By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo headed the wrong way? (As a developer)

What gets me is they cancel a game in the Beta stage. As I said in the Hammer Topic Nintendo cancels games becuase of a system shift, lose of a 2nd party or early alpha(like most develeopers). If this game was cancelled in the late Beta phase then there is a problem with their management. Be a mindless beat 'em up, but it's still a game that was cancelled for no reason.

As of now, Nintendo has been doing OK. They have made a good deal of games for both spectrums. We'll have to wait till E3 to really judge.

Around the Network
Smashchu said:
What gets me is they cancel a game in the Beta stage. As I said in the Hammer Topic Nintendo cancels games becuase of a system shift, lose of a 2nd party or early alpha(like most develeopers). If this game was cancelled in the late Beta phase then there is a problem with their management. Be a mindless beat 'em up, but it's still a game that was cancelled for no reason.

As of now, Nintendo has been doing OK. They have made a good deal of games for both spectrums. We'll have to wait till E3 to really judge.

I've said it at least twice now, maybe saying it another time will make it sink in: a game can be canceled at any time if the external producer doesn't think it will make money.

If a game is in its beta stage and it still isn't fun, it would cost an incredible amount of money to redisign the basic gameplay and levels to make it fun.  If that amount of money is more than the game is expected to make, the game gets cancelled.  If this rumor is true, then this game simply wasn't fun and it's a good thing it's not getting released.

twesterm said:
Smashchu said:

I've said it at least twice now, maybe saying it another time will make it sink in: a game can be canceled at any time if the external producer doesn't think it will make money.

If a game is in its beta stage and it still isn't fun, it would cost an incredible amount of money to redisign the basic gameplay and levels to make it fun.  If that amount of money is more than the game is expected to make, the game gets cancelled.  If this rumor is true, then this game simply wasn't fun and it's a good thing it's not getting released.

While, yes, a game can be cancelled any time, RARELY is it cancelled in the Beta stage(like I said). I've gone over this. If it IS cancelled in the Beta stage(Nintendo stand point) it was becuase of console shift, or lose of a 2nd party. The last game that was cancelled in it's Beta was Stage Debut, which is still unkown why. Chances are, if it was, it would recive major delays.

The best to see what I'm talking about is to check out http://nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/index.html and see all the cancelled games(there in their system). See how many you actually know. Chances are you've never heard of Cabbage, Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble(for the Cube) or Fighting Polygon. It's hard to find a game that was cancelled in it's Beta from Nintendo, that wasn't a part of the other two things mentioned. While, yes, a gma ecan be cancelled at any time, it's rare. Simply due to lost of funds you've spent on the game, and now can't get back.

It's not as rare as you think for a game to be canceled late in development and who says the Hammer was even in beta? Nowhere have I seen a statement that the game is in beta. Just because there's playable level does not mean the game is even anywhere near beta. When a game enters beta, that means all the gameplay is complete, the art is near complete (only minor fixes), and only bugs are being fixed at that point. I seriosuly doubt Project Hammer was in beta.

The video and screenshots you've seen of the game are more than likely from their vertical slice. A vertical slice is simply the first level of the game that is made and is made to near completion as possible. That level is then used as a benchmark for all the other levels so they know what the gameplay, art, and overall design of the game will be.

Don't you understand people casual party games, mini games they are all gateway games to other markets, that's how it started on the DS. and then that turned into a market of products I can't even call games, the DS in Japan is half not even a game system any more look at the following titles folks:

• Practice by Observing: DS Observation Training
  • Brain Training
  • More Brain Training
  • English Training for Adults
  • More English Training for Adults
  • Kanji Performance Test
  • Detailed Japanese History B Total Training
  • Detailed World History B Total Training
  • Stock Trader Shun
  • Common Sense Training
  • Kanji Quiz
  • World Puzzle Mojipittan DS
  • DS Cuisine Navigator
  • TOEIC Test Training DS
  • 1000 Healthy DS Recipes
  • IQ Supplement DS
  • Big Brain Academy
  • Writing and Speaking Beautiful Japanese DS
  • Right Brain Expert
  • Strongest Tokyo University Shogi DS
  • Electric Brain Repetition
  • Kanji input Easy Dictionary
This is what I'm afraid for the Wii, it's what all gamers I think are afraid of. the market is slowly being taken over by education computer programs. They start off like quicky mini games like Cooking Mama and end up with 1,000 Healthy DS recipes. That's not a game. I heard yesterday Konami is making a skin Care program for the DS, another company is working on City tour programs, do you see? Soon this will happen on the Wii. It's not entirely bad, I'd even get some of these things. It actually proves that the Wii and DS or more of a multi-media device then the 360/ps3 are. For all the different stuff people are doing with it. But as a hardcore gamer it would be sad to see fewer games on the sales charts and more software with the word Brain in the title.

Around the Network
fooflexible said:
Don't you understand people casual party games, mini games they are all gateway games to other markets, that's how it started on the DS. and then that turned into a market of products I can't even call games, the DS in Japan is half not even a game system any more look at the following titles folks:
  • Brain Training
  • More Brain Training
  • Kanji Performance Test
  • Stock Trader Shun
  • Common Sense Training
  • Kanji Quiz
  • DS Cuisine Navigator
  • TOEIC Test Training DS
  • IQ Supplement DS
  • Big Brain Academy
  • Right Brain Expert
This is what I'm afraid for the Wii, it's what all gamers I think are afraid of. the market is slowly being taken over by education computer programs. They start off like quicky mini games like Cooking Mama and end up with 1,000 Healthy DS recipes. That's not a game. I heard yesterday Konami is making a skin Care program for the DS, another company is working on City tour programs, do you see? Soon this will happen on the Wii. It's not entirely bad, I'd even get some of these things. It actually proves that the Wii and DS or more of a multi-media device then the 360/ps3 are. For all the different stuff people are doing with it. But as a hardcore gamer it would be sad to see fewer games on the sales charts and more software with the word Brain in the title.

Well blame the BUYERS. If they didn't buy the games, they wouldn't be made. Also you are acting as though the DS has NO hardcore games. That is simply not true. They just take more time and money to make. And that is the fault of hardcore gamers, for wanting games to be bigger and better, thus forcing hardcore games to be more expensive every generation.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

fooflexible said:
  • Brain Training
  • More Brain Training
  • Kanji Performance Test
  • Stock Trader Shun
  • Common Sense Training
  • Kanji Quiz
  • DS Cuisine Navigator
  • TOEIC Test Training DS
  • IQ Supplement DS
  • Big Brain Academy
  • Right Brain Expert

I knoe it's fun to read reports from Cliffy B's brother and the likes and pretend to know what's going on, but just stop.  Remember, a portable is made for more casual games like the list above and people are going to buy what they want.  A few years ago, FPS type of games were it and right now more casual games that you can play for 15-20 minutes a day are becoming more popular.  

As for these games coming to the Wii, they might and sure the Japanese will gobble them up but it's not likely they are coming to America anytime soon, and even if they do, there won't be nearly as many and I doubt they will nearly as well (in Japan and America).  The Wii may be more aimed at the casual gamer (whatever that may be) but they are aimed at bringing all sorts of games to it. 

So yeah, I wouldn't be so quick to start yelling doomsday for gamers.  Just be happy with the game you have and have fun with those.  Portable gaming consoles of course will have skin care games and the likes because they are great for portables but will find it harder to make their way to a console like the Wii (though I imagine it will be done).

