By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo headed the wrong way? (As a developer)

fooflexible said:
Don't you understand people casual party games, mini games they are all gateway games to other markets, that's how it started on the DS. and then that turned into a market of products I can't even call games, the DS in Japan is half not even a game system any more look at the following titles folks:
  • Practice by Observing: DS Observation Training
  • Brain Training
  • More Brain Training
  • English Training for Adults
  • More English Training for Adults
  • Kanji Performance Test
  • Detailed Japanese History B Total Training
  • Detailed World History B Total Training
  • Stock Trader Shun
  • Common Sense Training
  • Kanji Quiz
  • World Puzzle Mojipittan DS
  • DS Cuisine Navigator
  • TOEIC Test Training DS
  • 1000 Healthy DS Recipes
  • IQ Supplement DS
  • Big Brain Academy
  • Writing and Speaking Beautiful Japanese DS
  • Right Brain Expert
  • Strongest Tokyo University Shogi DS
  • Electric Brain Repetition
  • Kanji input Easy Dictionary
This is what I'm afraid for the Wii, it's what all gamers I think are afraid of. the market is slowly being taken over by education computer programs. They start off like quicky mini games like Cooking Mama and end up with 1,000 Healthy DS recipes. That's not a game. I heard yesterday Konami is making a skin Care program for the DS, another company is working on City tour programs, do you see? Soon this will happen on the Wii. It's not entirely bad, I'd even get some of these things. It actually proves that the Wii and DS or more of a multi-media device then the 360/ps3 are. For all the different stuff people are doing with it. But as a hardcore gamer it would be sad to see fewer games on the sales charts and more software with the word Brain in the title.

From www.dictionary.com

1) Game: An Amusement or pastime.

2) Video: the elements of television, as in a program or script, pertaining to the transmission or reception of the image (distinguished from audio). 

So, let's get started. Are these titles listed above used for amusement or as pastimes? Yes. Are they displayed on a video screen? Yes. Therefor, they are video games.

I will throttle the next person that says these aren't video games. Seriously. They aren't video games you personally like. That's fine. I probably think many of the games you like are garbage, too. But they are all video games -- clearly they are, by definition. So stop.

Actually, you can insist these games don't exist if you want, but that only makes you look stupider. What are your favorite games? Metal Gear? Gears of War? Brain Training has sold millions more copies than any version of Gears of War, as well as Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and 3. Apparently, the video games you enjoy are so bad that they're outsold by games that don't even exist.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

Well. I'm not sure how much "1000 Healthy Recipes" is used as amusement. ;>

That said I don't really have a problem with such things existing, clearly people want them and they wouldn't be playing regular games anyway so it has no real impact on the gamer market.

Fooflexible said:

"Wow you and the other people are all crazy. You like read every word as if I touted them from the top of a mountain like a king. Like I really think my word stands for all people. Get real."

Fooflexible also said, just one post before:  

"This is what I'm afraid for the Wii, it's what all gamers I think are afraid of. the market is slowly being taken over by education computer programs."

You directly and explicitly stated they you believe you speak for "all gamers". If you want to mock people, make sure they aren't justified first.

There is nothing I want more than for more Big Brains and Brain Ages and Cooking Mamas to be released, and I want less Gears of War, God of War, and Killzone like titles. You do not speak for me.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

DKII said:
Well. I'm not sure how much "1000 Healthy Recipes" is used as amusement. ;>

That said I don't really have a problem with such things existing, clearly people want them and they wouldn't be playing regular games anyway so it has no real impact on the gamer market.

Haha. I know you're just joking, but it shows just how spectacular a job Nintendo has done; the games on their system are so far away from tradition that most core gamers don't even know how something can be fun. "How can anyone enjoy that!" They cry. "I mean really! No one really enjoys that, right?" You're welcome to keep crying that this game is completely uninteresting while it blows away the sales of your favorite games.

As I get older and more mature, I'm personally beginning to wonder how much fun it can be to shoot and slash and kill hundreds if not thousands of people in a single game. All in the name of justice, apparently. It's unrealistic, absurdly macho, and I'm finding myself enjoying it less and less.

