By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Virtua Fighter 5 bombs in Japan - first day sales!!

Well for example Metal Gear Portable Ops and Tales of Mythology sold some 90 000 and 48K units first day for a total of 178 000 and 106K in the week ....thats about 50% .I would say Virtua Fighter 5 will be around 65000-70 000 games sold .Not a super hit but hardly a week .Plus ,fighting games usually have more legs than other genres .

Around the Network

Sure, the game will keep selling for many months - if not years. But most titles do anyway (look at the PSP, and the number of titles at the "low" end of the charts). But what is the perspective here? Its about VF5 helping the PS3 boost console sales, and eventually become the dominant console... right? Look at the top 20 - and DS sales. DS game sales figures are just phenomenal - millions, and millions of units. Not 100,000 or 200,000... 3 or 4 million! *This* is the real danger Sony faces with the PS3 - that it performs exactly the same way in the charts that the PSP has performed. Big titles come out, selling 100,000k units (in a month), then drop to the bottom of the charts. While the big selling (week in, week out) titles are either DS or Wii titles. The Wii is selling out weekly (from what I gather). Wii Play/Sports are selling at a fixed rate (of about 40% attachment). This means in week 40, 50 or 60 - they will sell as many units as VF5 does in week 1. 40k units over a year = 2million sales. Wii sports will hit 1million next week - and its been what... 10 weeks? The PS3 needs a game that will hold its own in the top 10 - and consistently sell at least 10k-20k a week.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Well this game arrived to the shops the day 8 of february and the week ends the 11 ,so it is possible that it doesnt surpass the 50K units ,but the second week will be equally strong ...if games like Resistence and Gundam have sold 110-140k units I doubt VF5 will do worse . As for the DS selling millions of games well its true ,but for third parties this does mean little as 90% of the million sellers are Nintendo games .If you look at the N64 and Cube games in both Japan and USA there are many Nintendo-produced million sellers ,and that didnt mean a thing as most third party companies struggled to make profit from those plattforms and slowly dropped support .And with DS ,despite its phenomenal success ,more of the same is happening .If for example in the US data you remove the Nintendo games for the DS and the SOny ones for the PSP you will see that third party companies have sold much more games on the PSP ...and games at a higher price too .Thats why despite the apparent beating the DS is giving the PSP you see each day games announced for the PSP and not so many for the DS ....thats one of the characteristics and strenghts and weakness of Nintendo ...they sell gazillions of games but the third party not so many and support is dropped slowly

Resistance / Gundam came out in before xmas - this helped boost the sales and push the games over 100k. VF5 will pass 100k eventually (maybe even 150k) but these aren't big sales in the grand scheme of things...

Erik Aston said: VF5 was one of the games that was supposed to help PS3 begin to catch up to Wii week-to-week sales. It was the first of several PS3 games coming out in Feb/March that will be looked at in the context of Wii vs. PS3. It depends how you define the word "hit" I suppose, but 100,000 sales is a pretty mild hit in Japan. There's been well over 1,000 games to reach that mark. Maybe it would be an okay number for the developer all things considered, but in the context of "console wars", it is far from encouraging.
That isn't my definition of the word, 'hit'. It is the general rule of thumb in Japan, but like I said, there are other factors that need to be taken into account. You mean PS3 catch up to Wii in terms of hardware sales? Let's see what the actual sales figures come to then, rather than speculate on rumour, which is what this entire thread is based on. Wii is selling more than PS3 hardware wise, but the software tells a different story. Wii Sports, Hajimete no Wii, and Zelda (to a lesser extent) are the big sellers, and pretty much everything else has done poorly. Even the Pokemon game has severly underperformed (200,000 maybe, but that has to be the poorest selling Pokemon game to date). Excite Truck just tanked in Japan, and pretty much all third party titles have sold really poorly. This week it is Cooking Mama Vs VF5. Let's see what happens...