The only reason you think it's sad is because you think you're a better gamer than people that like things like Brain Age and because those aren't the type of games you like.  Truth is, there are many people that like those type of games (and they are games) and they are going to sell. 

fooflexible said:
  • Brain Training
  • More Brain Training
  • Kanji Performance Test
  • Stock Trader Shun
  • Common Sense Training
  • Kanji Quiz
  • DS Cuisine Navigator
  • TOEIC Test Training DS
  • IQ Supplement DS
  • Big Brain Academy
  • Right Brain Expert

Your statement is wrong. Please don't  include me when you say that is what all gamers are afraid of, since I am not afraid of this. You do not represent ALL gamers. Wii and DS are not more multi-media devices than the 360 and PS3. They do not play music, movies, and cannot store massive amounts of data. The original GameBoy had educational programs. The PS2 has yoga instructional software and bible study games. So now you're afraid? I am afraid that the PS3 is going to have more bible games. They must be stopped!!! I am so afraid.

The DS is not going to replace PDAs or Cells phones or PDA Cell Phones or notepads.  Just because more of these types of software are being released doesn't mean developers are going to stop making games. Educational software is NOT taking over. I really don't see Capcom making Chun Li's favorite recipes on the the DS. I do want to see Master Chief's Office on Xbox360... I need to do some work on Excel.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

twesterm said:
Smashchu said:

If a game is in its beta stage and it still isn't fun, it would cost an incredible amount of money to redisign the basic gameplay and levels to make it fun. If that amount of money is more than the game is expected to make, the game gets cancelled. If this rumor is true, then this game simply wasn't fun and it's a good thing it's not getting released.

QFT. Wait for E3 people. It's not that far off. Just calm down.

mancandy said:
fooflexible said:
  • Brain Training
  • More Brain Training
  • Kanji Performance Test
  • Stock Trader Shun
  • Common Sense Training
  • Kanji Quiz
  • DS Cuisine Navigator
  • TOEIC Test Training DS
  • IQ Supplement DS
  • Big Brain Academy
  • Right Brain Expert

Your statement is wrong. Please don't include me when you say that is what all gamers are afraid of, since I am not afraid of this. You do not represent ALL gamers. Wii and DS are not more multi-media devices than the 360 and PS3. They do not play music, movies, and cannot store massive amounts of data. The original GameBoy had educational programs. The PS2 has yoga instructional software and bible study games. So now you're afraid? I am afraid that the PS3 is going to have more bible games. They must be stopped!!! I am so afraid.

The DS is not going to replace PDAs or Cells phones or PDA Cell Phones or notepads. Just because more of these types of software are being released doesn't mean developers are going to stop making games. Educational software is NOT taking over. I really don't see Capcom making Chun Li's favorite recipes on the the DS. I do want to see Master Chief's Office on Xbox360... I need to do some work on Excel.

Wow you and the other people are all crazy. You like read every word as if I touted them from the top of a mountain like a king. Like I really think my word stands for all people. Get real. To be honest on the subject I was more or less thinking it was funny to see these games listed together as some doom impending wave on the gaming industry, I thought it would get a few chuckles. the fact of the matter is I own Nintendogs, Brain Age, Big Brain Acadamy, and I was thinking about buying Kinetic for the ps2 for exercise, I even hope the skin care game comes out in America I was telling my wife about it I think a stock sim would be cool to, I play them online. I want my DS to do more then play games. My one valid point though is that as this software does catch on more developers will be working on these projects and not tradional games, or games period. Even if they don't come out in America that developer in Japan will be working on that instead of a game that could be ported. Like on Tv the more successful game shows are the more of them as oppossed to dramas we'll get. And I still think your wrong, the DS is more multimedia. Yeah you can play games and watch movies on the ps3 and psp but there is no skin care software, english training program or an application that allow you to pet and talk to virtual animals. heck I even used that m-9 guitar program from Japan and plugged my DS into my computer sound card and recorded songs with my DS. Turning my Ds into a virtual Guitar. Perhaps not your kind of multimedia, but in my eyes, people are doing far more with the DS then anything else out there. And yes I'm also watching movies and music with it, you just need to buy the right peripheral.  I suggested it more or less also as a novel concept anyway, I don't think I told anybody they would be used to replace cell phones pdas, notepads. But I don't see why no one makes a pda program I'd actually like that. and with the touch screen it has features no other game system has allow it to do novel things in that stride. That's all I'm saying.