The issue is that the DS is turning into more of a multi-purpose system that has alot of software more akin to the PC, but still is listed as game sales for these non-games.

IMO, it's not bad as long as Nintendo is using part of the money to fund more standard gaming fare.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
The issue is that the DS is turning into more of a multi-purpose system that has alot of software more akin to the PC, but still is listed as game sales for these non-games.

IMO, it's not bad as long as Nintendo is using part of the money to fund more standard gaming fare.

Ugh, Mrstickball, please. What game on the DS isn't a game?

They are all games. Even Brain Age. One more time, the definition of a game:

1) "An amusement or pastime."

Is Brain Age amusing? It's certainly intended to be, I think it's very amusing, and I'd assume lots of other people find it so, as it's sold almost 8 million copies. Is it used as a pastime? Again, yes. Therefore, it's a game.

fooflexible said:
mancandy said:
fooflexible said:
Don't you understand people casual party games, mini games they are all gateway games to other markets, that's how it started on the DS. and then that turned into a market of products I can't even call games, the DS in Japan is half not even a game system any more look at the following titles folks:
  • Practice by Observing: DS Observation Training
  • Brain Training
  • More Brain Training
  • English Training for Adults
  • More English Training for Adults
  • Kanji Performance Test
  • Detailed Japanese History B Total Training
  • Detailed World History B Total Training
  • Stock Trader Shun
  • Common Sense Training
  • Kanji Quiz
  • World Puzzle Mojipittan DS
  • DS Cuisine Navigator
  • TOEIC Test Training DS
  • 1000 Healthy DS Recipes
  • IQ Supplement DS
  • Big Brain Academy
  • Writing and Speaking Beautiful Japanese DS
  • Right Brain Expert
  • Strongest Tokyo University Shogi DS
  • Electric Brain Repetition
  • Kanji input Easy Dictionary
This is what I'm afraid for the Wii, it's what all gamers I think are afraid of. the market is slowly being taken over by education computer programs. They start off like quicky mini games like Cooking Mama and end up with 1,000 Healthy DS recipes. That's not a game. I heard yesterday Konami is making a skin Care program for the DS, another company is working on City tour programs, do you see? Soon this will happen on the Wii. It's not entirely bad, I'd even get some of these things. It actually proves that the Wii and DS or more of a multi-media device then the 360/ps3 are. For all the different stuff people are doing with it. But as a hardcore gamer it would be sad to see fewer games on the sales charts and more software with the word Brain in the title.

Your statement is wrong. Please don't include me when you say that is what all gamers are afraid of, since I am not afraid of this. You do not represent ALL gamers. Wii and DS are not more multi-media devices than the 360 and PS3. They do not play music, movies, and cannot store massive amounts of data. The original GameBoy had educational programs. The PS2 has yoga instructional software and bible study games. So now you're afraid? I am afraid that the PS3 is going to have more bible games. They must be stopped!!! I am so afraid.

The DS is not going to replace PDAs or Cells phones or PDA Cell Phones or notepads. Just because more of these types of software are being released doesn't mean developers are going to stop making games. Educational software is NOT taking over. I really don't see Capcom making Chun Li's favorite recipes on the the DS. I do want to see Master Chief's Office on Xbox360... I need to do some work on Excel.

