By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Critical lesson Sony (hopefully) learnt this gen...

impulsivity should get banned

Around the Network
Impulsivity said:

I have no idea what AC is, but Ill give you battalion wars (and advance wars for that matter).  As to compilation mini games like Wario Ware and Supe Smash Bros A) the ideas are over 10 years old now and B) its not the same as a new IP.  Making Crash Bandicoot racing is not the same as creating a new IP, its just a cheap shortcut.

Super smash bros mini game I think I will laugh sorry but this is pricless! AC is Animal crossing. Also go to sc94597's games since he's been with Nintendo longer then I have...

And Battalion wars is real time not turn based get your facts straight...

Former something....

Impulsivity said:
Borkachev said:
Through bribes MS has floated a 2nd rate console far longer then it would be allowed to persist normally.

Second-rate how? Developer support is what defines how good a console is. By securing that support, they turned the Xbox into a first-rate console.

You cannot turn a console into a first rate console through buying exclusives.  The PS3 is a first rate console in that it uses cutting edge technology, can support large immersive and visually impressive worlds and has tons of added features for a high value total package.  The 360 is a crappy old tech computer with minimal features that has a hard time handling high end games.  When EPIC talked about porting GOW to the PC they discussed how a lot of the extra levels they added were way beyond what the 360 could handle; similarly if you compare the multi console releases which are dumbed down by the 360 with the PS3 only releases its like night and day.  If you compare the graphics of a game like Devil May Cry 4 with Heavenly Sword or even Call of Duty 4 with MGS4 its not even close.  

The 360 is a second rate console not due to support but due to design and capabilities.  The controller sucks, the system is noisier then 4 PM in Times Square, the DVD media is outdated and the processor isn't up to the tasks of modern gaming (Ninja Gaiden 2 has horrid Xbox level graphics and STILL hangs when there are more then 6 rival ninjas).  The console sucks which is why MS is bribing others and taking 6 billion dollars in losses to keep an inferior system afloat.  You can tell how good a console is by how little bribe money you have to pay; I don't remember anyone talking about Sony bribing people with the PS2.

That is your opinion. A lot of ppl disagree with that rash statement.

Ok on topic, Sony has an excellent lineup and I believe they will do fine this gen. They may not have the success of the PS2 but lets be honest, thats one hell of a mountain to climb. The PS3 probably will outsell the 360 this gen but not by the colossal amount that some people believe. (Profit and software is still up for grabs between the 2) All in all each console will come out fine in this gen. MS will have expanded it's userbase and is now turning a profit. Sony, well hell they brought blu-ray technology to us and they still have their stellar first party exclusives. And I don't need to go into the Wii.

Consoles Owned: Sega Genesis, NES, PS2 (RIP) N64, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii

"In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is rule."

~ Friedrich Nietzsche

Blacksaber said:
Impulsivity said:
Borkachev said:

I hope they learned a lot of lessons this generation. I'm not sure this was one of their mistakes, though. Seems to me that Sony's going in both guns blazing on its first-party franchises, and it's got some good ones. Among them:

Gran Turismo

God of War

Ico/SotC

Jak and Daxter

Killzone

LittleBigPlanet

MotorStorm

Ratchet & Clank

Resistance

SOCOM

Syphon Filter

Twisted Metal

Uncharted

Warhawk

White Knight Chronicles

Note that many of those also appeared last gen, so it wasn't just Gran Turismo.

This isn't something you're supposed to say in polite company, but in my opinion Sony has the best first-party holdings in the world. Better than Nintendo.

Its not as much that Sony has better first party holdings then Nintendo as it is that they actually develop NEW ideas!

Can anyone think of a new IP from the last 20 years Nintendo has created?  OK Pikmin, Ill give you that, what else?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Exactly.

Nintendo is up to Mario 10, Metroid 6, Zelda 9, Mario Kart 7, Mario Party 8 ect.  They have had very few new ideas for quality franchises over the past 2 decades.  With every new Nintendo system you know exactly what games you're going to get, its just a question of when.

Sony has new and very cool franchises that pop up even if its sometimes hit and miss.  They even have a few I really liked that haven't been developed in a while like Jet Moto or Legends of Dragoon.  Heavenly Sword is also owned by Sony even if Ninja Theory isn't making the next one.  They have cool new characters every few years and develop them from scratch into interesting and compelling franchises.  One thing I prefer about the PS systems is I DON'T know what I'm going to get ahead of time, there are always great games like Resistance, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword and LIttle Big Planet to surprise me.

AC, WarioWare, Paper Mario, Donkey Konk Barrel games, Mario Strikers, Super Smash Bros, Luigi's mansion, Battlion Wars from the top of my head and I've only had A Ninty since gamecube..Anyone wants to add go on since I haven't had many of them...

How many of those games rely on the mario franchise to sell?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Impulsivity said:
Pristine20 said:
Impulsivity said:

@ pristine20

You and me both on the S-E thing.  I would give just about anything for a Parasite Eve 3.  That was the pinnacle of the survival horror scene and action RPG scene at the same time.  I can't think of a single better action RPG, why they haven't made another (even though the first two DID sell a ton) is beyond me.  Now the only action RPGs I get from Square star Mickey and Goofy instead of New York detectives.

It looks like we think alike. In my opinion, PE1&2>>>>>>>>RE anything and I'm not a big fan of KH either. I think its more a nintendo-type game with the goofy character models. I'll pay $120 for PE3!

I bid 200!

$300. I really would pay it. I've played through PE2 over 20 times.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

Hm I guess ignore my list now.

jenny said:
impulsivity should get banned

Why?

Pristine20 said:
fkusumot said:

FY                 Sony              Nintendo                Microsoft
2002        623,000,000        800,000,000          -750,000,000
2003        939,000,000        560,000,000        -1,191,000,000
2004        650,000,000        316,000,000        -1,215,000,000
2005        404,000,000        777,000,000           -485,000,000
2006          75,000,000        894,000,000        -1,262,000,000
2007    -1,969,000,000      1,489,000,000        -1,892,000,000
2008       -965,000,000     2,193,000,000             532,000,000
Total      -243,000,000      7,029,000,000        -6,263,000,000

your point? If you don't have anything to add to the discussion, it is not necessary to post

The point is obvious. Do see any correlation between third party support and earnings? If you do or don't what would be the critical lesson that Sony would learn about more money spent towards developing 1st party software? Can Sony learn any lessons from what happened to their competitors earnings in the same time period? If you can't think these things through yourself before quoting a post then it's not necessary to quote.

makingmusic476 said:
What does this have to do with the topic at hand?

The point is obvious. We're talking about lessons learned here.

sc94597 said:
Hm I guess ignore my list now.

Yep and how did we both forget Pokemon?

Former something....

Falcon095 said:
Rath said:
@XGamer.

Actually neither the N64 or the GC can really be considered complete failures, Nintendo made large amounts of cash with both of them. The Wii is also struggling to get third party support but there is no way it could be claimed to have in any way failed.

OT: Didn't Sony once own both Spyro and Crash? Why they sold off two (back then) very solid platformers I don't understand. Those were some of the best games on the PS1.

I'm still wondering why did they do that..

Naughty Dog made Crash and Insomniac made Spyro. After the PS1 days, the two devs wanted to make new franchises (Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank, respectively). So why would Sony hold onto those two IPs when the studios don't even want to make those games? Would you really rather have Crash and Spyro over Jak and Ratchet?

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.