By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sets 150m sales target for PS3,PS2 passes 140 million units !

I haven't read the whole thread so perhaps some sane people have already noted these.. but here are my points.

For PS2, he obviously meant 130 million as they only got to 127mil in December, so no to the 140 mil.
The PS2 has been widely available in Latin America for years, so even if that could somehow have meant 10 million extra sales in the last 6 months (it wouldn't) it didn't because it is already launched there, it's the PS3 that is being 'officially' launched there either recently or soon.

So those two above mean it was a mistake when 140mil was mentioned.

Now about the 130 million... firstly, VGC sales I am sure are a lot lower than reality for PS2 as it has been released in so many places ioi has no information for... but they are not to the sum of 10-11 million lower than reality.

Sony for the life of the PS2 has used a method of reporting "shipments" that included all manufactured units, which means they included units sent to people who bought faulty units (meaning they reported as "shipped" 2 units to the same person for the price of 1 unit) which as the early PS2s were as bad as the X360s for reliability means quite a number of PS2s included in that number were not in fact bought by someone.... my guess is around 5-8 million.

Luckily they have stopped reporting like that, and now refer to shipments as those sent to retail stores, however this has messed up PS2 totals.

Around the Network
Skeeuk said:

playstation 3 will sell more than ps2 in its lifetime.

once the further adoption of HD tv sets, a PS3 will be a very attractive console for the consumer market

the lineup of games this fall for ps3 is staggering, and 2009 2010 and beyond it will only get better.

with little big planet, motor storm 2(check psn video = AWSOME), resistance 2, socom and many other avalaunch titles 2008 is truly the year of the ps3.

i predict 2009 playstation 3 games to be a towering inferno above the 2008 releases, its gonna get that good, with heavy ran, mag, god of war 3, killzone 2, just to name a few

in my opinion as time goes along and developers truly get the best out of the ps3, ps3 will have the best games.

the playstation 3 is akin to a raging tiger in my opinion

• year 1: it finds its teeth
  • year 2: it stretches its claws
  • year 3: it goes in for the kill
  • year 4: it tactifies itself for terrotorial gain
  • year 5: it looks back and sticks 2 fingers up
  • year 6: it will surge ahead and beyond.

in my opinion the playstation 3 is the best value for money product out there.

PS3 gives you the option of purchasing bluray films for you to keep in your collection, and it also gives you the option of getting movies by VOD. only the ps3 can you find this option

all ps3`s come with hard drive as standard and can easily be upgraded to suit your own tatses. i recently bought a brand new hard drive a 60gig sata drive for lol £20 + £1.50 delivery imo that is an absolute bargain and this option is only availible in ps3, you can now buy 80gig for £29.99, 120gig for £37.99 the list is endless.

playstation 3 has all the media functionality you could want including direct to print, printing functions

with the upcoming HOME network which i predict will be a staggeringly huge sucess 2008 is really a great year for gaming. and guess what this is the big one. HOME will be free for you to use when ever you want, including features such as your own room space, mini games space(free) lots of locations movies, music you name it. HOME is where t be at in 2008, only availiable on ps3 only.

playstation 3 offers free online gaming, with many many superb titles using dedicated severs at no extra cost. playstation 3 also supprts a very slick interface which is the easiest interface to navigate aroung, including the best designed PSN store.

PSN store features the highest quality games at the most highest value for money prices, ie very cheap.

playstation 3 also lets you customise and download new themes to suit your own tastes FOR FREE, you do not need to pay for these extras.

talking about extras. playstation 3 is THE ONLY CONSOLE that gives you both built-in wireless conectivity and free controller plug and charge kit together in one go. and to boot ps3 features butooth support. including keyboard headset and bluray remote.

playstation 3 also amazingly enough has the processing power with the CELL to help calculate remedies for ailmets by collaborating with the now world famous folding home project.

in fact the CELL in my opinion makes mount Etna look like a pot noodle gone wrong!

after a shaky start ps3 is beging to find its stride, its surely the must have consumer product for this year and beyond. imo ps3 will have a collosus xmas 2008. I WILL GUARENTE PS3 WILL HAVE A MASSIVE XMAS 2008

stunning games will release on standalone bluray and psn download titles. this trend will be a continuous trend over the life of the ps3, playstation 3 is the only console which wont be dropped after 5 years. its future proof and will provide many many hours of high defintion digital entertainment for all the family

SONY ENTERTAINMENT games publishing is the best in the world, the hurricane of games that will come out over the next few years will suprise everyone, featuring the best grafix and best sound.

playstation 3 is the only console that features a FREE built in browser, ideal to check youtube game reviews etc and also recently ive began using it for vgchartz. if its free you cant beat it.

i know many users on vgchartz are fidgiting about, biting thier nails etc thinking about what console to buy this fall, the choice is simple and can be summed up as thus. "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

it provides the best gaming choices, the best movie choices and the best audio choices, heck the ps3 on ferrari challnge makes my makeshift 8.2 system vibrate the ashtray on my coffee table, who needs dualShock3 when you can have room-rumble.

playstation 3 is by far THE MOST SPECTACULAR ENTERTAINMENT DEVICE EVER RELEASED at only $399 and £299 you would be mad to miss out.

im sorry sega, but im afraid the playstation 3 has overtaken the dreamcast as my fave of all time console.

i hope many of you get a playstation 3 this fall

AND YOU WILL DAMN ENJOY YOUR PURCHASE

so to sum it all up, i agree with the topic set by the OP

I PREDICT PS3 TO BE MORE POPULAR THAN PS2

I PREDICT PS3 TO START TURNING UP THE VOLUME

I PREDICT PS3 TO HAVE A PRICE CUT NEXT YEAR TO £249 WITH A GAME, AND 2 BLURAY MOVIES AND 2 CONTROLLERS.

quick edit. anything can happen in gaming lol

I sincerely hope that Sony paid you very well for your testimonial.

