By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's way forward in a world of exclusivity and moneyhatting.

Well yeah, I guess you could say Sony is focusing more on first party games this gen, but that's just because failed to make the PS3 attractive for third parties.

Frankly, the spin you're putting on it is pretty ridiculous. =/

Around the Network

poor sony, all alone in such a harsh world of capitalism.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

disolitude said:
You guys think microsoft is tossing blind checks to 3rd party companies for every game they get developed for their system. You're all nuts.

360 sells way more software worldwide than ps3...is easier to develop for...has more user freindly and dedicated online component for games like rockband/guitar hero which is generating much more revenue...

Why is everyone assuming MS is paying for these games?

One can pretend microsoft is writing blind checks to everyone but they are actually pulling a profit here... with more money available, come better exclusives. All is fair in love and war.

They aren't writing checks for everything.  But they are for a lot of them.  Especially to get JRPGs.  There is certainly no reason, market wise, for a Japanese developer of a Japanese centric game to even consider the 360, never mind make it exclusive for the 360.  Of course money is changing hands.

BengaBenga said:
gorgepir said:
So Sony will be trying to pull a Nintendo?

Actually that was Sony's reason behind it. Sony has said that they couldn't believe that Nintendo made about as much money on Gamecube as Sony did on PS2. There's so much money in software if done well. Sony has rapidly increased its own studio's. Very successfully as well. Sony makes extremely good games.

Part of their failure with PS3 comes from the fact that their studio's aren't delivering yet.

Yes, all the delays have hurt them, but in terms of quality they 1st party has been delivering great games (save for Lair). I think Sony's 1st party is about on par with Nintendo's they just are just really lacking a WRPG and JRPG studio.

Parokki said:
Well yeah, I guess you could say Sony is focusing more on first party games this gen, but that's just because failed to make the PS3 attractive for third parties.

Frankly, the spin you're putting on it is pretty ridiculous. =/

hmmm... what?

DMC4, MGS4, GTAIV, Fallout3, FFXIII, all of them third party games. It's not that it's not attractive for third party, It's just that 50 million dollars Microsoft seemed to be throwing around is more attractive.

Exclusivity might be gone, games still remain.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network
disolitude said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
gorgepir said:
Well considering that Nintendo lost out to Sony for the same reason (focusing more on first party) .... I would think that they would be smarter.

Nintendo was more profitable than Sony in the game division during the PS1+PS2 vs N64+NGC days, so who really lost out? Sony is not really losing the 3rd party franchises either they are just losing their exclusivity. Sony is doing the right thing.

Nintendo was more profitable in the PS1+PS2 vs N64+SNES+GB+GBA+GC era yes...5 on 2...

Yeah you got a good point there....

Faxanadu said:
poor sony, all alone in such a harsh world of capitalism.

This is my problem though, this isn't capitalism.  This isn't the free market.  M$ is subsidizing all of this with money from other businesses.  Similar to what the NY Yankees do in MLB.

whatever said:
disolitude said:
You guys think microsoft is tossing blind checks to 3rd party companies for every game they get developed for their system. You're all nuts.

360 sells way more software worldwide than ps3...is easier to develop for...has more user freindly and dedicated online component for games like rockband/guitar hero which is generating much more revenue...

One can pretend microsoft is writing blind checks to everyone but they are actually pulling a profit here... with more money available, come better exclusives. All is fair in love and war.

They aren't writing checks for everything.  But they are for a lot of them.  Especially to get JRPGs.  There is certainly no reason, market wise, for a Japanese developer of a Japanese centric game to even consider the 360, never mind make it exclusive for the 360.  Of course money is changing hands.

Thats true...but like i said...when you pull a profit you may have more money to invest in future exclusives.

There is also no reason for Insomniac not to put Resistance on 360 as they are not sony's first party. I'm sure Sony is paying them very well not to do that...

disolitude said:
whatever said:
disolitude said:

Thats true...but like i said...when you pull a profit you may have more money to invest in future exclusives.

There is also no reason for Insomniac not to put Resistance on 360 as they are not sony's first party. I'm sure Sony is paying them very well not to do that...

I assume they're paying to keep Ratchet as well, huh? Insomniac and Sony just have a very good relationship with each other.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

@Lone_Canis_Lupus

So why can't MS have a good relationship with Square? Maybe MS boss and square boss both like gentle summer rain and are best buds now...