By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 sales post MGS4

epinefridis said:
DMeisterJ said:
trestres said:
MGS4 effect on PS3 HW sales was more like a bump rather than a long term effect. Sales will be the same like before MGS4 launched in 1 week.

Conclusion is MGS4 is not a big HW mover, but a big game with an established fanbase that has probably already bought a PS3 for it.

I don't think anyone disputed that MGS4 was a hardware mover.  But the truth is that lots of people (myself included) want the 80 gig system.  The sales for the system in Japan and Europe are disappointing, but I'll wait until the 80 gig comes back in america before I judge american numbers.

o_O

I guess these 8.000 posts are on THIS site. Errrrr, is someone else posting for the last 2 months???

GTAIV WASN't a HW mover. Alright

MGS with a great bundle and a 100 $ gift, wasn't a HW mover.

What game exactly are you expecting to be a HW mover for PS3??? Killzone or Resistance 2?

Oh, don't tell me FFXIII! Is there a gamer out there who desires FF XIII and hasn't bought his PS3 yet? Then he must be REALLY patient...

There is no hardware mover!  There is no magic bullet that will help the PS3 sell...  I don't think any game will push consoles.  They will increase peoples reasoning for buying the system, but there is no magical bullet for PS3 sales.  I think that applies to every console though.  I hope that people are beginning to understand that there is no one game that will push consoles, at least not in this generation.

Around the Network

Like dmeister said for a lot of people the HW boost was less about MGS and more about the 80gig coming back. It's a bit unfair to say MGS4 was responsible for close to 200k consoles sold.

Edit:

I hope that people are beginning to understand that there is no one game that will push consoles, at least not in this generation.

While i'd normally agree with you I think there is one exception this generation.  Wii Sports.  Wii Sports combined with the wiimote was such a radical departure from traditional gaming that it has been able to hook millions of nongamers and people who usually look down upon the traditional "geeky" gamers.  Without Wii Sports being bundled as free advertising basically to get others to buy a Wii I really don't think the Wii would be where it is now.

@DMeisterJ
Now, that's something logical I heard today! No magic Bullet for none of the HD consoles. The plain truth...

epinefridis said:
@DMeisterJ
Now, that's something logical I heard today! No magic Bullet for none of the HD consoles. The plain truth...

I didn't mean all consoles, I meant all consoles.

ps3 sales are better than 360 sales worldwide thats all that matters in the hd race.

i stick to my prediction that ps3 will be ahead of 360 mid 2009

if we can have a £249 or a £199 ps3 in 2009, you may as well call it in the bag for sony

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network
Leetgeek said:
kowenicki said:
Leetgeek said:

@ Happy

Yeah? Cuz I thought PS3 has outsold the 360 by 1.2 mill this year.

amazing how PS3 expectations have collapsed since the launch...

Which expectations? That it will outsell the 360? That expectation hasn't collapsed at all.
Ohhhhh your talking about the Wii? Lol. Whuts that got to do with the 360 getting pwned? 360 fans lol always saying somthing along the lines of: "so what if PS3 outsells the 360 it'll never outsell the Wii".

ROFL do you really want to compare the sales of a $250 machine to a $500 machine? Fine, that doesn't change the 360s situation at all. The Wii is going to sell at least as well as PS2. But just because it sells better doesn't mean it is better. Wii fit will probobly outsell the legend of zelda TP but which one would YOU rather have. The Toyota Camery will probly sell more units then the Mercedes Benz this year which one would YOU rather have?

i think i love you..... that was beautifully said

I don't agree with the notion that a game this generation won't push hardware sales, at least for the 360. GOW and and Halo 3 just smash that theory. But MGS is not quite that high profile.

200k is a very insignificant number if you look beyond a couple weeks.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Passenger57 said:
I don't agree with the notion that a game this generation won't push hardware sales, at least for the 360. GOW and and Halo 3 just smash that theory. But MGS is not quite that high profile.

I don't think either of them pushed consoles.  They provided a boost to the systems sales, but I'm talking about constant elevated sales, not elevated sales the week a game comes out and a few weeks later.  I'm talking months, not weeks.

Skeeuk said:

ps3 sales are better than 360 sales worldwide thats all that matters in the hd race.

i stick to my prediction that ps3 will be ahead of 360 mid 2009

if we can have a £249 or a £199 ps3 in 2009, you may as well call it in the bag for sony

A £199 PS3 in europe would absolutley kill XBOX 360 sales .