PSN - hanafuda

Around the Network

Diomedes1976 said: Well this game arrived to the shops the day 8 of february and the week ends the 11 ,so it is possible that it doesnt surpass the 50K units ,but the second week will be equally strong ...if games like Resistence and Gundam have sold 110-140k units I doubt VF5 will do worse . As for the DS selling millions of games well its true ,but for third parties this does mean little as 90% of the million sellers are Nintendo games .If you look at the N64 and Cube games in both Japan and USA there are many Nintendo-produced million sellers ,and that didnt mean a thing as most third party companies struggled to make profit from those plattforms and slowly dropped support .And with DS ,despite its phenomenal success ,more of the same is happening .If for example in the US data you remove the Nintendo games for the DS and the SOny ones for the PSP you will see that third party companies have sold much more games on the PSP ...and games at a higher price too .Thats why despite the apparent beating the DS is giving the PSP you see each day games announced for the PSP and not so many for the DS ....thats one of the characteristics and strenghts and weakness of Nintendo ...they sell gazillions of games but the third party not so many and support is dropped slowly
I still think its a bit early to tell on VF 5. But as for your DS assesment; yes, Nintendo is the prime mover in Software. But that's not scaring away third party support at all. Just look at this week's top fifty in Japan, there are 2 third party PSP titles and 15 third party DS titles. In Japan, the PSP has nine games by third parties that have sold more than 200,000, The DS has 15 (3 of which are million sellers, assuming Final Fantasy 3 gets there next week). And with the continued surge in DS sales and actual decreased PSP sales in Japan from last year probably means the trend of more third party success on the DS will continue. It's hard not to draw parallels between the DS/PSP competition and the Wii/PS3. Especially with the Wii games series looking to be Nintendo's next brain Training like Success.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

hanafuda said: Erik Aston said: VF5 was one of the games that was supposed to help PS3 begin to catch up to Wii week-to-week sales. It was the first of several PS3 games coming out in Feb/March that will be looked at in the context of Wii vs. PS3. It depends how you define the word "hit" I suppose, but 100,000 sales is a pretty mild hit in Japan. There's been well over 1,000 games to reach that mark. Maybe it would be an okay number for the developer all things considered, but in the context of "console wars", it is far from encouraging. That isn't my definition of the word, 'hit'. It is the general rule of thumb in Japan, but like I said, there are other factors that need to be taken into account. You mean PS3 catch up to Wii in terms of hardware sales? Let's see what the actual sales figures come to then, rather than speculate on rumour, which is what this entire thread is based on. Wii is selling more than PS3 hardware wise, but the software tells a different story. Wii Sports, Hajimete no Wii, and Zelda (to a lesser extent) are the big sellers, and pretty much everything else has done poorly. Even the Pokemon game has severly underperformed (200,000 maybe, but that has to be the poorest selling Pokemon game to date). Excite Truck just tanked in Japan, and pretty much all third party titles have sold really poorly. This week it is Cooking Mama Vs VF5. Let's see what happens...
The Wii software numbers in Japan are looking pretty good actually. Wii Sports and Play are going to be million Sellers, Zelda and Wario Ware are both 300,000 plus, and you've got to remember that Pokemon Battle Revolution isn't a full fledged pokemon game, and it's actually doing quite well compared to similar games on Gamecube. 209 thousand in 8 weeks for a launch title sounds pretty good to me (it is 80 thousand ahead of the highest selling PS3 game). I think its safe to assume that Nintendo didn't make Exite truck for Japan. Yes, Japan's Wii growth is mostly Nintendo right now, but that's how the DS started over there, and Third parties have found quite a bit of a success since then. As for VF5, considering that it's a port of an Arcade game and only a timed exclusive on home consoles (with the dev's stating that the 360 version will be the better of the two), I'm not sure why people are expecting it to be the saviour of the system. I'm sure that there will be many, many titles on the PS3 in the next few months that will sell quite a bit more than VF5

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Wii Sports, Hajimete no Wii, and Zelda (to a lesser extent) are the big sellers, and pretty much everything else has done poorly. Even the Pokemon game has severly underperformed (200,000 maybe, but that has to be the poorest selling Pokemon game to date). Excite Truck just tanked in Japan, and pretty much all third party titles have sold really poorly.
First off if you scratch off Wii Sports,Play, and Zelda you still have: 4. Warioware 321,000 5. Pokemon 209,000 6. Dragon Ball Z 2 82,000 The PS3's Best selling games are 1. Ridger Racer 7 129,000 2. Gundam Target in Sights 127,000 3. Resistence 110,000 So it's hard to say it's sales are poor especially in comparison to the ps3's software sales. In fact the Wii is selling 3 to every 1 ps3, but the software is selling 6 to 1. I have to agree with stof, I do think too much was expected of VF5, I think that Gundam title coming next month has a lot more buzz and will be the first big ps3 game in Japan.

