By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Critical lesson Sony (hopefully) learnt this gen...

...make your own games and don't rely 100% on third parties (they're finicky)!

Who agrees that Sony used to make more AAA games back in the PSone gen? Then came the PS2 gen and the only AAA games I can think of that were developed by Sony is GT3 & 4

They even made great JRPGs on their own in the PSone gen...LOD anyone?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

Totally disagree. It's 3rd party games that make systems. Without 3rd party support systems fail. Look at the N64. Watch what you say.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

True,Sony should focus on getting their 1st party games up to the level that some 3rd party ones have.Look at Nintendo.

Sony learnt a whole lot this gen.....they may never return to their their golden days....but hey, you learn from your mistakes and that's more important that profit

Sony does have a pretty good repertoire of first-party gems.

Resistance, Uncharted, Ratchet, and Jak are all good first party games. Killzone 2 may turn out well. LBP looks awesome. And the Socom series has failed to disappoint.

Around the Network

@XGamer.

Actually neither the N64 or the GC can really be considered complete failures, Nintendo made large amounts of cash with both of them. The Wii is also struggling to get third party support but there is no way it could be claimed to have in any way failed.

OT: Didn't Sony once own both Spyro and Crash? Why they sold off two (back then) very solid platformers I don't understand. Those were some of the best games on the PS1.

>...make your own games and don't rely 100% on third parties (they're finicky)!

kinda hard to claim that Sony doesn't make their own games. Have you seen Sony's first party game list?

If there's one console that has good balance between good list of first party games and third party games. it's Sony

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Rath said:
@XGamer.

Actually neither the N64 or the GC can really be considered complete failures, Nintendo made large amounts of cash with both of them. The Wii is also struggling to get third party support but there is no way it could be claimed to have in any way failed.

OT: Didn't Sony once own both Spyro and Crash? Why they sold off two (back then) very solid platformers I don't understand. Those were some of the best games on the PS1.

I'm still wondering why did they do that..

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

They didn't sell them, the companies that made them were part of other companies, as Universal developed Crash, so when some left there to form Naught Dog and join Sony (I think they might have been independant first) the IP stayed with Universal.

A good amount PS3's better games were made by themselves this generation.

I disagree.

I think Sony first party is the best.
Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Polyphony, Team ICO, to name a few.