By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Virtua Fighter 5 bombs in Japan - first day sales!!

Wii Games worth buying in japan. 3 or 4. PS3 games worth buying in japan. Zero (no RPGs. No silly little pointless games) RPG > Silly little pointless games in Japan... Nintendo has 1 AAA game. Sony has 1 A game. Wait till Sony gets their game on with some games. The japanese are smart. The japanese market dosent usually take off for 6-12 months after a Sony Launch. :) History repeats itself. PS3 is selling fine.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

Kwaad said: The japanese are smart. The japanese market dosent usually take off for 6-12 months after a Sony Launch. :) History repeats itself. PS3 is selling fine.
Yeah, History is repeating, PS3 is selling exactly like PS2. PS3 after 13 weeks, with christmas: 642500 PS2 after 13 weeks, without christmas: 1915000 History is repeating.

I think many miss the big point here... During Januari everybody was stating just wait for VF5 that will sell a lot of units. If VF5 was only selling 32000 first day how many extra PS3 were sold? 10k? 20k? I do belive that VF5 will sell well in the long run and have legs, BUT it was not the "savior" sony needed against Nintendo. If Nintendo succed selling 70k Wii this week, it wont help sony if they reach 50k. Sony needs a great game to drive the sells and as Kwaad has pointed out that game hasn't arrieved yet. I do belive that next FF will sell really well and so will MGS (just look at the PSP version). When these games arrive we will probarbly see higher sells but untill then? What is coming out on the PS3? Nintendo has their system seller: Wii Sport/Play. Then they have some games that sells ok, Zelda, Wario, Pokemon. Sony has? Still I think we will see a higher PS3 numbers last week than we had before, but max 50k. (Out of thread, anybody that knows when the american feb numbers will be out?)

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

stof said: You've got to remember that this is pretty close to launch. A lot of these games - on both platforms - should be expected to see long term steady sales as more people buy the consoles.
I'll be keeping my eyes open for some impressive figures from the following then: Necro Nesia Swing Golf Panya Monkey Ball Red Steel Excite Truck Korinpa Elebits That Gundam game that tanked Wing Island I could go on, but you get the idea. I see third parties abandoning the Wii just like the Cube because they can't compete with Nintendo themselves.

PSN - hanafuda

Besides ,this needs some clarification . First ,VF5 sales have been somewhat stopped due to the problem with the Sega Stick that has been proved faulty . Second ,VF5 was never in the Famitsu Most Wanted section . For a look at that section here you have http://www.jeux-france.com/news19162_famitsu-most-wanted-19-01-25-01-.html 1. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, Square Enix) 2. Dragon Quest IX : Protectors of the Sky (NDS, Square Enix) 3. Resident Evil 5 (PS3, Capcom) 4. Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3, Konami) 5. Monster Hunter Portable 2 (PSP, Capcom) 6. Persona 3 Fes (PS2, Atlus) 7. Gundam Muso (PS3, Namco Bandai) 8. Super Robot Taisen : Original Generations (PS2, Banpresto) 9. Gyakutensaiban 4 (NDS, Capcom) 10. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii, Nintendo) 11. Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360, Microsoft) 12. Higurashi no Naku Kei ni Matsuri (NDS, Alchemist) 13. The Legend of Zelda : Phantom Hourglass (NDS, Nintendo) 14. Final Fantasy Versus XIII (PS3, Square Enix) 15. Super Robot Taisen W (NDS, Banpresto) 16. Devil May Cry 4 (PS3, Capcom) 17. Monster Hunter 3 (PS3, Capcom) 18. Fire Emblem : The Goddess of Dawn (Wii, Nintendo) 19. Dragon Quest Swords : The Masked Queen and The Tower of Mirrors (Wii, Square Enix) 20. Crisis Core : Final Fantasy VII (PSP, Square Enix) There are a lot of games for the PS3 that interest the japan users ,but most will be around not in the too near future ...the closer will be Gundam Mussou and that one is gonna sell and its gonna sell some consoles as it will be proposed in a bundle with the PS3 .