All of the features you listed are great and all, but unfortunately they are all negated by "FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS."  Obviously PS3 doesn't cost that much anymore, but it's symbolic of the PS3's hefty price tag, which is why it is having trouble selling.

Also, you have this:

"It also plays games!"  What it comes down to is most people just want to play games on their video game machine.  PS3 is lagging behind 360 and Wii when it comes to software.

evilman279 said:
ioi said:
I agree with the Source that this is either some very fancy rounding up or a typo - PS2 shipments shouldn't be much over 130m by now.

Also 150m PS3s is insane, 60-70m is my target and that is if things pick up after price drops and 360 fades and so on so even that may be ambitious.

You are incorrect, these numbers are 100% legit coming from sony themselves, jack tretton announced the ps2 had sold 143 million consoles since its launch to this date, at there press conference, also he added that 140 million of those ps2 sales, are from consumers, Therefore, you are incorrect, and are NO ONE to question these numbers

And of course we know Sony's good for their word, yep.

This has been repeated way too many times, and maybe every new forum member should have to watch a short video on it, but there is a difference between what Sony says they've sold and what has actually been sold.  Sony reports on consoles shipped, not consoles sold to consumers.  The difference is, what good does a console do that is sitting on a store shelf or in an inventory warehouse?  So their 140 million number may be correct in terms of PS2's shipped, but that just means there are 10-15 million in unsold inventory around the world.

It's definitely possible. PS3 is selling better than PS2 at the same point (heard this too many times; not going to check) and that's at a higher price. MS has a problem: they don't attract casual gamers. Nintendo has a problem: Wii isn't very powerful. However, while Nintendo has a problem we don't know how big one it'll turn out to be. Right now it's not a problem but it might become one when PS3's price falls to $200 or something else that's good enough.

At this pace PS3 might actually reach 150M. However, there's one thing: which one (PS3 or Wii) will win when PS3 has a decent price? We don't really know. Wii could continue dominating casual market. PS3 could win back PS2 users. PS3 could start dominating the casual market. We can't be certain; we can only guess. This could be when Wii's lack of power might come in; or it might not.

Anyway, Wii's not going to last without something big and I don't mean games. When Wii's out, either its successor or PS3 will start (or continue, depending on what has happened) dominating. I think it's going to be PS3 but it's a bit hard to predict.

Oh, and I don't believe Wii and PS2 have too much common user base. Wii is getting new consumers to play; PS2, I feel, has a slightly different target. I could be wrong here, though.

The PS3 is the console which has the best chance of its sales going UP, not down. Its the only console that has much of its potential in front of it and not behind. I would have to wait and see how long it takes to reach that $199 number, but with its titles coming out I really dont see 150 million being impossible to reach.

Around the Network
ioi said:
2017?? Are you mad?

I can see it, I expect the PS2 to live for another 4 - 5 years.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

The hell? Are people serious?

PS3 will not outsell PS2. Not in a million years. No, no, NO NO!

NO!

This is not going to happen.

When you have ioi questioning people's sanity in a thread, you know it's getting just a tad bit ridiculous.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Zkuq said:
It's definitely possible. PS3 is selling better than PS2 at the same point (heard this too many times; not going to check) and that's at a higher price. MS has a problem: they don't attract casual gamers. Nintendo has a problem: Wii isn't very powerful. However, while Nintendo has a problem we don't know how big one it'll turn out to be. Right now it's not a problem but it might become one when PS3's price falls to $200 or something else that's good enough.

At this pace PS3 might actually reach 150M. However, there's one thing: which one (PS3 or Wii) will win when PS3 has a decent price? We don't really know. Wii could continue dominating casual market. PS3 could win back PS2 users. PS3 could start dominating the casual market. We can't be certain; we can only guess. This could be when Wii's lack of power might come in; or it might not.

Anyway, Wii's not going to last without something big and I don't mean games. When Wii's out, either its successor or PS3 will start (or continue, depending on what has happened) dominating. I think it's going to be PS3 but it's a bit hard to predict.

Oh, and I don't believe Wii and PS2 have too much common user base. Wii is getting new consumers to play; PS2, I feel, has a slightly different target. I could be wrong here, though.

PS3 is tracking ahead of PS2?

The flaw in this stat is that the PS2 didn't have a uniform launch so WW PS3 is tracking along only a few regions of PS2.

Align all the launches and PS3 falls way short of PS2 in America and Japan, the only place it is even remotely close is Europe, Sony's stronghold.

Nobody would have believed the current status quo three years ago, barring the few with theories so far fetched it was actually humorous when they became closer to reality.

And nobody has clairvoyance or the precognitive ability to claim they know where things will be in another three.

Even Nintendo didn't predict their current level of success. They took a gamble with their strategy but the pay off surprised them as much as anyone else. Otherwise they would have scaled up initial production output by no less than 50% rather than struggling to meet demand for over 18 months.

The only conclusion I can arrive at currently is that it is very far fetched indeed to believe the PS3 is on track to hit 100 million units.

But at $199 in 3-4 years, a set top box that provides access to a DD movie and TV show store, HD media playback, and what will very likely be a full line up of retail soft titles in addition to DD soft titles, is very little coinage for a true media center hub.

321tttrini4everz said:
@The Ghost of RubangB

PS1 and PS2 shouldn't be classed with those consoles....

Because......???