By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Play Magazine: Nintendo has officially gone off the reservation

I think there will be new games shown at E3, not as a nintendo fanboy, but remember last year EGM, Gamepro, and Nintendo Power were still calling Wii revolution because they didn't know. The Wii coverage showed up almost a month after the coverage for all the other platforms (PSP, 360, PS3) because Sony and Microsoft don't really do surprises (with the exception of the six-axis, which also showed up a month later in print).

"If you've been around as long as I have" (god I am old) you would remember that Nintendo always does this.

In response to the point of the argument: Uber-casual focus is already happening within Nintendo. EA is experimenting. When the Square and traditional Nintendo games start coming out though you will see where the true buying power is. Casual games are great for producers (think: movie comedies) because they are cheap to make. Core-gamer games are riskier but can really pay off, when 10 million of your console owners have to own a game or even 250,000 you make your money back.

Nintendo may drop core-gamer support, but third parties are already filling the vacuum.
Square with a FF spin-off that looks and sounds more fun than the last two main series games;
D3 Dragon Watcha-ma-kallit; EA - Madden;
Capcom - Zack and Wiki;
Activision - Tony Hawk;
Aksys - Guilty Gear (how much hard core can you get?);
Gamecock - Mushroom Men;
Konami - Dewy, DDR;
Lucas - Lego SW;
Namco - Space Station Tychoon, Soul Calibur Legends, Museum Remix;
Natsume - Harvest Moon;
Red Octane - GHIII;
Sega - Alien Syndrome, Nights, Ghost Squad, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, Iron Man, Alien;
Sierra - Crash of the Titans;
THQ - oh THQ sucks;
Ubisoft - Driver, BiA, Rayman (I know it's minigames but this rocked), Beowolf, presuming another PoP;
WB - Loony Toons, Lego Batman;
Geometry Wars; N+...

I mean Sega has more announced "hardcore" titles than Nintendo.

(I think if you own any one system, and only that system, you won't be disappointed with any of the line-ups in the next couple of years.)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network
ckmlb said:

If this is the case why is the editor in chief reacting like this tell me? What is the point of this write up but to say that Nintendo is abandoning gamers for casuals. Did you read the whole thing?

Like he said few and far between will be the traditional games coming from Nintendo after the big three hit later this year.

The editor is writing this tripe because he's parroting the same thing EVERY credential wielding media member at the Nintendo Media Day complained about: "Where's Metroid? Where's Mario Kart? Where's Galaxy?"

What he has failed to recognize is that Nintendo doesn't need to demo ANY of this stuff. We know it's coming; we expect it'll probably rock out, and even if it doesn't it'll still sell 2 million copies each anyway. What nobody ever figured out with where Nintendo was going, was 'What is the point of a media day if you're just going to show all the crap that we already know is going to be released this year?'

Where Sony spent their gamers day demoing their killer apps for hardcore gamers, Nintendo took their media day to demo the titles that needed publicity. The media, as a whole, totally whiffed on this because they were expecting Galaxy playable demos, and didn't get it, so all of them, collectively, predictably pitched a fit about why they were invited in the first place.

It's the same deal as the criticism at gaming publications writing poor Wii platform reviews for casual games. Now, after being shafted with any real scoop at the media days, they're left scratching their heads at why they were ever invited to Seattle.

Just because Nintendo didn't spend three days stroking the gaming media and showcasing the fare targeted at gamers doesn't mean they've ceased making it. We know of at least 10 different titles due this year FOR gamers, and we've seen enough screenshots and YouTube footage to know what's on the horizon.

Everybody just wants to bitch about something. Until today, in America anyway, people could complain about the lack of online for Wii. Now they lost that leverage so they need something new to complain about. Some stupid editor decideds that the new topic of complaint concerning Nintendo is the lack of focus on the core gamer. This is just stupid. First it was the graphcis, then the "novelty" controller," then the lack of online, and now the lack of focus on the "core" gamer.

I think it is time to admit that Nintendo is doing more things correct than their competetion and thee evolution is leaving some people behind. I also think the sales reflect this sentiment. The arguments are just getting weaker and weaker.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Nintendo has officially gone off the reservation

"Leading up to the new E3 "business summit," we've been attending various Gamer's Days to sample the goods we once braved a week in LA to ponder. Not only is this a more efficient way to see what each publisher has in store, but it's also more informative, given we get to spend quality time with each game, producer, and so on. Sony, Sega, Ubisoft, Namco Bandai, EA, Eidos, Activision...everything seemed to be going as planned until we landed at Nintendo. Eager to see Mario Galaxy, Battalion Wars 2, Project H.A.M.M.E.R., and Super Smash Bros. Brawl we were met with everything but. In fact, outside of confirming Galaxy and Brawl, no other games were even mentioned, and aside from Corruption, not a single new title was on display. What followed was like a trip to the Twilight Zone as Reggie took the stage to declare Nintendo's master plan.

Was he concerned that the machine has become the mecca for sub-par ports in its first year? No. Or that as third parties begin to develop dedicated PS3 and Xbox 360 games, even those ports will soon dry up? Uh...no. Did he announce any exciting new titles or at least explain where all the old ones were? Negative.

No, what Reggie explained is that it's your mom they want; that games like Nintendogs would pave the way for generations of Wii gamers to come. Nintendo's focus will now shift from the core gamer to the casual to very casual gamer. He concluded the diatribe on their new demographic by throwing us casual gamers a bone, albeit a tiny gnawed-on chicken wing, by proclaiming that Nintendo would never forget who got them here - that would be you and me - but that doesn't change the fact that in one calendar year Nintendo has not announced a single first-party game for the real-gamer demographic. They can't even be troubled to crank out a localization of Fire Emblem. Wow...thanks Redge: I can stop dreaming about Heavenly Sword and Fable 2 now.

While the Wii definately has some great games left on the schedule (the same ones) along with a trickle of third-party exclusives, the future of the Wii does not revolve around us gamers. That ship has sailed. While we dust ourselves off and head for higher HD ground, yeah, it hurts a bit, but I wonder if it will actually work? I don't blame Nintendo for stepping outside of the 360/PS3 arena and doing something different, but I don't understand why they have to ditch us to do it. It makes sense to cash in on the virtual pet/brain/twister/pedestrian sports craze (I guess), given their hardware and unique controller (not to mention they're also sitting on the world's hottest hardware in the DS). I just wonder if the casual gamer can support a console? I was really looking forward to Wii exclusives designed to the system's considerable strengths. Metroid Prime 3 Corruption really shows the potential of the machine, as do games like No More Heroes, NiGHTS, Red Steel 2, and Zake & Wiki.

In the meantime we'll of course relish every Mario, Metroid, and Zelda as few and far between as they may be, but for now let's take a moment of silence to remember the Nintendo of old...We never did get a Kid Icarus.

-Dave Halverson Editor In Chief"

cold hard truth.

ckmlb said:
I agree to stop debating this till E3 for now to see what are the announcements.

Mario birdseeing game, Mario sightseeing, Zelda fishing, Luigi walking game and Nintendo cats and mice.

Around the Network

Well I might be a little bit biasad, as a Nintendo fan, but when was the last time Nintendo showed anything that they were to reveal on E3 before E3? So far as a Nintendo fan we might have some small rumors at this time but mostsly we are totaly gone when it comes to what they are going to reveal.

Of course if they only is showing more non-games like Nintendodogs I might become a little bit sad, but as long as I get FE I think I will be happy. Which I think is likely.

EDIT:

Ohh and the whole post sounds like somebody that is very much lika childish rant. Of course Reggie should talk about getting my mum to play, that is the essen of the blue ocean. I also think that they will continue to support their old fanbase just as they have done on Nintendo DS (NSMB, Yoshia, Advance Wars, Mario Kart, Zelda and more). Of course I would like some new core IP:s, so I am hopping that Project H.A.M.M.E.R. isn't cancelled and I am hoping for some other fun games. I want a new real donkey kong with "real" controllers. But I am not yet worried, I might be if nothing new at all is announced this year.

BUT: Would you as Reggie announce any new games now when you know that you have three heavy hitters coming out this autum?

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!