By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's way forward in a world of exclusivity and moneyhatting.

Exactly like what Nintendo has always been doing (I think they were better off when they left out 3rd party development like on the SNES and N64, honestly). Their 1st party games were always the best, and I'm sure Sony's best games this generation will come from SCEE/SCEA/SCEJ themselves as well. Anyone remembers Legend of Dragoon? ;)

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Around the Network
Xen said:
Sony's internal development teams are quite good... I say that Sony needs itself an RPG team - found one or buy one. I'd say Square Enix if they weren't so big and expensive, I'd go for my 2nd favorite RPG dev - Level 5. If you want your console to have true exclusives - make them yourself. Hope Sony expands on that.

No first party developers are better than Nintendo. Shouldn't Sony try to keep all third parties on board instead of making the same mistake Nintendo did?

Did I invent the time-machine, is it 1992 again?

The fact of the matter is that third party games have been bought (exclusives and ports) for decades now, and the only reason why Sony is in trouble this generation is because they decided to "invest" money into expensive hardware rather than to put it towards game development.

gorgepir said:
Xen said:
Sony's internal development teams are quite good... I say that Sony needs itself an RPG team - found one or buy one. I'd say Square Enix if they weren't so big and expensive, I'd go for my 2nd favorite RPG dev - Level 5. If you want your console to have true exclusives - make them yourself. Hope Sony expands on that.

No first party developers are better than Nintendo. Shouldn't Sony try to keep all third parties on board instead of making the same mistake Nintendo did?

With money? it's just easier to buy them off.

Sony is becoming the nintendo of the N64 era while nintendo is trying to make the Wii become the console Ds,and Microsoft is buying exclusives just like Sony did in previous generations.

Around the Network

Regardless, sony would have some descent titles on the psn, which are good, I was playing flOw yesterday, still addicting. As long as ps3 still gets the game ( ffxiii ) im alright with it. Maybe m$ should share halo and gears next lol

The difference is that Sony still has the games from TPs multi-plat. Nintendo lost them completely to Sony. So they're in a much better position to focus on internal development, as it will be complimentary to the third party games.

gorgepir said:
So Sony will be trying to pull a Nintendo?

Actually that was Sony's reason behind it. Sony has said that they couldn't believe that Nintendo made about as much money on Gamecube as Sony did on PS2. There's so much money in software if done well. Sony has rapidly increased its own studio's. Very successfully as well. Sony makes extremely good games.

Part of their failure with PS3 comes from the fact that their studio's aren't delivering yet.

DMeisterJ said:
The difference is that Sony still has the games from TPs multi-plat. Nintendo lost them completely to Sony. So they're in a much better position to focus on internal development, as it will be complimentary to the third party games.

With the direction Sony are going, they will not keep TP even as multiplat. It is not as if they have stellar sales or something. Sooner or later Microsoft will be able to justify buying exclusives. I think Sony should refocus on third parties and don't take them for granted.

If Microsoft pays for exclusives, why would any third party make games on PS3? Make that why would any sensible TP make games on PS3?

@ gorgepir

They sell close to, on par, and even better in some cases.

Again, you have to understand that the PS3 has a much smaller install base, so you shouldn't expect similar sales.