By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 1:1 wiimote addon -FROM NINTENDO- coming e3 preview

Nintendo owns the E3 even before their press conference :)

Around the Network
naznatips said:

bugfix addon?  I'm not sure you understand what this is.

Oh, I'm pretty sure I do. It does what the Wii-mote does, just a lot better (*). And it'd be perfect for the Wii2, as far as I'm concerned. But it's not a balance board, it's not new, just better.

naznatips said:

And if you haven't figured it out yet, much of the Wii's success is built on constantly changing the experience. They want to offer many different experiences on one console.  That's why you get things like the balance board and this.  The idea is that they can keep adding new types of games and new experiences by packing in small peripherals.  This way the gameplay doesn't get stale.

I have, and that's why I own every peripheral on the system they've realeased, and have borrowed others. But they're over doing it as far as I'm concerned. I've got nothing invested in the company or their success, so I don't care whether others buy into this (or into games like Rock Band costing more than their consoles, with all their accessories). But I don't like it one bit, can I?

naznatips said:

Again, think of it as the Wiimote's rumble pack.  It will come packed in with a big exclusive, and it will be supported in many future games, but it's not the replacement for the Wiimote and you don't need it if you don't want it.

If that's the case, it's... not so bad. And if it doesn't make the controler overall worse and awkward, and is not overly expensive, I may just buy it. And if it comes with a good game I'd buy anyway, and it doesn't make it overly expensive, I definitely will buy it. But I still don't like where this is going.

(*) BTW, I'm a software engineer, and incidently I've have worked with, and even teared down, several Wii remotes for multiple augmented reality projects I've been involved with at work. So I really don't need help figuring out what the Wii remote does, and how this can be used to improve on it. We're actually pretty hyped over this unexpected announcement at work, as it can be pretty big for what we do. But as a gaming customer, I still think it (more or less) sucks.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

I assume this new peripheral is aimed at the core market and will come packed with a core game (Disaster?). Future (mostly 3rd party) games will utilize it fully but no one will require it. Much like the N64 Rumble pack....

I think this is a pretty damn near perfect move by Nintendo, at least it will be if they have games on hand the core will love (as promised) to show it off.

Considering the the minor costs of the wheel with Mario Kart and Link's Crossbow training is basically free with the zapper, I doubt highly this will be cost prohibitive for anyone. It'll probably bump whatever game it's included with price by $10 and be well worth it.

GREAT news.

@Peripheral Haters

Wow you guys do realize every CD, DVD or Blu-Ray disc you buy is a peripheral right?

Also you guys do know that the nunchuck is a add-on that is packaged with the controller, yet the Wiimote and nunchuk are peripherals by definition, in fact the GC controlers are peripherals - man you guys have a lot to complain about... heck even the external harddrives, SD cards, and USB cards also the wireless adapter and the IR Bar are all peripherals.

Holy crow - also @dissolute

Your joking right? Everyone of your posts had to be jokes, I'm honestly waiting for the "haha gotcha" part.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network

Who knew an add-on can cause so much attention

Oh right, Nintendo

I'm a little puzzled about why people are complaining about peripherals as well. This is the age of Rock Band! At least this one fits in the palm of your hand rather than occupying your whole living room.

Obviously if the device doesn't add enough value to justify the cost for you, you won't buy it, but ragging on Nintendo for working the peripheral angle seems silly when everybody else is doing the same.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

It's ok though, the more people hate on the peripheral the more it will sell.

The Zelda announcement tomorrow will be huge. :O

What if it's project Hammer?

Skies of Arcadia 2 would be massive.

but it has to be Nintendo.

Hmm what if it's a Poke'mon Wii RPG that plays similar to Diablo 2.