Around the Network

hanafuda said: stof said: You've got to remember that this is pretty close to launch. A lot of these games - on both platforms - should be expected to see long term steady sales as more people buy the consoles. I'll be keeping my eyes open for some impressive figures from the following then: Necro Nesia Swing Golf Panya Monkey Ball Red Steel Excite Truck Korinpa Elebits That Gundam game that tanked Wing Island I could go on, but you get the idea. I see third parties abandoning the Wii just like the Cube because they can't compete with Nintendo themselves.
Well first of all, Excite Truck is made by Nintendo. Or atleast it is Nintendo that has been published it. Second: Red Steel might not sell in Japan, BUT ubisoft has stated that they are pleased with the sells WW. With roughly 250k in USA alone and Rayman is also going strong. Red Steel 2 is already in production so Ubisoft must have felt that they have made som money at least. The rest I can confess has not been seen in any larger part, BUT to state that the third parties will aband Wii because of this when their is a lot of announcment comming now makes me wounder what you are smoking. SE has proved on the DS that it is possible to compet with Nintendo, FF and DQM. The elebits team can't be to disapointed because they are making a new game slated for 2007. Dews Advantures (sp?) that at least I will pick up if I can get my hands on a Wii. Of course they might abandoning Wii in the long run, but at least Ubisoft is making some money from Wii. EDIT: And Madden NFL has sold 200k on Wii until december in USA (that is roughly 20% attacment). So yes I do think that we will see some continued support from third parties.

robjoh said: hanafuda said: stof said: You've got to remember that this is pretty close to launch. A lot of these games - on both platforms - should be expected to see long term steady sales as more people buy the consoles. I'll be keeping my eyes open for some impressive figures from the following then: Necro Nesia Swing Golf Panya Monkey Ball Red Steel Excite Truck Korinpa Elebits That Gundam game that tanked Wing Island I could go on, but you get the idea. I see third parties abandoning the Wii just like the Cube because they can't compete with Nintendo themselves. Well first of all, Excite Truck is made by Nintendo. Or atleast it is Nintendo that has been published it. Second: Red Steel might not sell in Japan, BUT ubisoft has stated that they are pleased with the sells WW. With roughly 250k in USA alone and Rayman is also going strong. Red Steel 2 is already in production so Ubisoft must have felt that they have made som money at least. The rest I can confess has not been seen in any larger part, BUT to state that the third parties will aband Wii because of this when their is a lot of announcment comming now makes me wounder what you are smoking. SE has proved on the DS that it is possible to compet with Nintendo, FF and DQM. The elebits team can't be to disapointed because they are making a new game slated for 2007. Dews Advantures (sp?) that at least I will pick up if I can get my hands on a Wii. Of course they might abandoning Wii in the long run, but at least Ubisoft is making some money from Wii. EDIT: And Madden NFL has sold 200k on Wii until december in USA (that is roughly 20% attacment). So yes I do think that we will see some continued support from third parties.
SE may be the only third party company that is seeing some significant revenue fron the DS .Always if we follow the path of some posters that to see profit you need multimillion sellers .FFIII and DQJoker are around 1 million y Japan and considerably worse in the US the first one .Not good numbers for a DQ or FF game if you ask me ,but good numbers nonetheless .THQ is making a lot of money with its kiddies games .But others as Ubi and Capcom in their annual data they have shown the PSP amounts for more in their annual revenue that the DS .Even in Japan ,PSP worst territory ,Capcom has a million seller as Monster Hunter and nothing comparable for the DS . The issue the other poster adresses is that this is the exact trend of the other Nintendo consoles .....Nintendo games sells millions ,the third party games sell a lot less excepting a handful ,kiddies games are strong and finally that determines the support of the third parties ;some multiplatforms ,some kiddie games ,a handful of exclusives negotiated in the first days of the console and the NIntendo games .Enough ? Maybe ,but for the Cube it hastn been .