stof said: hanafuda said: Erik Aston said: VF5 was one of the games that was supposed to help PS3 begin to catch up to Wii week-to-week sales. It was the first of several PS3 games coming out in Feb/March that will be looked at in the context of Wii vs. PS3. It depends how you define the word "hit" I suppose, but 100,000 sales is a pretty mild hit in Japan. There's been well over 1,000 games to reach that mark. Maybe it would be an okay number for the developer all things considered, but in the context of "console wars", it is far from encouraging. That isn't my definition of the word, 'hit'. It is the general rule of thumb in Japan, but like I said, there are other factors that need to be taken into account. You mean PS3 catch up to Wii in terms of hardware sales? Let's see what the actual sales figures come to then, rather than speculate on rumour, which is what this entire thread is based on. Wii is selling more than PS3 hardware wise, but the software tells a different story. Wii Sports, Hajimete no Wii, and Zelda (to a lesser extent) are the big sellers, and pretty much everything else has done poorly. Even the Pokemon game has severly underperformed (200,000 maybe, but that has to be the poorest selling Pokemon game to date). Excite Truck just tanked in Japan, and pretty much all third party titles have sold really poorly. This week it is Cooking Mama Vs VF5. Let's see what happens... The Wii software numbers in Japan are looking pretty good actually. Wii Sports and Play are going to be million Sellers, Zelda and Wario Ware are both 300,000 plus, and you've got to remember that Pokemon Battle Revolution isn't a full fledged pokemon game, and it's actually doing quite well compared to similar games on Gamecube. 209 thousand in 8 weeks for a launch title sounds pretty good to me (it is 80 thousand ahead of the highest selling PS3 game). I think its safe to assume that Nintendo didn't make Exite truck for Japan. Yes, Japan's Wii growth is mostly Nintendo right now, but that's how the DS started over there, and Third parties have found quite a bit of a success since then. As for VF5, considering that it's a port of an Arcade game and only a timed exclusive on home consoles (with the dev's stating that the 360 version will be the better of the two), I'm not sure why people are expecting it to be the saviour of the system. I'm sure that there will be many, many titles on the PS3 in the next few months that will sell quite a bit more than VF5
Devs stating the 360 version will be the better of the two ? If you want to talk nonsense at least provide a link . Not that it couldnt ,but it has already been said it wont have online in the 360 ,and no company would say right now that the version that wont be released in 6 months will be the good one .So stop smoking the herbs MS sells you ,they are clouding your common sense . As for the Wii software ....Wii Sports and Wii Play have great numbers as show offs of the console ..the second one comes bundled with a Wiimote by the way so doubt if people are buying it because the Wiimote or the game ....Zelda and Wario Ware have good numbers but in the line of the PS3 big titles (double number of Wiis sold double number of Zeldas and Warios than Resistences and Ridge Racers 7 ) ......4 Nintendo games and all the third party efforts are bombing .Even Dragonball and Pokemon have flopped .We will see what happens in the next months ,but selling millions of its own games and not letting place for the third party software has been the trend that has put Nintendo in a weak position outside the handhelds ...

Better was the wrong word to use, but the PS3 version is based on the B version of the arcade game, and the 360 version, supposedly, will be running the improved and refined C version. And knee jerk accusations of fanboyism aren't very condusive to debate you know. As for your software argument If your comparing it to number of consoles sold, the software attatch rate is still heavily in the Wii's favour Wii - Hardware = 1,510,500 - Software = 3,302,250 PS3 - Hardware = 642,500 - Software = 651,500 As I stated earlier, the pokemon game hasn't flopped, it's not the next installment in the pokemon series you know, and 209, 000 in 8 weeks is pretty good. Dragonball was already out for some time on the PS2, so 80 thousand doesn't seem too bad at this point. You've got to remember that this is pretty close to launch. A lot of these games - on both platforms - should be expected to see long term steady sales as more people buy the consoles.