By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's way forward in a world of exclusivity and moneyhatting.

I was talking about hardware sales, not software.
I meant if the point comes where Microsoft can say to Rockstar that you are going to make 100 million profit from selling GTA5 on PS3, here have it and make it exclusive. If the hardware doesn't significantly pick up, they will be making the same mistake Nintendo did. Or maybe as benga benga says the same ingenuity that Nintendo had.

Around the Network
gorgepir said:
DMeisterJ said:
The difference is that Sony still has the games from TPs multi-plat. Nintendo lost them completely to Sony. So they're in a much better position to focus on internal development, as it will be complimentary to the third party games.

With the direction Sony are going, they will not keep TP even as multiplat. It is not as if they have stellar sales or something. Sooner or later Microsoft will be able to justify buying exclusives. I think Sony should refocus on third parties and don't take them for granted.

If Microsoft pays for exclusives, why would any third party make games on PS3? Make that why would any sensible TP make games on PS3?

Microsoft isn't buying every exclusive they can get. Haven't you noticed that the most 360 (timed) exclusives are JRPG's, which they really needed, or one of the biggest games ever created (GTA IV DC)?

gorgepir said:
So Sony will be trying to pull a Nintendo?

Sony's been publishing more titles yearly for it's home consoles than Nintendo since like 2000. :P

You guys think microsoft is tossing blind checks to 3rd party companies for every game they get developed for their system. You're all nuts.

360 sells way more software worldwide than ps3...is easier to develop for...has more user freindly and dedicated online component for games like rockband/guitar hero which is generating much more revenue...

Why is everyone assuming MS is paying for these games?

One can pretend microsoft is writing blind checks to everyone but they are actually pulling a profit here... with more money available, come better exclusives. All is fair in love and war.

gorgepir said:
kingofwale said:
gorgepir said:
Well considering that Nintendo lost out to Sony for the same reason (focusing more on first party) .... I would think that they would be smarter.

Nintendo lost out completely, (losing FF franchise), while Sony only lost its exclusivity.

Slightly different, but enough for Sony to reconsider its position.

Well if Sony only focuses on internel development as they say they are and Microsoft buys out all third parties, then soon enough all third party franchises will be Xbox360 exclusive. Obvious here.

I think Sony should start shelling out some money.

Sony can't get into a bidding war with M$ as M$ literally has 5X the money. It's fine if some of these games go multiplat as they usually look better on PS3 anyway (GTA4, DMC4). It's very different from when Nintendo lost like ALL third party support in the N64 days. And to be honest those games Sony showed off yesterday were all AAA. Very happy with PS3 right now. Ahhh. Currently playing uncharted.

Around the Network
gorgepir said:
Well considering that Nintendo lost out to Sony for the same reason (focusing more on first party) .... I would think that they would be smarter.

Nintendo was more profitable than Sony in the game division during the PS1+PS2 vs N64+NGC days, so who really lost out? Sony is not really losing the 3rd party franchises either they are just losing their exclusivity. Sony is doing the right thing.

Leetgeek said:
gorgepir said:
kingofwale said:
gorgepir said:

Nintendo lost out completely, (losing FF franchise), while Sony only lost its exclusivity.

Well if Sony only focuses on internel development as they say they are and Microsoft buys out all third parties, then soon enough all third party franchises will be Xbox360 exclusive. Obvious here.

Sony can't get into a bidding war with M$ as M$ literally has 5X the money. It's fine if some of these games go multiplat as they usually look better on PS3 anyway (GTA4, DMC4). It's very different from when Nintendo lost like ALL third party support in the N64 days. And to be honest those games Sony showed off yesterday were all AAA. Very happy with PS3 right now. Ahhh. Currently playing uncharted.

And why did Nintendo lose all third party support?

My guess was because its first party games were too good for third party games to compete. I am afraid the same thing will happen to Sony.

makingmusic476 said:
gorgepir said:
So Sony will be trying to pull a Nintendo?

Sony's been publishing more titles yearly for it's home consoles than Nintendo since like 2000. :P

You missed the point. It was a comparison from the N64 era.

FilaBrasileiro said:
gorgepir said:

Nintendo was more profitable than Sony in the game division during the PS1+PS2 vs N64+NGC days, so who really lost out? Sony is not really losing the 3rd party franchises either they are just losing their exclusivity. Sony is doing the right thing.

Nintendo was more profitable in the PS1+PS2 vs N64+SNES+GB+GBA+GC era yes...5 on 2...

gorgepir said:
kingofwale said:
gorgepir said:

That's really not true, if it becomes bad enough Sony will shell out some cash to keep some major 3rd party games from becoming 360 exclusives, but really it would depend, I doubt MS would want to pay Capcom the amount of money it would take to make DMC5 360 exclusive.