By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the DS make 70% marketshare?

If there really is a DS re-model coming soon, then almost certainly yes.

If there isn't, then I am doubtful but it has a chance. It just needs to pick up in Japan.

Around the Network

I think it will but you never know.

Well one day as they were throwing paper balls at me, i stabbed one of the fat bullys in the eye with a pencil and used his body to manuever through the others as i pelted rocks at them one by one, soon after i threw each and every one of their bodies off a building, and put their heads on staffs, to show the world.

MK Wii friend Code 0688-5391-5318

it might when chrono trigger,DQIX and the holidays happen

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

smbu2000 said:
Nintendo needs to release a new color for the DSL in Japan. The last new one was the crimson/black a few months ago. It also needs for big games to be released.(Derby Stallion just gave it a nice boost in JP) Should have nice bumps during the DQ re-make releases, but DQIX will give it the biggest boost of all.

Pretty much everywhere outside of Japan, the DS is crushing the PSP. Taking a look at this weeks sales the DSL sold 502K out of the total 701K handhelds sold(DSL+PSP total for the week), which amounts to about 71% of the total for the week. If the DSL can keep it up for awhile then it will be able to surpass the 70% mark for total marketshare.

That 502k is the Wii's numbers for the week. I know, it's easy to get confused this week as usually the DS is the #1 seller!

This week the DS's 417k was 67.9% of the market share, slightly higher than it's total market share.  I kind of doubt the DS will be getting a big boost any time soon, so I think the market share will probably stay close to where it is, unless for whatever reason the PSP gets really big.

Though another remodel would (artificially) boost market share, this is true.

Without a remodel it would consistiently have to sell over 2 1/3 times as many units as the PSP.

Possibly by later this year...

Around the Network

It is very possible.

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

but i must add,in the end it wobt be at or above 70% though

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

It may be possible.

On the other hand the DS has been losing market share for a while now (roughly since the PSP started heating up in japan). I guess is that it won't go up to 70%

its possible, it will never match the gameboys though, they all had 99% or so market share.

mariozeldametroid said:
All it takes is a redesign, and the DS will have the highest percentage of marketshare in any kind of competition in the industry. Yes, the Gameboys have had more marketshare, but those had absolutely no competition.
If the redesign is popular enough, if the DS2 isn't launched too soon, and the PSP2 is launched early, killing of the original PSP, it might even be able to pass NES' 85% or so domination.

But that's speculation. If everything keeps on going the way it does now, and the two successors will launch in, say, 2 years from now, the DS will probably either reach just under 70%, or just over it.

And about Sony being able to redesign their handheld: they won't. They just redesigned it a few months ago.

lol that just made me laugh big times . You do know that for that to happen we should be talking way over 100 million sales and we would need the PSP to stop selling . Man , I like your JL style ;)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!