By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo headed the wrong way? (As a developer)

Now we all know Nintendo has great games BUT with the "not so sure" news about Project HAMMER being canceled going around it makes me think. If Nintendo dumps new adventure IP's to make more casual IP's what does this mean for the gamers. I for one would be pissed! While most, if not all, Nintendo fans will be good with the flagship charaters being done over. Some still new that those few new IP's to come out. Think about it in the Second generation of video games (1974-1984) Mario and Donkey Kong came then in the Third (1984-1987) Excitebike, Earthbound, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Kirby, Metroid, Nintendo Wars (Battallon Wars), and Zelda. Plus that when Super Mario Bros became offical. The Fourth (1987-1996) Star Fox, F-Zero, Pliotwings, Mario Kart. Ok someone else can complete that but I'm saying each system had new ones, why is Nintendo going to more annd more minigames.

P.S I know the ending is a dud but I got tired of typing.

Edit: Will complete the list later.

Around the Network

You forget that nintendo ALWAYS boots up a new franchise on all of its new consoles. Even if Project H.A.M.M.E.R does end up canceled, then they will no doubt create a new one to take its place.

1. Games get cancelled all the time
  2. If a game gets cancelled, it means it wasn't going to make money, ie, it's not fun.
  3. Something like 90% of new IP's fail.  It makes sense that Nintendo wants to stick with known characters because those characters sell games.
  4. The Project HAMMER thing is still a freaking rumor.
  5. Stop with the minigames argument, it's getting old.  Yes, the Wii does have a decent amount of minigames, but that's not the only thing it has.  There are in fact other types of games currently out on it and other type of games on the way.  Saying that the Wii is only meant for minigames is like saying the 360 is only meant for FPS's.  Yes, the 360 has its fair of FPS games, but it offers a lot more than just FPS games (in fact, I only have 2--Shadowrun and Gears of War-- in my library of 360 games).

I don't think Nintendo is necessarily going in the wrong direction. They actually need to publish more casual games to keep the Wii Sports audience fed -- that's the significant new demographic they're winning over, but if they don't keep it satisfied those Wiis will go into the closet at some point.

When it wasn't clear how the Wii was going to do, I think it was more important for Nintendo to develop solid traditional games for the Wii. At this point, it looks like the third parties are eager to deliver, but many are ONLY developing traditional games. With a few notable exceptions, they haven't figured out how to do what Nintendo's doing in the casual pick-up-and-play segment, although there are signs of life there.

The Wii needs a well-rounded library -- Nintendo as the first party publisher needs to fill in the gaps where it can see them. Right now I'd say the next gamble on a potential Nintendogs or Brain Age is more important than the next sandbox-style action game, which was what Project H.A.M.M.E.R. was looking like from what little has been shown.

Yeah I remember before the Gamecube launched all of Retro's games outside of Metroid Prime got canned. I was really looking forward to Raven Blade too.

Around the Network

I say the minigames thing because I own a Wii and I have almost every game out for it, I'm sick of minigames and yes that is a personal opinion (I know that everybody don't think like me) but I want something else to play that's why the minigame thing gets on my nerves. I either have or have played every single game on the Wii (traded in some of them) and I'm saying from personal experience that I think they shouldn't trash (I know it's just a rumor) an adventure IP for another minigame IP. But when it's all said and done your right it's about making money and I'm sure they will get rid of a game if they think it won't sell. And I know that games get cancelled all the time even if the entire game is done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_2

ddobson said:
I don't think Nintendo is necessarily going in the wrong direction. They actually need to publish more casual games to keep the Wii Sports audience fed -- that's the significant new demographic they're winning over, but if they don't keep it satisfied those Wiis will go into the closet at some point.

When it wasn't clear how the Wii was going to do, I think it was more important for Nintendo to develop solid traditional games for the Wii. At this point, it looks like the third parties are eager to deliver, but many are ONLY developing traditional games. With a few notable exceptions, they haven't figured out how to do what Nintendo's doing in the casual pick-up-and-play segment, although there are signs of life there.

The Wii needs a well-rounded library -- Nintendo as the first party publisher needs to fill in the gaps where it can see them. Right now I'd say the next gamble on a potential Nintendogs or Brain Age is more important than the next sandbox-style action game, which was what Project H.A.M.M.E.R. was looking like from what little has been shown.

I understand what your saying but at the same time most casual gamers are not that concerned about getting the next new game that comes out. I know someone who has had the Wii since launch (they got lucky). They had never played games before and was sold on the control sheme the only other game that they have bought is Wii Play for the controller, other than that they are completely content on just playing those two games. While someone who loves game like Zelda or just adventure games period, would be eager to get something new.

Well, it was new, but it looked boring. Smash robots. Smash robtos. As long as they dont trash Disaster, I am still fine with them.

E3 is coming, that´s all I gonna say. Do you really think they´ll show us their new IP´s now?

No company would do that now. Microsoft and Sony are also holding there new games back.

But it is true, some more new characters would be great.

Nintendo has cancelled lots of games in their lifetime. It happens. But seriously cancelling one game to make more casual games can't be seen as a bad thing. Nintendo still has 70% of it's development focused on the core gamer. The core gamer only represents 20% of the market. Be happy. 30% though for 80% of the market. Who's really getting gipped here.

Nintendo is really the only company out there supporting the casual gamer "heavily" and it's paying off for them as a company. Most companies use 90-100% for the core gamer. Now that Nintendo has made supporting casual gamers a big business devs such as EA and Ubisoft are catching on.

I have no idea if P.H. will be canned but no that it happens. It's nothing new.