By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Virtua Fighter 5 bombs in Japan - first day sales!!

Man I got off topic. Sorry guys. Back to VF5. I know a lot has been made of the game having legs and selling well overtime but previous VF game sales data doesn't support that. The only VF game that had "legs" and sold a high number of units weekly over time was VF1. The rest of the VF games sold like most Japanese games. A large number the first week with a steadily declining total their after. VF1 Week 1 51,750 Week 2 42,750 Week 3 40,000 Week 4 7,000 Week 7 40,000 Week 34 110,750 Week 35 41,500 VF2 Week 1 499,000 Week 2 173,000 Week 3 110,750 Week 4 70,250 Week 7 40,750 Week 34 2,250 Week 25 2,250 VF3 Week 1 110,250 Week 2 27,500 Week 3 22,750 Week 4 19,500 Week 7 14,000 Week 34 5,250 Week 35 3,500 VF4 Week 1 367,500 Week 2 71,500 Week 3 37,250 Week 4 17,000 Week 7 4,500 Week 34 250 Week 35 250

Around the Network

Should we be surprised that it is underperforming? The PS3 has yet to break 1,000,000 units sold in Japan and is expensive enough that (even in Japan) few people are going to buy it on a whim. For the game to have performed well over 1/2 of all PS3 owners would have had to buy the game, or the PS3's userbase would have had to grow by at least 100,000 new users who bought the system and game.

Do people here realize there is talk now about how third parties are abandoning PSP? That 2008 may be the year the system gets "Gamecube'd"? The support is falling through for that system, even as mega exclusives like DQ9 get announced for DS. If DS were outperforming PSP based solely on Nintendo games, it would just be scary, because it would mean that Nintendo was outperforming every other developer in the world combined. But that is obviously not the case.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

hanafuda said: stof said: You've got to remember that this is pretty close to launch. A lot of these games - on both platforms - should be expected to see long term steady sales as more people buy the consoles. I'll be keeping my eyes open for some impressive figures from the following then: Necro Nesia - You make a crappy game and it's going to bomb on any console Swing Golf Panya - your right, it's not doing too well. Monkey Ball - 200,000 in NA so far, don't have the numbers for Europe Red Steel - 257,000 in NA so far and the second highest selling game, believe the numbers are good in Europe Raving Rabbigs - over 200,000 in NA and the second highest selling game. Excite Truck - 147,000 in NA so far, and it's published by Nintendo, so it's not selling huge sort of goes against your Nintendo only argument Korinpa - Your right, it's not doing too well. Elebits - Not so hot in Japan, but I'm expecting some good January NA numbers That Gundam game that tanked Wing Island I could go on, but you get the idea. I see third parties abandoning the Wii just like the Cube because they can't compete with Nintendo themselves.
I was merely pointing out that traditionally, launch titles (the good ones) see long periods of sustained sales. Thats just something that happens. As for your third party arguments, Look at the NA top 10. 2 Nintendo titles. EA and Ubisoft have said they're both quite happy with Wii sales and have aggresively pushed forward on development, as have numerous other companies. The Wii looks like the console to finally bring Nintendo back into the third party fray.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

fooflexible said: Red Steel is new and poorly reviewed, also the Splinter Cell they do get is a mediocre port, and the horrible Far Cry port. Can we actually pretend that people are biased against non-Nintendo published games when the third parties are making crap?
amen

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Around the Network

Darc Requiem said: There are 38 3rd party games not from Square Enix that have sold at least 100,000 copies*. There are five more games not from Square Enix within 5,000 copies of crossing the 100k barrier. By Comparison, 22 3rd party games not from Square Enix have sold at least 100,00 copies on PSP. With one game within 5,000 units of crossing the 100k mark. *Using Hanafuda's assertion that anything over 100,000 is a hit. Diomedes have you seen the sales of Capcom's games besides Monster Hunter on PSP? The only thing your point about Monster Hunter proves is that they need to make one for DS. The three other Capcom titles on PSP have sold less than 100,000 combined. Actually looking at the charts for DS, a lot of minor third parties such as Rocket Company, IE Institute, Tomy, Hudson, Spike, Marvelus, and MTO are having success on DS. Enterbrain is the only minor 3rd party with game of over 100k in sales on PSP. Konami, Square Enix, Bandai, Namco, and Sega are the only third parties having success on PSP and they are having success on DS as well despite putting their more recognizable franchises on PSP.
Japan is the worst market for PSP,in any case 38 vs 22 isnt troucing the competition as it would seem looking at the total number of games sold .But look at NA and without the Nintendo and Sony games for DS and PSP respectively the PSP would have more games sold.The same for Europe ,where no one third party DS game has ever pointed its nose in the Top 20 .Its quite easy to see ,and that explains why the PSP is receiving game after game .The DS success is putting companies in the bandwagon trying to cash in with DS version in multiplattform games and some are succeding as THQ but for the others i think time will prove them this is a cow they wont milk .For example Ubi and Ea ,both have put a lot of effort after the DS and their numbers are horrible in that plattform ....now EA says it wants to push the DS developement but when you see EA DS games selling big numbers (as some are in the PSP ) you tell me . We better wait two weeks to see the first 10 days of VF5 at stores ,we are arguing over pure speculation and without having in count some data (as the faulty Virtua Stick ) .

