By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sets 150m sales target for PS3,PS2 passes 140 million units !

The PS2 can't even do it, how do they expect the PS3 to do it with an extemeley slow start and higher price point?

the Ps3 would have to shatter every record the Wii and DS just recently broke to even come close to reaching 100 million, let alone 150.

Around the Network

PS3 should sell 10m a year for 2007-2017 on average which will equal 100m total PS3s sold by 2017, i think 150m is possible, but would require an average of 15m PS3s sold on average between 2007-2017

Interesting that Sony senior officers live in the same fantasy land as many of the Sony fanboys on this site.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

I don't think the PS3 can duplicate the PS2 sales.

I am not sure if any console this generation can. The Wii is tracking in that direction but as it is not as dominant in the market as the PS2 was, it is unknown if it can continue to perform in that manner. (But there are no signs that it will be slowing down).

Patcher's point is the standard one about mass market price. The magic number is considered to be $200.

Also, Moore's point should not be ignored. If it is true and PS3 makes 150M, the Wii will make 250M (or there abouts). That is why the Wii gets brought into the conversation. For the first time in three generations, the Sony console is not the market leader.

The PS3 offers a great value -- for those who need their movies in High Def. But unlike the PS2, it requires users to make a complete library change. This did not work for Atari in a competitive environment. It is having the same result for Sony. If history continues like this, Sony will release a PS2 (but not PS3) compatible PS4 while continuing to sell the PS2.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Price point has nothing to do with it.

The PS3 is more aimed as a multimedia device that has gaming as one of it's many features. Wich will be successful but in the long run will fail as a gaming console compared to its predecesor, PS2. This is why it will not get near PS2 sales, but won't a a total failure.

Sony should focus more on gaming than multimedia. They idea of expansion has many obstacles.

Around the Network

the ps3 can do that

i believe PS3 can make more than 110 million, the price tag is the only problem at this point

DMeisterJ said:

The thing is that no one can predict the future.  Price drops, maybe Sony will get agressive with the Third-Party exclusives, maybe MS will bow out of the console race, who knows?!  It's so far off into the future.  All we can do is go on track record, which is that Sony supports it's consoles for ten years, and they will likely do the same for this. Even if they only do release multi-plat games on it, it will be around for the full ten years, and at a lower price point, it's entirely possible.

This is the problem with looking at it through fanboy goggles.  You're only fooling yourself if you actually think you're judging past trends accurately.

It's not fair to say PS sold over 100 million and PS2 sold over 120 million so "going on track record" PS3 will sell over 140 million.

You have to look for the reasons behind the trends.  If we were to keep on going simply by brand name loyalty then the N64 would have continued to dominate and the PS brand would never have gotten off the ground.  PS and PS2 succeeded for several reasons including high profile exclusives and even more importantly wide demographics that could appeal to a broad audience. 

Yes Sony has in the past supported its consoles for 10 years.  But both of those consoles were overwhelming popular and dominant.  They had enough legs in them to sell 10 years after launch to more casual gamers who wouldn't pick it up at a higher price.  The Wii has monopolized the casual market.  Mainstream gamers aren't going to sit around waiting for the PS3 to drop to a lower price when the Wii is already at $250.

Heh, 150M PS3's.
That there is some funny stuff.

Seriously, while the future is not something that can be accurately predicted the current trend does not seem to allow for such numbers.

heh. Maybe. MAYBE 100 million. But that's if a LOT of VERY unlikely things happen. I think the PS3 will be able sell a cool 70-75 million by 2012-2013, but it might not make even that. 150 million? Either that's a typo/mistranslation, or he's seriously out there...

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it