By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 sales post MGS4

Leetgeek said:
kowenicki said:
Leetgeek said:

@ Happy

Yeah? Cuz I thought PS3 has outsold the 360 by 1.2 mill this year.

amazing how PS3 expectations have collapsed since the launch...

Which expectations? That it will outsell the 360? That expectation hasn't collapsed at all.
Ohhhhh your talking about the Wii? Lol. Whuts that got to do with the 360 getting pwned? 360 fans lol always saying somthing along the lines of: "so what if PS3 outsells the 360 it'll never outsell the Wii".

ROFL do you really want to compare the sales of a $250 machine to a $500 machine? Fine, that doesn't change the 360s situation at all. The Wii is going to sell at least as well as PS2. But just because it sells better doesn't mean it is better. Wii fit will probobly outsell the legend of zelda TP but which one would YOU rather have. The Toyota Camery will probly sell more units then the Mercedes Benz this year which one would YOU rather have?

Hmm... then I wonder what will happen if the Mercedes corporation went from 70% market share in the car industry to 25% after they released their newest car model.

And also if the Toyota Camry can go as fast as the best Mercedes.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
epinefridis said:
DMeisterJ said:
trestres said:
MGS4 effect on PS3 HW sales was more like a bump rather than a long term effect. Sales will be the same like before MGS4 launched in 1 week.

Conclusion is MGS4 is not a big HW mover, but a big game with an established fanbase that has probably already bought a PS3 for it.

I don't think anyone disputed that MGS4 was a hardware mover.  But the truth is that lots of people (myself included) want the 80 gig system.  The sales for the system in Japan and Europe are disappointing, but I'll wait until the 80 gig comes back in america before I judge american numbers.

o_O

I guess these 8.000 posts are on THIS site. Errrrr, is someone else posting for the last 2 months???

GTAIV WASN't a HW mover. Alright

MGS with a great bundle and a 100 $ gift, wasn't a HW mover.

What game exactly are you expecting to be a HW mover for PS3??? Killzone or Resistance 2?

Oh, don't tell me FFXIII! Is there a gamer out there who desires FF XIII and hasn't bought his PS3 yet? Then he must be REALLY patient...

There is no hardware mover!  There is no magic bullet that will help the PS3 sell...  I don't think any game will push consoles.  They will increase peoples reasoning for buying the system, but there is no magical bullet for PS3 sales.  I think that applies to every console though.  I hope that people are beginning to understand that there is no one game that will push consoles, at least not in this generation.

QFT, the only big hardware mover is Holidays. If last year is any indication of how this year's holiday season is, the PS3 will make a big leap to catching up the 360. Also, its funny how 360 fans havent mentioned the fact that it's been getting outsold every week world wide, Im not saying that its going to be like that for the rest of the year (especially cuz of the price drop) but I just find it funny how quickly ppl forget that.

PS3 = Lamborghini Murcielago
XBox 360 = Hummer H3
Wii = Tesla Roadster

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

@Million: Yea Sony would gladly drop the price to 199 pounds /sarcasm

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

I love how whenever the PS3 beating the 360 in sales is brought up, 360 fans bring expectations into it. As though that somehow invalidates the fact that PS3 is selling better because it was expected to kick the 360's ass. Yes you're right, the Ps3 isn't the Ps2, and I'm so proud of you for figuring that out after more than a year.

If you want to act as though the Ps3 beating the 360 is a small accomplishment then whatever, but fact is that it's still beating it every week. And no amount of changing the subject or comparing the PS3 with the PS2 will change that.

Around the Network

The only way new big release software titles make a sustainable impact is they stop sales of consoles from slowly dropping.

Without the MGS4, GTA4, Halo 3 titles the sales of PS3 and 360 would start to slow. Basically they refuel the tank. They may or may not cause an initial big bump, but that is short lived. Halo 3 caused a couple of month bump, MGS4 a couple of week bump and GTA4 really didnt cause much noticable bump. Without those titles the weeks and months would have continued to decline to very poor levels.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

kowenicki said:
Leetgeek said:

@ Happy

It's called reality but you'd still troll anyway. If ps3 fans still said the ps3 was going to sell the most you'd troll them and call them stupid but now sony fans are saying we're out selling the xbox360 and should come second you troll them for thinking at the begining of the generation the ps3 would finish top like every other normal sane person did since the ps1 and ps2 finished first. Pathetic.

reask said:
1.2 mil a year more than 360 is not going to get them in second or first place this gen.

No it's 1.2mil in less than half a year and at christmas that number increases significantly. The ps3 is going to out sell the xbox360 by about 4mil this year and over take the 360 next year.

epinefridis said:
tombi123 said:
MGS4 so far has sold an extra:

95,000 PS3's in Japan. 75,000 PS3's in NA. 20,000 PS3's in Others.

So far MGS4 has sold 190,000 PS3's. Pretty good if you ask me.

190.000 for the biggest and best PS3 game? I don't want to say much, but I think it will prove an EPIC dissapointment. I think that if it was released during holidays, it would have thrice the current effect. But, hey, Sony made a habit to make stupid moves this gen.

??? Mgs4 isn't the biggest and best ps3 game gran turismo 5 the full game and final fantasy 13 are both bigger selling games.

Menago KF said:
Leetgeek said:
kowenicki said:
Leetgeek said:

@ Happy

Which expectations? That it will outsell the 360? That expectation hasn't collapsed at all.
Ohhhhh your talking about the Wii? Lol. Whuts that got to do with the 360 getting pwned? 360 fans lol always saying somthing along the lines of: "so what if PS3 outsells the 360 it'll never outsell the Wii".

ROFL do you really want to compare the sales of a $250 machine to a $500 machine? Fine, that doesn't change the 360s situation at all. The Wii is going to sell at least as well as PS2. But just because it sells better doesn't mean it is better. Wii fit will probobly outsell the legend of zelda TP but which one would YOU rather have. The Toyota Camery will probly sell more units then the Mercedes Benz this year which one would YOU rather have?

I beg to differ. Somehow sales don't agree with you. If it were as you say, the sales would be significantly lower. And no way you can win this arguement and don't go into the "wii owners aren't real gamers anyway" point, cause you'll only make yourself look bad.

Not to mention that you should wait for the expected price drop of the xbox360. If Sony does not counter this (and most probably will not) then things might turn around in favour of Microsoft. Hell, Even the price arguement is not as valid as you might think. At least Microsoft didn't make a blunder as big as Sony with pricing.

Game reviews beg to differ that wii selling the most means it's better.