By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sets 150m sales target for PS3,PS2 passes 140 million units !

There is only one way to make this happen and that's for Sony to keep selling the PS3 in the 8th generation as it's main console.

Hearing talk like this and having a console with a higher tech than the other consoles this gen is making me wonder if that's what Sony is thinking.

Now before you call me nuts hear me out. PS3 will be a cheap blu-ray player even 10 years down the road (When most people will have HDTVs and will need a Blu-ray player to truly enjoy it) and i doubt that Sony wants to invest more in R&D considering their losses this gen they may abandon the PS3 and the Playstation brand in general as a mainly gaming machine and may present it as a system that plays Blu-Ray, Downloadable content, Music, oh and games too.

Will this work, a multi-gen console, well idk cuz it's never been tried before, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's what Sony is planning.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

Around the Network

PS3 is poised to sell huge amounts of units in the future....time will tell...i find it crazy that a console priced at $400/$500/$600 sold 14 million units with a much weaker game library than wii and 360(at this point)

evilman279 said:
FishyJoe said:
evilman279 said:
ioi said:
I agree with the Source that this is either some very fancy rounding up or a typo - PS2 shipments shouldn't be much over 130m by now.

Also 150m PS3s is insane, 60-70m is my target and that is if things pick up after price drops and 360 fades and so on so even that may be ambitious.

You are incorrect, these numbers are 100% legit coming from sony themselves, jack tretton announced the ps2 had sold 143 million consoles since its launch to this date, at there press conference, also he added that 140 million of those ps2 sales, are from consumers, Therefore, you are incorrect, and are NO ONE to question these numbers

Hmmm. The only other hit I get with a google search for the term 143 Million, Tretton and PS2 is a gametrailers forum post by Leo-J. That's an odd coincedence...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=ovg&q=ps2+%22143+million%22+tretton&btnG=Search

Again with leo-j you can track my ip for all I care, its a FACT I am not leo-j, Anyhow, Watch the conference, and watch the gametrailers, interview with jack tretton, he announces that the playstation 2 has sold 143 million consoles world wide to date(I believe its shipped), then he is questioned on the interview as to why the ps3 will win this gen, and he states that he has an army of nearly 140 million ps2 consumers. This indicates, that not only have they reached the shipping number of 143 million, but consumer sales are near 140 million.  You can spin it however you'd like, but the FACT remains, the ps2 has shipped 143 consoles, coming from the company itself

Yeah, I'm sure it's a coincedence that out of the millions of pages Google indexes, the only other reference to Tretton saying this was written by Leo-j.

And your IP keeps changing, almost if as someone was using a proxy...

this thread is going nowhere.

we will come back to it after fall 2009, i predict ps3 at 40million by then

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Skeeuk said:
this thread is going nowhere.

we will come back to it after fall 2009, i predict ps3 at 40million by then

Maybe you can answer my question then... ?

Around the Network
fkusumot said:
Skeeuk said:
i certainly am positive.

anything can happen in this world

Anything? Seriously, is there any chance at all that you'll fellate the Duke of Windsor?

not possible im afraid as you seem to have already done that! lets leave this thread now and come back in december 2009 when ps3 is at 40million

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

DMeisterJ said:
Soriku said:
DMeisterJ said:
Somehow the Wii had to get brought in here.

Anyhoo.

It's entirely possible that with ten years it could do 150 million. They'd have to keep pace with at least 15 million for the next few years, with a couple approaching twenty.

Not entirely unlikely, seeing as that Sony does believe in the whole 10 year lifespan thing (look @ the PS2). A lower price point would do wonders.

Nintendo also said the GC would live 10 years. Look what happened.

Personally I think Sony REALLY needs to shut up about the 10 year thing. The PS3 isn't going to last that long, sorry. The PS2 is barely selling now and it's on its 9th year. Do they really think the PS3 will have a shot then when the Wii is goign to be the #1 console and the 360 is eating up PS3 exclusives anyway?

Arrogancy isn't going to get them anywhere.

The PS1 sold for ten years.

The PS2 is in it's eight year, and still doing extremely well, (almost beat the 360 Ww this week), and the PS3 will do the same. I don't see how that's hard to believe.

The PS1 and PS2 were the most popular consoles. Winning breeds lifetime... not force of will.

FishyJoe said:
evilman279 said:
FishyJoe said:
evilman279 said:
ioi said:
I agree with the Source that this is either some very fancy rounding up or a typo - PS2 shipments shouldn't be much over 130m by now.

Also 150m PS3s is insane, 60-70m is my target and that is if things pick up after price drops and 360 fades and so on so even that may be ambitious.

You are incorrect, these numbers are 100% legit coming from sony themselves, jack tretton announced the ps2 had sold 143 million consoles since its launch to this date, at there press conference, also he added that 140 million of those ps2 sales, are from consumers, Therefore, you are incorrect, and are NO ONE to question these numbers

Hmmm. The only other hit I get with a google search for the term 143 Million, Tretton and PS2 is a gametrailers forum post by Leo-J. That's an odd coincedence...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=ovg&q=ps2+%22143+million%22+tretton&btnG=Search

Again with leo-j you can track my ip for all I care, its a FACT I am not leo-j, Anyhow, Watch the conference, and watch the gametrailers, interview with jack tretton, he announces that the playstation 2 has sold 143 million consoles world wide to date(I believe its shipped), then he is questioned on the interview as to why the ps3 will win this gen, and he states that he has an army of nearly 140 million ps2 consumers. This indicates, that not only have they reached the shipping number of 143 million, but consumer sales are near 140 million.  You can spin it however you'd like, but the FACT remains, the ps2 has shipped 143 consoles, coming from the company itself

Yeah, I'm sure it's a coincedence that out of the millions of pages Google indexes, the only other reference to Tretton saying this was written by Leo-j.

Why dont you watch the sony press conference, and stop accusing me of being someone Im not.

FishyJoe said:
evilman279 said:
ioi said:

Sadly calling him Leo-J is an insult to Leo-J.  The only way I see PS3's reaching 150 million is if they somehow get PS3 ahead of the blu-ray curve and make it the cheapest blu-ray out there... and blu-ray becomes the dominant format.

Skeeuk said:
fkusumot said:
Skeeuk said:
i certainly am positive.

anything can happen in this world

Anything? Seriously, is there any chance at all that you'll fellate the Duke of Windsor?

not possible im afraid as you seem to have already done that! lets leave this thread now and come back in december 2009 when ps3 is at 40million

So anything can happen but that's not possible. Well done. Pravda is hiring.