By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Engadget: Nintendo MotionPlus Hands-on (hint, they are not impressed)

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/16/nintendo-motionplus-hands-on-blah/

Nintendo MotionPlus hands-on: blah.

So yeah, we got a chance to check out Nintendo's new MotionPlus accessory. Wii Sports Resort is the only title announced right now that requires (or supports) MotionPlus, and we gave a couple of the games a run (like sword fighting and jet-skiing). Basically we're at a loss as to how this does anything truly differently or more effectively than the current controllers. We get that it's got additional MEMS accelerometers that supposedly bring the relationship of motion and gameplay to a more 1:1 ratio, and for the motion types we tested, it worked well enough. We guess. But the experience felt basically the same, so what's the deal?

We had booth rep to explain why we needed the MotionPlus for Sports Resort. Not just because the software requires it, but why it NEEDS it, and not just a regular Wiimote. We were told that with previous Wii Sports games, players could kind of get by with a waggle (this is where he started gesticulating with some what random movements), but now you could play all this crazy stuff, like swords and jet skis. But there was absolutely nothing here that felt like it couldn't be accomplished with the regular Wiimote -- or what the Wiimote originally promised. So if it is more accurate and effective in real space, why not just improve the Wiimote experience instead of trying to hock another $30 accessory? As of right now, we'll pass.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

Weird considering IGN said it worked perfectly and showed a noticeable difference.

Reading it over I don't think they get the idea. YOu'll do the similar motions you did before because you always try to act out realistically because you are real. Except this time it really does come up realistically on the TV.

I don't see what the problem is. This eliminates the waggle issue they always bring up. I mean people always complain about that and now its fixed.

and of course kingofwale needs to post this..

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Probably some anti-wii site who don't like what Nintendo are doing.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network

figures the only nintendo threads KOW makes are negative but whatever

Yeah the IGN Wii team has been pretty trustworthy thus far this generation for me, I've not really heard or seen engadget say much of anything about the Wii.

To Each Man, Responsibility
11ht11 said:
figures the only nintendo threads KOW makes are negative but whatever

Yeah, wonder how long it took to find this topic.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Yeah, it's weird when in IGN said exactly the opposite. I'm with IGN on this one.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

I guess I'll wait til I see more games using this to create an opinion.

If it's going to be a while before Wii Sports Resort comes out, why not implement this technology into all future Wiimotes?

Will there be games that say "MotionPlus required"? It's confusing and a hassle to not only buy up to 4 attachments, but keep on eye on which games require it or not...to the average consumer anyway.

Think about it...in a year from now, when the hottest new game on the market is a 4 player game that requires MotionPlus for all 4 players, and you're going to buy a Wii to play it...you have to buy the Wii and 3 extra controllers already, and on top of that you have to buy 4 MotionPlus attachments? I'd feel cheated for sure.

Nintendo could make a new Wiimote with this technology in it...and offer this attachment for all old owners...that seems like the most consumer-friendly choice...I doubt it would cost Nintendo too much to change production.

But that's just my current issue with it...if this MotionPlus actually works well and opens up significantly different gameplay options...I won't really care...new purchasers will though.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )