magazine has never, ever catered to anyone other than elitist techno-fetishists.

A magazine that caters to "elitist techno-fetishists" as you claim and yet goes ga-ga over some PS2 and Wii games, yeah that makes real sense.  Take a look at some of the pc gaming magazines if you want to see catering to the "elitist techno-fetishists" as you put it.

I haven't found Nintendo's new direction at all alienating, I still have plenty of games I want to buy and play, I don't see the problem that these people who are complaining seem to see

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
konnichiwa said:

True and the market has changed.

I will give you example why I think why it is possible.

When I was in China years ago no one could afford or almost nobody could buy an console.
Last summer I was walking in China and I was suprised to see people walking with a PSP (that in my opinion is expensive).

I just want to say that countries like China, India have a gaming market that is growing a lot.

I would not be surprised that around 2012 more than 300 million next gen consoles are sold= Wii, X360, PS3.

These markets have a high piracy rate (nearly no games are purchased) though and the PS3 will take a long time until it is affordable for Sony to sell it at $100 or less (realistically I don't think it's possible to reach high market penetration at a higher price point) in these markets.

True about that but they will probably have to buy the PS3 because making a PS3 is more expensive than 
Buying one. True that it haves a high piracy rate with games but that is dropping last summer I could find games
in stores and it were PSP games that are easy to play with a Piracy thing. 

Do you see any chance that the PS3 will reach PS2 levels without the markets of India (PS3 launched there already as far as I know) and China? What would Sony have to do to achieve such high sales?

A small chance around 5%. And I am not sure the PS3 is launched in India I thought X360 did already but not sure about PS3.

I see this article summed up as: "Waaaahhhhh! Mommy! Nintendo is changing gaming and i'm scared!!!"

DonWii said:
DonWii said:
DonWii said:
DonWii said:
ANOTHER OPINION ABOUT THE NINTENDO MEDIA SUMMIT:

From GameLife Wired Blogs Editor:

All the same, it seems like Nintendo's aims here were to get the press a day full of unfettered hands-on access to all the games that we're not likely to pay attention to at what is sure to be a crazy clusterf**k of an E3 in July. For my part, I certainly wouldn't have put the time into Strikers or Brain Academy had they not had this event. So I understand why they did this. But it doesn't leave a very good impression to do it by sending out a press release that deliberately teased us with the tantalizing possibility of playing the heavy hitters, then presenting a lineup of also-rans and niche titles once we were all trapped in Seattle.

While he was dissapointed, he did not see it as the end of Nintendo's focus of the hardcore. He was a bit more rational, IMO.

However, as I have stated, judge Nintendo after E3.

Interesting to see a different take on the issue from another journalist.

Amazing. Not everyone thinks Nintendo has abandoned the hardcore. Who'd thought....

I know, right?

Exactly, it is the craziest thing that I have ever heard.

DonWii said:
DonWii said:
DonWii said:
DonWii said:
ANOTHER OPINION ABOUT THE NINTENDO MEDIA SUMMIT:

From GameLife Wired Blogs Editor:

All the same, it seems like Nintendo's aims here were to get the press a day full of unfettered hands-on access to all the games that we're not likely to pay attention to at what is sure to be a crazy clusterf**k of an E3 in July. For my part, I certainly wouldn't have put the time into Strikers or Brain Academy had they not had this event. So I understand why they did this. But it doesn't leave a very good impression to do it by sending out a press release that deliberately teased us with the tantalizing possibility of playing the heavy hitters, then presenting a lineup of also-rans and niche titles once we were all trapped in Seattle.

While he was dissapointed, he did not see it as the end of Nintendo's focus of the hardcore. He was a bit more rational, IMO.

However, as I have stated, judge Nintendo after E3.

Interesting to see a different take on the issue from another journalist.

Amazing. Not everyone thinks Nintendo has abandoned the hardcore. Who'd thought....

I know, right?

oh, lol...

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

3rd parties have a fantastic opportunity to step up and fill in the Wii's lineup with "gamer" games. Nintendo is affording them the chance right now, something they've been bitched at for NOT doing in the past.

So Nintendo gets bitched out for c*ck-blocking 3rd parties' attempts at success on their consoles AND they get bitched out when they DON'T c*ck-block them?

Is it any wonder Nintendo just does what they think will work these days and completely ignores everyone else?

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks