By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's way forward in a world of exclusivity and moneyhatting.

Honestly, Sony's best "chance" right now is to develop internally more. Microsoft seems to be very good at throwing money around and snatching things up. Rare anyone? Nintendo had to respond to this by doing something drastic internally since they get less 3rd party support then anyone. The same thing slowly may happen to Sony. The developers are only loyal to who throws the most money at them. Microsoft has the most. Remember that.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
gorgepir said:

And why did Nintendo lose all third party support?

My guess was because its first party games were too good for third party games to compete. I am afraid the same thing will happen to Sony.

Your guess is totally wrong. It had nothing to do with Nintendo's first party titles and everything to do with how they treated third-party developers.

[QUOTE=WarmachineX]

Sony has a weak first party games system...they have a lot to work on.[/QUOTE]

Please.

Microsoft has a weak first-party. If all the third parties and their IP's went up in smoke, MS would be in the most serious trouble.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

gorgepir said:
So Sony will be trying to pull a Nintendo?

if you mean internal development with zero help for 3rd parties on their systems.. no. Sony will support 3rd parties just not focus on their exclusives.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Lord N said:
gorgepir said:

My guess was because its first party games were too good for third party games to compete. I am afraid the same thing will happen to Sony.

Your guess is totally wrong. It had nothing to do with Nintendo's first party titles and everything to do with how they treated third-party developers.

[QUOTE=WarmachineX]

Please.

Microsoft has a weak first-party. If all the third parties and their IP's went up in smoke, MS would be in the most serious trouble.

if all 3rd parties left M$ all they would have is Halo, Forza, and whatever else they publish which isnt alot. Plus with Bungie being 3rd party now if they left M$ would be screwed royally.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

The days of the 3rd party exclusive are dwinling quickly. The long term winner will be the company that can put out the most Quality, and diverse 1st party games in quanity, while still keeping third parties to produce multi plat games for them. At the moment Sony is the company that is in the best position to do so. Nintendo can do it as well, but they still have some fences to mend with many 3rd party developers. MS is really in the weak seat here as they have little 1st party support at all. this is the right move for Sony, and honestly I think they are doing a pretty good job of it. I really kind of see this as being a transition generation for the Industry. The company that sets themslves up the best for next gen could be a diffacult player to deal with for many generation to come.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
gorgepir said:

if you mean internal development with zero help for 3rd parties on their systems.. no. Sony will support 3rd parties just not focus on their exclusives.

Thanks for explaining what I "mean". Good to know.

The least they can do is support 3rd party, unlike Nintendo. Is that enough? Maybe. Do you think they should risk it?

Lord N said:
gorgepir said:

[QUOTE=WarmachineX]

Please.

I don't think Sony is treating them much better. That is my personal opinion too, maybe I am wrong. It just seems a bit odd to me that Sony would make the same mistake (albeight less in magnitude) that Nintendo did.

gorgepir said:
ssj12 said:
gorgepir said:

Thanks for explaining what I "mean". Good to know.

The least they can do is support 3rd party, unlike Nintendo. Is that enough? Maybe. Do you think they should risk it?

They show they are supporting them with each GDC and dev SKU update.

whatever said:
Faxanadu said:
whatever said:
Faxanadu said:
poor sony, all alone in such a harsh world of capitalism.

This is my problem though, this isn't capitalism.  This isn't the free market.  M$ is subsidizing all of this with money from other businesses.  Similar to what the NY Yankees do in MLB.

you are too funny. that exactly is capitalism.

and look at big bad sony, the humongous electronics company. no money, has to live all on its own, whereas bad nintendo can get all these cross subsidies.

I'm not saying Sony is any better.  But if you believe this is capitalism, you have no idea what capitalism is.  It is NOT about just throwing money around.

it is definitely a valid option in the fight of companies.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

i don't understand what the problem is. sony is still getting the third party games. so what if they lose exclusivity? bottom line, playstation owners still get the games. that's all that matters.