By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Engadget: Nintendo MotionPlus Hands-on (hint, they are not impressed)

TWRoO said:

I am wondering thses things myself. I really need to use the thing myself before I can understand the differences.

If you're talking about the difference between the remote now and with this motion plus add-on, I think I can demonstrate.

Here's someone playing the sword mini-game from Wario-Ware.

The Remote can detect which direction it's being tilted in as obviously demonstrated, and can detect certain motions. It can't recgonize where in a 3D space it is currently. If your were to take a few steps in a certain direction, it could know it's moved that way, but not how that's revelant to where it was. Hence why a lot of games used fixed positions like this one, or Zack and Wiki. The remote know's how your holding it, know how you moved it in a certain instance, but not where it is in realation to anything.

Nintendo has attempted to side stepped this with using the sensor bar.  The Photo channel paint cursor get's bigger and smaller when you move the remote forward and back. That's because the camera in remote sees the LEDs on the sensor bar get bigger and smaller and concludes you're moving towards or away from it. This soultion is limited obviously, as it can only knows it's relation to the sesnor bar, through the camera.

The Motion Plus add-on is suppose to rectify this. To demonstrate here's the Wii Resort fencing game.

Notice how when he moves his the remote to the right, the on-screen sword moves to match how's holding then. Not just how he's just tilted it. He then moves his hand to left side of his body, and the sword follows in the same manner the the left side of screen. This add-on allows the remote to detect where it's being moved to, and not just how it was just moved.

You mention boxing in a post after this. Which would be a good example. In Wii Sports, Baseball and Golf appear to move in a 1:1 fashion at times because your character's bat and club are in a fixed position, and can only be tilted. Your hands in Wii Boxing aren't. That's why some people probably disliked it, the remote knows you just threw a punch, it doesn't know where your hand is though. You block by actually titlting and twistng the controllers. The Motion Plus add-on should, in theory, correct that and it might be possible to make a boxing game where your hands literal positions effect the gameplay, as opposed to just their actual motions.

Around the Network

Why is everyone attacking KingofWale? He's simply posting the news. Sheesh.

Seems like lots of people are "trusting" IGN. Where were all of them when GTA IV and MGS4 got tens... *whistles*

OT:

Engadget is wrong. IGN has stated it made a difference, and during the press conference, it looked like it made a difference.

where are they getting the $30 price from? that sounds too expensive.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

wfz said:
Million said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
I'm pretty sure that if you don't understand why 1:1 verses not 1:1 is a big deal, then you're an idiot. Anyone, at all, disagree with that? KoW? Disagree? Send me an email and let me know what you think.

1:1 Versus 1:1 , i'm confused ...

He wasn't very clear with his grammar, but if you actually took the time to look at it, I can't see how you'd be confused. He was comparing a game having 1:1 and a game NOT having 1:1.

thanx for point that out.

Neos said:
and of course kingofwale needs to post this..

He is on his daily bashing... is like a drug I guess... so far we need more details to make a better judgement instead of jumping on the wii bashing train...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network

just wait..... Apple will release the same thing for the iphone and endgadget will praise it to the heavens.

Let me try to explain using Wii Sports Tennis.

In the game as it is now:

-You have to swing the remote in the right direction (back and fore-hand)
-You have to swing at the right time for the ball (which aims left and right, like real tennis)
-You can twist your wrist AS you are swinging (can be used for spinning the ball, but it is not very variable)
-You can swing up or downward AS you are swinging (can be used for volleys and shots that only just clear the net.... This one is the extent of the "1:1" the current Wiimote has)

--------

With the motion-plus, this is the kind of things you could do if there was a new tennis.

-You could hold the wiimote higher or lower BEFORE swinging to get certain shots.
-You could hold the remote still, and the ball would still hit it, which means you could come up to the net and just let the ball hit the racquet for a drop shot.
-The spin control could work perfectly, so you could curve the ball in the air and make it bounce extra high or extra low.
-It could (although the developers would probably leave it out because it would make the game really hard) totally miss hit the ball if you swing too low or high, or the ball could hit the racquet edge.

DMeisterJ said:

Why is everyone attacking KingofWale? He's simply posting the news. Sheesh.

Seems like lots of people are "trusting" IGN. Where were all of them when GTA IV and MGS4 got tens... *whistles*

OT:

Engadget is wrong. IGN has stated it made a difference, and during the press conference, it looked like it made a difference.

Note what I said:

Sqrl said:
Yeah the IGN Wii team has been pretty trustworthy thus far this generation for me, I've not really heard or seen engadget say much of anything about the Wii.

I don't trust the PS3/360 teams at all, the GTA scores were ridiculously high. I beat GTA IV on PS3 (actually did both endings) and the game absolutely does not in any way shape or form deserve a 10 unless you are going to tell me GTA:SA is an 11 on that scale.  Its a great game but its not even a high 9 its a very low 9.

PS - Also I do see what you're saying about the KoW thing, but honestly if you're someone known to dislike a console and you post negative articles about that console.. well you have to expect some people are going to question the motive. As long as people aren't insulting him and stay civil about it then it is fair game imo.

To Each Man, Responsibility

Good demo video.

While this is not quite the killer app I'd been hoping for, it does bring to the Wii closer to what I thought I was originally buying a year and a half ago.

Well worth buying one for the Wii Sports Resort bundle, but if $30 is the actual cost of buying these separately...

It looks like it uses the extra sensor to eliminate dependence upon the IR camera for spatial positioning while still allowing for changes in depth for your character icon; in the case of fencing, a simple graphic of a sword. Beyond the sword, the player character is not responding to user input (no arm animation, body and head appear to only react to computer opponent strikes).

This is still quite a difference from having 1:1 movement for a complex on screen character that will in effect, have to have a near unlimited range of animation in order to properly match the user's motions.

It could be done, but it would require specific animation and coding resources to make it work. Rubber banding tools and inverse kinematics would help, but it probably won't provide any benefit for existing titles and will only benefit those that were specifically coded and animated for use with Motion Plus.

Does anyone realize the nunchuck won't have 1:1? Making 1:1 boxing games... not so possible after all (unless you have four Wiimotes with four motionpluses - nobody is going to pay for that). The tech was probably too expensive or not ready when the Wii was launched so they launched without it.

I think this is a great move. Nintendo has always done this sort of incremental upgrading and I think it is a great way to stay profitable and competitive.