Wow you and the other people are all crazy. You like read every word as if I touted them from the top of a mountain like a king. Like I really think my word stands for all people. Get real. To be honest on the subject I was more or less thinking it was funny to see these games listed together as some doom impending wave on the gaming industry, I thought it would get a few chuckles. the fact of the matter is I own Nintendogs, Brain Age, Big Brain Acadamy, and I was thinking about buying Kinetic for the ps2 for exercise, I even hope the skin care game comes out in America I was telling my wife about it I think a stock sim would be cool to, I play them online. I want my DS to do more then play games. My one valid point though is that as this software does catch on more developers will be working on these projects and not tradional games, or games period. Even if they don't come out in America that developer in Japan will be working on that instead of a game that could be ported. Like on Tv the more successful game shows are the more of them as oppossed to dramas we'll get. And I still think your wrong, the DS is more multimedia. Yeah you can play games and watch movies on the ps3 and psp but there is no skin care software, english training program or an application that allow you to pet and talk to virtual animals. heck I even used that m-9 guitar program from Japan and plugged my DS into my computer sound card and recorded songs with my DS. Turning my Ds into a virtual Guitar. Perhaps not your kind of multimedia, but in my eyes, people are doing far more with the DS then anything else out there. And yes I'm also watching movies and music with it, you just need to buy the right peripheral.  I suggested it more or less also as a novel concept anyway, I don't think I told anybody they would be used to replace cell phones pdas, notepads. But I don't see why no one makes a pda program I'd actually like that. and with the touch screen it has features no other game system has allow it to do novel things in that stride. That's all I'm saying.

Whoa, your font size changed, making me all confused.

Crazy? Of course I am crazy. It's Friday, and I am at work and I want to get a beer. I figured you were messing around since you've never see you post something lame like that.

However, just to keep this going and I am bored, I must disagree with you. I think the DS is not MORE multi-media. It does not have an extra memory slot like the PSP. It does not play movies or music out of the box. It plays software, like the PSP. That software listed above can be played on the PSP, sans touch screen, but still possible.

The DS can do PDA like software. I remember the original Gameboy having scheduling software. It is very versatile, but I still would not place it above the PSP as a mutli-media device. It is multi-media, but you must purchase additional hardware and software.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

twesterm said:
  1. Games get cancelled all the time
  2. If a game gets cancelled, it means it wasn't going to make money, ie, it's not fun.
  3. Something like 90% of new IP's fail. It makes sense that Nintendo wants to stick with known characters because those characters sell games.
  4. The Project HAMMER thing is still a freaking rumor.
  5. Stop with the minigames argument, it's getting old. Yes, the Wii does have a decent amount of minigames, but that's not the only thing it has. There are in fact other types of games currently out on it and other type of games on the way. Saying that the Wii is only meant for minigames is like saying the 360 is only meant for FPS's. Yes, the 360 has its fair of FPS games, but it offers a lot more than just FPS games (in fact, I only have 2--Shadowrun and Gears of War-- in my library of 360 games).

Not making money means it's not fun??????????????????? It's because greedy companies rather make money off of cheaper games to make if they know those will sell. Rating a game's fun in sales is fuckin ridiculous.

Wii is dominated by minigames, it doesn't have a decent amount it is dominated by them right now and a lot more are coming. This is a legitimate concern, it's not getting old if it's the truth. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

fooflexible said:
It's not entirely bad, I'd even get some of these things. It actually proves that the Wii and DS or more of a multi-media device then the 360/ps3 are.

These is complete BS, come back to me when the Wii is still doing educational programs and both the other consoles have music and movie download services. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
twesterm said:
  1. Games get cancelled all the time
  2. If a game gets cancelled, it means it wasn't going to make money, ie, it's not fun.
  3. Something like 90% of new IP's fail. It makes sense that Nintendo wants to stick with known characters because those characters sell games.
  4. The Project HAMMER thing is still a freaking rumor.
  5. Stop with the minigames argument, it's getting old. Yes, the Wii does have a decent amount of minigames, but that's not the only thing it has. There are in fact other types of games currently out on it and other type of games on the way. Saying that the Wii is only meant for minigames is like saying the 360 is only meant for FPS's. Yes, the 360 has its fair of FPS games, but it offers a lot more than just FPS games (in fact, I only have 2--Shadowrun and Gears of War-- in my library of 360 games).

Not making money means it's not fun??????????????????? It's because greedy companies rather make money off of cheaper games to make if they know those will sell. Rating a game's fun in sales is fuckin ridiculous.

Wii is dominated by minigames, it doesn't have a decent amount it is dominated by them right now and a lot more are coming. This is a legitimate concern, it's not getting old if it's the truth.

