By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 sales post MGS4

Honestly, this pattern is to be expected with the HD consoles. People don't wait for their favorite games to come out anymore; they get the console earlier, almost like a kind of investment, and tide themselves over until the game is released. This is great for early console sales, but it means that there's no permanent bump when the biggest-name games are released.

But I still wonder: what prompted this change in behavior? Will it prove to be a good thing or a bad thing in the end? And why does it seem to affect only the HD consoles; why do people still wait for their most anticipated games before buying a Wii?

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Leetgeek said:

@ Happy

Yeah? Cuz I thought PS3 has outsold the 360 by 1.2 mill this year.

amazing how PS3 expectations have collapsed since the launch...

Which expectations? That it will outsell the 360? That expectation hasn't collapsed at all.
Ohhhhh your talking about the Wii? Lol. Whuts that got to do with the 360 getting pwned? 360 fans lol always saying somthing along the lines of: "so what if PS3 outsells the 360 it'll never outsell the Wii".

ROFL do you really want to compare the sales of a $250 machine to a $500 machine? Fine, that doesn't change the 360s situation at all. The Wii is going to sell at least as well as PS2. But just because it sells better doesn't mean it is better. Wii fit will probobly outsell the legend of zelda TP but which one would YOU rather have. The Toyota Camery will probly sell more units then the Mercedes Benz this year which one would YOU rather have?

MGS4 effect on PS3 HW sales was more like a bump rather than a long term effect. Sales will be the same like before MGS4 launched in 1 week.

Conclusion is MGS4 is not a big HW mover, but a big game with an established fanbase that has probably already bought a PS3 for it.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Leetgeek said:
kowenicki said:
Leetgeek said:

@ Happy

Which expectations? That it will outsell the 360? That expectation hasn't collapsed at all.
Ohhhhh your talking about the Wii? Lol. Whuts that got to do with the 360 getting pwned? 360 fans lol always saying somthing along the lines of: "so what if PS3 outsells the 360 it'll never outsell the Wii".

ROFL do you really want to compare the sales of a $250 machine to a $500 machine? Fine, that doesn't change the 360s situation at all. The Wii is going to sell at least as well as PS2. But just because it sells better doesn't mean it is better. Wii fit will probobly outsell the legend of zelda TP but which one would YOU rather have. The Toyota Camery will probly sell more units then the Mercedes Benz this year which one would YOU rather have?

I beg to differ. Somehow sales don't agree with you. If it were as you say, the sales would be significantly lower. And no way you can win this arguement and don't go into the "wii owners aren't real gamers anyway" point, cause you'll only make yourself look bad.

Not to mention that you should wait for the expected price drop of the xbox360. If Sony does not counter this (and most probably will not) then things might turn around in favour of Microsoft. Hell,  Even the price arguement is not as valid as you might think.  At least Microsoft didn't make a blunder as big as Sony with pricing.

Huh. Who would've thought that beggining anew in my real life would coincide with starting anew on vgchartz?

Any day now, the dollar will be worth less than 2 zloty......any day now.....and my life savings will be in total jepordy ;(.

Leetgeek said:
kowenicki said:
Leetgeek said:

@ Happy

So PS3 fanboys have now moved from, "PS3 will outsell Wii" to, "PS3 won't outsell Wii, but it doesn't matter because PS3 is better"?

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

@Garcian: They always come out with a new excuse, at least it makes them feel better.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

@Leetgeek.
Then stick to your Mercedes. Have you heard anything  recently about something called petrol crisis?

"so what if PS3 outsells the 360 it'll never outsell the Wii"
I guess this is YOUR imaginary Xbox fan's quote. I've never heard someone say so, and personally wouldnt say it myself cause it is a silly statement. All the 360 fans are glad with the 360 situation sales wise (cause games wise they are more than happy/excited). No matter if PS3 outsells it or not, still the last gen 5:1 is currently 2:1,5 and still the great 2008 games for 360 are yet to come.

trestres said:
MGS4 effect on PS3 HW sales was more like a bump rather than a long term effect. Sales will be the same like before MGS4 launched in 1 week.

Conclusion is MGS4 is not a big HW mover, but a big game with an established fanbase that has probably already bought a PS3 for it.

I don't think anyone disputed that MGS4 was a hardware mover.  But the truth is that lots of people (myself included) want the 80 gig system.  The sales for the system in Japan and Europe are disappointing, but I'll wait until the 80 gig comes back in america before I judge american numbers.

DMeisterJ said:
trestres said:

I don't think anyone disputed that MGS4 was a hardware mover.  But the truth is that lots of people (myself included) want the 80 gig system.  The sales for the system in Japan and Europe are disappointing, but I'll wait until the 80 gig comes back in america before I judge american numbers.

o_O

I guess these 8.000 posts are on THIS site. Errrrr, is someone else posting for the last 2 months???

GTAIV WASN't a HW mover. Alright

MGS with a great bundle and a 100 $ gift, wasn't a HW mover.

What game exactly are you expecting to be a HW mover for PS3??? Killzone or Resistance 2?

Oh, don't tell me FFXIII! Is there a gamer out there who desires FF XIII and hasn't bought his PS3 yet? Then he must be REALLY patient...

Leetgeek said:
kowenicki said:
Leetgeek said:

@ Happy

I think some peoples exact words where "Domination starts (insert every PS3 exclusive released since launch)".. and I've always enjoyed those "When will PS3 pass the 360" Threads and reading people replies of how quick the PS3 will sell.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)