Diomedes1976 said: SE may be the only third party company that is seeing some significant revenue fron the DS .Always if we follow the path of some posters that to see profit you need multimillion sellers .FFIII and DQJoker are around 1 million y Japan and considerably worse in the US the first one .Not good numbers for a DQ or FF game if you ask me ,but good numbers nonetheless .THQ is making a lot of money with its kiddies games .But others as Ubi and Capcom in their annual data they have shown the PSP amounts for more in their annual revenue that the DS .Even in Japan ,PSP worst territory ,Capcom has a million seller as Monster Hunter and nothing comparable for the DS . The issue the other poster adresses is that this is the exact trend of the other Nintendo consoles .....Nintendo games sells millions ,the third party games sell a lot less excepting a handful ,kiddies games are strong and finally that determines the support of the third parties ;some multiplatforms ,some kiddie games ,a handful of exclusives negotiated in the first days of the console and the NIntendo games .Enough ? Maybe ,but for the Cube it hastn been .
First you don't need to sell millions of game to make a profit, if you would almost no new games would be made. Only SE that makes money from the DS...Sega? I wont state that Wii is the promise land for the third parties, but I do think it is wrong to state that Wii wont get any support if it will continue to sell better than PS3 and beat Xbox360 WW. With Reggie on board to change the image of Nintendo I think we will see more than Manhunter 2 when it comes to mature games, but how should I know anything can happend :) But DS shows that if you makes some effort you can make money, DQ is selling extreamly well, it is not the main series. Let see what happens to DQIX. If that wont reach 4 millions you are winning. Capcom has so far just given the DS a lot of shit...and that is their problem not Nintendo. I think that Sega, Ubisoft, EA and SE will give a lot of support for the Wii. That plus some small third parties combined with the might machine Nintendo might be enough, but who knows? ;)

There are 38 3rd party games not from Square Enix that have sold at least 100,000 copies*. There are five more games not from Square Enix within 5,000 copies of crossing the 100k barrier. By Comparison, 22 3rd party games not from Square Enix have sold at least 100,00 copies on PSP. With one game within 5,000 units of crossing the 100k mark. *Using Hanafuda's assertion that anything over 100,000 is a hit. Diomedes have you seen the sales of Capcom's games besides Monster Hunter on PSP? The only thing your point about Monster Hunter proves is that they need to make one for DS. The three other Capcom titles on PSP have sold less than 100,000 combined. Actually looking at the charts for DS, a lot of minor third parties such as Rocket Company, IE Institute, Tomy, Hudson, Spike, Marvelus, and MTO are having success on DS. Enterbrain is the only minor 3rd party with game of over 100k in sales on PSP. Konami, Square Enix, Bandai, Namco, and Sega are the only third parties having success on PSP and they are having success on DS as well despite putting their more recognizable franchises on PSP.

I just want to take a moment to put a few things in place. Nintendo's huge sales have warped everyone into believing that third parties fail on the DS. Nintendo is the only publisher in the world for any system that can produce 4+ million sellers on a consistent basis. So don't go by the top 10 list. And for anyone who thinks thats a bad thing just remember they're showing the third parties what to aspire too(Not to mention stretching the user base). The best selling psp game in japan is monster hunters with 934,000. No third party can break a million on the psp. and here is the kicker after Monster hunter the second best selling third party game in japan is Metal Gear Solid: Portalable Ops. with 345,000. That's awful when comparted to the low budget and poorly reviewed Tamagatchi games that scored a million in sales on the DS, how about Sega's Love and Berry with 880,000, how about a stinking quiz game, Kanji Quiz with 420,000. They look at the PSP and see they need to make a big budget highly marketed game to even break a 100,000. and Even the big guys would deem a million seller as impossible. On the DS they see the sky as being the limit, and low budget crap could break a 100,000 in sales. In fact the biggest reason a third party might not sell on a Nintendo system is because they do go the low budget route. Red Steel did do well in America, and yet look at the quality of it compared to Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six for the 360, those are highly accliamed, existing franshises. Red Steel is new and poorly reviewed, also the Splinter Cell they do get is a mediocre port, and the horrible Far Cry port. Can we actually pretend that people are biased against non-Nintendo published games when the third parties are making crap? If Red Steel had a huge budget and played brilliantly and everyone raved, and still didn't sell well then I'd see the problem, but that simply is not the case. Plus Nintendo doesn't produce many genre games, like Sports, realisitic racers, FPS, traditional rpgs, realistic fighters, sand-box type games, so when these types of games are produced for Nintendo systems they're not even competing directly with Nintendo produced games.