Wii: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, The (2006)
Nintendo

2. Wii: Super Paper Mario (2007)
Nintendo

3. Wii: WarioWare: Smooth Moves (2007)
Nintendo

4. Wii: Madden NFL 07 (2006)
Electronic Arts

5. Wii: Mercury Meltdown Revolution (2007)
Ignition Entertainment

6. Wii: Trauma Center: Second Opinion (2006)
Atlus USA

7. Wii: Rayman Raving Rabbids (2006)
Ubisoft

8. Wii: Godfather: Blackhand Edition, The (2007)
Electronic Arts

9. Wii: Wii Sports (2006)
Nintendo

10. Wii: Elebits (2006)

11. Wii: Mario Strikers Charged Football (2007)
Nintendo

12. Wii: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz (2006)
Sega

13. Wii: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (2006)
Activision

14. Wii: Excite Truck (2006)
Nintendo

15. Wii: Metal Slug Anthology (2006)
SNK Playmore

16. Wii: SSX Blur (2007)
Electronic Arts

17. Wii: Chicken Little: Ace in Action (2006)
Buena Vista Games

18. Wii: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 (2006)
Atari

19. Wii: Super Swing Golf (2006)
Tecmo

20. Wii: Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (2007)
Midway

21. Wii: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 (2007) 71
Electronic Arts

22. Wii: Prince of Persia: Rival Swords (2007) 71
Ubisoft

23. Wii: Call of Duty 3 (2006) 69
Activision

24. Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings (2007)
Sega

25. Wii: Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam (2006)
Activision

26. Wii: Kororinpa: Marble Mania (2007)
Hudson Soft / Konami

27. Wii: Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (2007)
Nintendo

28. Wii: Need for Speed Carbon (2006)
Electronic Arts

29. Wii: Ice Age 2: The Meltdown (2006)
Vivendi Games / Sierra Entertainment

30. Wii: Barnyard (2006)
THQ

31. Wii: Cars (2006)
THQ

32. Wii: Mario Party 8 (2007)
Nintendo

33. Wii: Red Steel (2006)
Ubisoft

34. Wii: Cooking Mama: Cook Off (2007)
Majesco Sales Inc.

35. Wii: Heatseeker (2007)
Codemasters

36. Wii: Meet the Robinsons (2007)
Buena Vista Games

37. Wii: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent (2006)
Ubisoft

38. Wii: Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, The (2006)
Midway Games

39. Wii: TMNT (2007)
Ubisoft

40. Wii: Shrek the Third (2007)
Activision

41. Wii: SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab (2006)
THQ

42. Wii: Wii Play (2007)
Nintendo

43. Wii: Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII (2007)
Ubisoft

44. Wii: Medal of Honor Vanguard (2007)
Electronic Arts

45. Wii: Avatar: The Last Airbender (2006)
THQ

46. Wii: Bust-A-Move Bash! (2007)
Majesco Sales Inc.

47. Wii: Spider-Man 3 (2007)
Activision

48. Wii: Bionicle Heroes (2007)
Eidos Interactive

49. Wii: Monster 4X4 World Circuit (2006)
Ubisoft

50. Wii: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)
Disney Interactive Studios

51. Wii: Open Season (2006)
Ubisoft

52. Wii: Wing Island (2007)
Konami

53. Wii: Happy Feet (2006)
Warner Bros. Interactive / Midway Games

54. Wii: World Series of Poker: Tournament of Champions (2006)
Activision

55. Wii: Ant Bully, The (2006)
Midway

56. Wii: Rampage: Total Destruction (2006)
Midway

57. Wii: GT Pro Series (2006)
Ubisoft

58. Wii: Rapala Tournament Fishing! (2006)
Activision

59. Wii: Far Cry Vengeance (2006)
Ubisoft

60. Wii: Tamagotchi Party On! (2007)
Namco Bandai Games

61. Wii: Escape from Bug Island (2007)
Eidos Interactive / Nintendo

62. Wii: Legend of the Dragon (2007)
The Game Factory

I count 8 mini-game titles in this list (I even included Wii Sports and Cooking Mama, which certainly aren't traditional mini-game titles), which is approximately 12 percent of the games released on the system. Perhaps you and I have different definitions of domination?