If DS were outperforming PSP based solely on Nintendo games, it would just be scary, because it would mean that Nintendo was outperforming every other developer in the world combined. But that is obviously not the case.
Between 12/17/2007 and 2/4/2007(I didn't go back further out of sheer laziness) the Japanese market saw 17,455,000 games sold, 8,442,500 were published by Nintendo that's 47%. I happen to agree with your point, I just figured I'd also state that we really shouldn't compare the third party companies to Nintendo, Nintendo does own almost half of Japan's market, and its that fact that also allows third parties to enjoy the enormous user base the DS has.

fooflexible said: I just want to take a moment to put a few things in place. Nintendo's huge sales have warped everyone into believing that third parties fail on the DS. Nintendo is the only publisher in the world for any system that can produce 4+ million sellers on a consistent basis. So don't go by the top 10 list. And for anyone who thinks thats a bad thing just remember they're showing the third parties what to aspire too(Not to mention stretching the user base). The best selling psp game in japan is monster hunters with 934,000. No third party can break a million on the psp. and here is the kicker after Monster hunter the second best selling third party game in japan is Metal Gear Solid: Portalable Ops. with 345,000. That's awful when comparted to the low budget and poorly reviewed Tamagatchi games that scored a million in sales on the DS, how about Sega's Love and Berry with 880,000, how about a stinking quiz game, Kanji Quiz with 420,000. They look at the PSP and see they need to make a big budget highly marketed game to even break a 100,000. and Even the big guys would deem a million seller as impossible. On the DS they see the sky as being the limit, and low budget crap could break a 100,000 in sales. In fact the biggest reason a third party might not sell on a Nintendo system is because they do go the low budget route. Red Steel did do well in America, and yet look at the quality of it compared to Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six for the 360, those are highly accliamed, existing franshises. Red Steel is new and poorly reviewed, also the Splinter Cell they do get is a mediocre port, and the horrible Far Cry port. Can we actually pretend that people are biased against non-Nintendo published games when the third parties are making crap? If Red Steel had a huge budget and played brilliantly and everyone raved, and still didn't sell well then I'd see the problem, but that simply is not the case. Plus Nintendo doesn't produce many genre games, like Sports, realisitic racers, FPS, traditional rpgs, realistic fighters, sand-box type games, so when these types of games are produced for Nintendo systems they're not even competing directly with Nintendo produced games.
Well ,this has some sense ,at least it would explain why there are so many good games on the PSP and why outside Nintendo(and even Nintendo I dont think BT and porting Yoshis Island from the Snes costs millions ) there is so much low budget crap on the DS . But ,in games with a lot effort put into ,the costs arent as differente ....after the words of some developers a DS game would cost some 350k dollars and a PSP one some 500k ....taking in count the retail price for the PSP games is higher and you will see there is pretty much the same opportunity to have profit in good budget games for both .

stof said: Necro Nesia - You make a crappy game and it's going to bomb on any console Swing Golf Panya - your right, it's not doing too well. Monkey Ball - 200,000 in NA so far, don't have the numbers for Europe Red Steel - 257,000 in NA so far and the second highest selling game, believe the numbers are good in Europe Raving Rabbigs - over 200,000 in NA and the second highest selling game. Excite Truck - 147,000 in NA so far, and it's published by Nintendo, so it's not selling huge sort of goes against your Nintendo only argument Korinpa - Your right, it's not doing too well. Elebits - Not so hot in Japan, but I'm expecting some good January NA numbers That Gundam game that tanked Wing Island I was merely pointing out that traditionally, launch titles (the good ones) see long periods of sustained sales. Thats just something that happens. As for your third party arguments, Look at the NA top 10. 2 Nintendo titles. EA and Ubisoft have said they're both quite happy with Wii sales and have aggresively pushed forward on development, as have numerous other companies. The Wii looks like the console to finally bring Nintendo back into the third party fray.
Yeah, but this is the Japan forum and we are talking about Japan here. I know titles like Red Steel have done better in NA, for example. The thing is, none of the titles above have sold over 50,000, and probably never will. There are no sustained sales for them. The only games selling are Wii Sports, Hajimete no Wii, Zelda, Wario, and maybe Pokemon. Pretty much everything else has done very poorly. Wii may be cheaper to develop for (can anyone prove this, or is it just hype?), but it is already the lottery that the DS has become, and that lottery nearly always goes in Nintendo's favour. As for DS Vs PSP, I loved my DS for two years since launch, but at the end of last year I was getting majorly sick of it and the constant flow of kiddy dross games, so I grabbed a PSP. Haven't touched my DS since apart from using some JPN dictionary software.

PSN - hanafuda

I agree on the DS. I bought it with high hopes. They marketed it for adults blah blah blah. Just like the Wii... and well... I havent enjoyed many games on it besides Harvest Moon, and a few others... I've been very dissapointed in it. I want a PSP. I think Nintendo will do the same thing with the Wii. That's why I bash it. Sony's consoles dont take off for usually 6 to 12 months after launch. the PSN store in Japan has like... 1 game, and 2 or 3 demos. The PS3 has nothing in japan right now. The Wii has more in Japan than america. Wait till stuff starts coming for consoles to start selling.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!