By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Critical lesson Sony (hopefully) learnt this gen...

XGamer0611 said:
Totally disagree. It's 3rd party games that make systems. Without 3rd party support systems fail. Look at the N64. Watch what you say.

I didn't say 3rd party support wasn't important. My point is that its not always reliable. When JRPGs start being exclusive to the 360 and bad ports keep happening on ps3, you know you have serious problems but the problems won't be serious if you had a steady stream of your own AAA titles supporting the system. Thats the only reason Nintendo is still around.

Sony supported the PSone with a lot of good software but got lazy and left it to 3rd parties in the ps2 gen. Now they're suffering from that mistake during the ps3 gen!

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

I hope they learned a lot of lessons this generation. I'm not sure this was one of their mistakes, though. Seems to me that Sony's going in both guns blazing on its first-party franchises, and it's got some good ones. Among them:

Gran Turismo

God of War

Ico/SotC

Jak and Daxter

Killzone

LittleBigPlanet

MotorStorm

Ratchet & Clank

Resistance

SOCOM

Syphon Filter

Twisted Metal

Uncharted

Warhawk

White Knight Chronicles

Note that many of those also appeared last gen, so it wasn't just Gran Turismo.

This isn't something you're supposed to say in polite company, but in my opinion Sony has the best first-party holdings in the world. Better than Nintendo.

i think the GOD of War series is very good, its an AAA game for me

PSN ID: getrdone25

Sony should buy more quality studios that have a proven track record as they did with the Motorstorm studio. At the very least acquire 10-15% of the company as Nintendo did with Rare. The problem this gen has really been that Sony did very little while MS bribed everyone for things like timed exclusivity and DLed content. Through bribes MS has floated a 2nd rate console far longer then it would be allowed to persist normally.

Sony is far larger then any of the software makers like EA, Take Two and the rest, if they wanted to acquire any of them it wouldn't be hard. Sony has higher revenue in a month then EA has all year (and more net income in 3 weeks then EA has all year). Its not like Sony doesn't have huge amounts of ownership in other media types, they bought MGM recently, own huge catalogues of movies, TV shows and music, they've been a media company for a long time so its not like they don't have a framework to handle these acquisitions.

I think they're starting to realize that they need to fight harder for this generation (and future ones) and will step up the acquisition game. One acquisition that would make an incredible amount of sense is Square Enix. The market Capitalization is only around 2.3 billion dollars and they have a huge pull in key markets for the PS3 (and it would stop this making games for 360 crap). If any one company has been key to the rise of the PS and PS2, its Square.  With Square working on only PS3 games it wouldn't take long for A) sony to get a decent set of JRPGs going and B) Sony to make back a lot of its investment in added Japanese sales and game sales.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

kingofwale said:
>...make your own games and don't rely 100% on third parties (they're finicky)!

kinda hard to claim that Sony doesn't make their own games. Have you seen Sony's first party game list?

If there's one console that has good balance between good list of first party games and third party games. it's Sony

I agree that they've stepped up their game after ps3's poor reception but it is nowhere near what it was in the ps1 gen. They made almost every genre of game imaginable. In the ps2 gen, they really didn't do much outside GT and SOCOM. Now, SCEJ seems to be in a coma...they should be the ones filling up the JRPG loophole!

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

A lot of strong series on PS2 were first party...

Gran Turismo 3 + 4
God of War 1 + 2
Ratchet and Clank Series
Jak & Daxter Series
Socom Series
MLB: The Show series
Shadow of the Colossus

3rd party defenitly helped a lot, but it's not like Sony was completly unreliant on their own studios.

Through bribes MS has floated a 2nd rate console far longer then it would be allowed to persist normally.

Second-rate how? Developer support is what defines how good a console is. By securing that support, they turned the Xbox into a first-rate console.

@Impulsivity.

Buying a developer is a risky business. Quite often when you buy one that doesn't want to be bought the talent leaves and you are left with an empty shell and a bunch of franchises.
Buying SE would be monumentally foolish for any of the current console makers.

They have littlebigplanet that they can work with to make a game. So that is there fault that they are doing this poorly this gen

Pristine20 said:
kingofwale said:
>...make your own games and don't rely 100% on third parties (they're finicky)!

kinda hard to claim that Sony doesn't make their own games. Have you seen Sony's first party game list?

If there's one console that has good balance between good list of first party games and third party games. it's Sony

I agree that they've stepped up their game after ps3's poor reception but it is nowhere near what it was in the ps1 gen. They made almost every genre of game imaginable. In the ps2 gen, they really didn't do much outside GT and SOCOM. Now, SCEJ seems to be in a coma...they should be the ones filling up the JRPG loophole!

I think you overestimate PS1 first party software. What made PS1 so successful was also largely due to 3rd party games like Metal Gear Solid, the Final Fantasy series, Resident Evil and Gran Turismo (1st party) and lots more all exclusive to it.