By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the DS make 70% marketshare?

NiKKoM said:
Yes it will.. especially when Chrono Cross is released...

Chrono Cross is coming to the DS?  No, wait a minute, it's CT that is coming to the DS

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=0&id=11513
as you can see here it has been higher and since then has drop just a few %
imo i think it won't reach it, psp has been doing better over the past year

Wow, I forgot the DS had that high of marketshare percentage a year ago.  So close, but I guess it just couldn't push it then.  But what about now?  The DS has outsold the PSP this week, and I'm thinking it will for the rest of the year on average.  Will it reach at least 69% do you think?

Kingdom Hearts 3 Bet: If Kingdom Hearts 3 becomes a multiplaform title/is not Wii exclusive then I will be banished from this land for 1 week and sing my praises to those who have proved themselves to be more intelligent than I.http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/RDBRaptor/rdbraptor_sig16.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">
My Anime List

No i doubt DS will get 70+% marketshare.

PSP is selling incredably well and DS is starting to reach its limits. In Japan expect DS to decline heavily next year due to the fact its already saturated the Japanese market. I also expect some decline in NA and European sales due to the DS having already hit its peak.

It should continue to outsell PSP -- but PSP will slowly be gaining market share. Im guessing by the end of the year it'll be 66.5% vs. 33.5% and that trend should continue for the forseeable future.

RDBRaptor said:
kirby007 said:
http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=0&id=11513
as you can see here it has been higher and since then has drop just a few %
imo i think it won't reach it, psp has been doing better over the past year

Wow, I forgot the DS had that high of marketshare percentage a year ago.  So close, but I guess it just couldn't push it then.  But what about now?  The DS has outsold the PSP this week, and I'm thinking it will for the rest of the year on average.  Will it reach at least 69% do you think?

It has to do more then outsell the PSP, it has to outsell it at a higher rate then the current marketshare percentage is.

I don't think it will make it at this rate, but with a few big releases it could get that push.

Nintendo needs to release a new color for the DSL in Japan. The last new one was the crimson/black a few months ago. It also needs for big games to be released.(Derby Stallion just gave it a nice boost in JP) Should have nice bumps during the DQ re-make releases, but DQIX will give it the biggest boost of all.

Pretty much everywhere outside of Japan, the DS is crushing the PSP. Taking a look at this weeks sales the DSL sold 502K out of the total 701K handhelds sold(DSL+PSP total for the week), which amounts to about 71% of the total for the week. If the DSL can keep it up for awhile then it will be able to surpass the 70% mark for total marketshare.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Around the Network
smbu2000 said:
Nintendo needs to release a new color for the DSL in Japan. The last new one was the crimson/black a few months ago. It also needs for big games to be released.(Derby Stallion just gave it a nice boost in JP) Should have nice bumps during the DQ re-make releases, but DQIX will give it the biggest boost of all.

Pretty much everywhere outside of Japan, the DS is crushing the PSP. Taking a look at this weeks sales the DSL sold 502K out of the total 701K handhelds sold(DSL+PSP total for the week), which amounts to about 71% of the total for the week. If the DSL can keep it up for awhile then it will be able to surpass the 70% mark for total marketshare.

Yes , the only thing is that the PSP could easily get a redesign , a big game , pricedrop etc. No , it will never do it , I think it will be more of a 2/3 lead in the entire market at the end of the gen . Shure , Sony could kill the sales of the PSP by relesing a PSP2 , but so could Nintendo ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Let's just say Nintendo and Sony's next handhelds come out at roughly the same time. At that point, I'd expect PSP sales to nosedive and DS sales to remain pretty high a few years into the new cycle. Only winning consoles have ever had the momentum to last into new cycles.

So PSP will continue to gain marketshare on DS for the immediate future, but eventually DS will make marketshare back. Whether it makes it above 70% is anyone's guess.

Of course, if the next Nintendo handheld comes out a year or more before the next Sony one, DS might never start gaining marketshare again. But does anyone really see that happening? Outside of the Japan turnaround, PSP is running on steam. Every several months some publisher slams the system. I'm not saying they'll do it in the next 18 months, but Sony should be ready to reboot PSP before Nintendo moves on from DS.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

It will for 1 reason, it's gonna keep selling after the PSP has died. It's gonna hover around where it is now for quite a while though.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Erik Aston said:
Let's just say Nintendo and Sony's next handhelds come out at roughly the same time. At that point, I'd expect PSP sales to nosedive and DS sales to remain pretty high a few years into the new cycle. Only winning consoles have ever had the momentum to last into new cycles.

So PSP will continue to gain marketshare on DS for the immediate future, but eventually DS will make marketshare back. Whether it makes it above 70% is anyone's guess.

Of course, if the next Nintendo handheld comes out a year or more before the next Sony one, DS might never start gaining marketshare again. But does anyone really see that happening? Outside of the Japan turnaround, PSP is running on steam. Every several months some publisher slams the system. I'm not saying they'll do it in the next 18 months, but Sony should be ready to reboot PSP before Nintendo moves on from DS.

It all depends on how Nintendos next handheld will be . Who knows , maybe if the pricetag will be less then 20$ different ( ex: 100$ vs. 120$ ) the DS2 could kill of sales fast . Especially if Nintendo will not push the older system IMO . But yeah , it will probably have longer sales then the PSP ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

All it takes is a redesign, and the DS will have the highest percentage of marketshare in any kind of competition in the industry. Yes, the Gameboys have had more marketshare, but those had absolutely no competition.
If the redesign is popular enough, if the DS2 isn't launched too soon, and the PSP2 is launched early, killing of the original PSP, it might even be able to pass NES' 85% or so domination.

But that's speculation. If everything keeps on going the way it does now, and the two successors will launch in, say, 2 years from now, the DS will probably either reach just under 70%, or just over it.

And about Sony being able to redesign their handheld: they won't. They just redesigned it a few months ago.