By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's way forward in a world of exclusivity and moneyhatting.

Well, even though they are sticking with the internals, I am pretty confident they will still be blowing money away expanding their inhouse studios.
Of course, this means they wont be using money in "smaller" chunks, but rather more money in less chunks, where MS is handing out "smaller" chunks more often. (And yes, there is moneyhatting going on. It makes no sense to make DLC exclusive to 2/3 of the platforms you are releasing your game on *cough*Fallout 3*cough*)

Around the Network
whatever said:
Faxanadu said:
poor sony, all alone in such a harsh world of capitalism.

This is my problem though, this isn't capitalism.  This isn't the free market.  M$ is subsidizing all of this with money from other businesses.  Similar to what the NY Yankees do in MLB.

you are too funny. that exactly is capitalism.

and look at big bad sony, the humongous electronics company. no money, has to live all on its own, whereas bad nintendo can get all these cross subsidies.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

disolitude said:
whatever said:
disolitude said:
You guys think microsoft is tossing blind checks to 3rd party companies for every game they get developed for their system. You're all nuts.

360 sells way more software worldwide than ps3...is easier to develop for...has more user freindly and dedicated online component for games like rockband/guitar hero which is generating much more revenue...

Why is everyone assuming MS is paying for these games?

One can pretend microsoft is writing blind checks to everyone but they are actually pulling a profit here... with more money available, come better exclusives. All is fair in love and war.

They aren't writing checks for everything.  But they are for a lot of them.  Especially to get JRPGs.  There is certainly no reason, market wise, for a Japanese developer of a Japanese centric game to even consider the 360, never mind make it exclusive for the 360.  Of course money is changing hands.

Thats true...but like i said...when you pull a profit you may have more money to invest in future exclusives.

There is also no reason for Insomniac not to put Resistance on 360 as they are not sony's first party. I'm sure Sony is paying them very well not to do that...

Actually Sony is the one financing Resistance, that's why Insomniac is second party. Otherwise, Resistance would be a third-party exclusive.

disolitude said:
@Lone_Canis_Lupus

So why can't MS have a good relationship with Square? Maybe MS boss and square boss both like gentle summer rain and are best buds now...

Insomniac and Sony have a larger history together. Also, I never said MS payed for it, though I think it is very likely.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Faxanadu said:
whatever said:
Faxanadu said:
poor sony, all alone in such a harsh world of capitalism.

This is my problem though, this isn't capitalism.  This isn't the free market.  M$ is subsidizing all of this with money from other businesses.  Similar to what the NY Yankees do in MLB.

you are too funny. that exactly is capitalism.

and look at big bad sony, the humongous electronics company. no money, has to live all on its own, whereas bad nintendo can get all these cross subsidies.

I'm not saying Sony is any better.  But if you believe this is capitalism, you have no idea what capitalism is.  It is NOT about just throwing money around.

Around the Network

War has changed...

kingofwale said:

It's clear that exclusivities nowaday has moved from away from "fanbase royality" to "whoever issues the biggest check". No doubt there will be few and few third party exclusive titles.

What's Sony's way of facing this? Being the company that doesn't have money to burn, It's clear from E3 that Sony is focusing more and more in internal development.

Agree with it or not, I like the plan, rather than spending millions on other people's game that doesn't guarantee quality (Haze anyone?) Sony will do it within.

Just like who, kow? Who else does that? Who has been doing that all along? Oh yeah, Nintendo. You have them, except it seems you love anything Sony does that copies or rips off Nintendo, so by degree, you're a Nintendo fanboy, since Sony and Microsoft tend to want to do very little besides copy Nintendo's strategy(that's it's been using for years, mind you), hardware, and software as much and as quickly as possible.

When the PSP2 has a touch screen, will you love that too?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Sony will deliver big time. You can be certain of that.

Nintendo was/is forced to depend on first party titles. Sony's first party titles are icing on the multiplat cake.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
kingofwale said:

It's clear that exclusivities nowaday has moved from away from "fanbase royality" to "whoever issues the biggest check". No doubt there will be few and few third party exclusive titles.

What's Sony's way of facing this? Being the company that doesn't have money to burn, It's clear from E3 that Sony is focusing more and more in internal development.

Agree with it or not, I like the plan, rather than spending millions on other people's game that doesn't guarantee quality (Haze anyone?) Sony will do it within.

Just like who, kow? Who else does that? Who has been doing that all along? Oh yeah, Nintendo. You have them, except it seems you love anything Sony does that copies or rips off Nintendo, so by degree, you're a Nintendo fanboy, since Sony and Microsoft tend to want to do very little besides copy Nintendo's strategy(that's it's been using for years, mind you), hardware, and software as much and as quickly as possible.

When the PSP2 has a touch screen, will you love that too?

troll much lately zen?  i think I have read 5 posts by you tonight where you have blatantly trolled.  FYI, Al Gore didn't invent the internet, and Nintendo didn't invent gaming.  OMG!!! Nintendo ripped off the gaming consoles before them, I guess you are not the Nintendo fanboy you come off as either!!111oneoneone