By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Critical lesson Sony (hopefully) learnt this gen...

Pristine20 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Pristine20 said:

...make your own games and don't rely 100% on third parties (they're finicky)!

Who agrees that Sony used to make more AAA games back in the PSone gen? Then came the PS2 gen and the only AAA games I can think of that were developed by Sony is GT3 & 4

They even made great JRPGs on their own in the PSone gen...LOD anyone?

Sony published loads of great games last gen:

1st party:

Jak series
Ico/Shadow of the Colossus
God of War series
Ape Escape series
Twisted Metal series
Socom series
Syphon Filter series (though they weren't too good last gen)
Wipeout series

...and the already mentioned Gran Turismo series.

2nd party:

Ratchet series
Sly Cooper series

And the Legend of Dragoon is the ONLY jrpg Sony has ever internally developed.  They need to get SCEI working on another.

Maybe they could get Polyphony Digital to work on it.  Kaz has said he'd like to work on an RPG one day, and Omega Boost proves they're pretty good at making non-racing sim games.

Syphon filter was one of my fav series ps gen. They really blew it in the ps2 gen!

LOD was excellent...I wonder why they stopped making JRPGs? maybe they chose to rely on Square? Now that games like The Last Remnant  and SO4 are timed exclusives, I don't think they can rely on Square anymore. SCEI needs to step up their JRPG game

They rely on Level 5.  The published Level 5's Dark CLoud 1/2 and Rogue Galaxy for the ps2, Jeanne D'Arc for the PSP, and White Knight Chronicles for the ps3.  Sony actually owns all these properties.

If I were Sony, I would sign some sort of 2nd party contract with them or else buy them outright, so that they'd stop spending time on things like Professor Layton and DQIX on the DS and focus more on the PlayStation systems.

Though if they did that, I'd sure miss Prof. Layton. :(

Around the Network
Impulsivity said:
Pristine20 said:
Blacksaber said:
sc94597 said:
Hm I guess ignore my list now.

Yep and how did we both forget Pokemon?

My main problem with nintendo is : I really can't stand goofy character models but kudos to those who love them. Thats why FFix is my worst FF!

Haha FFIX is the ONE FF I didn't finish out of 12 (well not counting 11 which you really can't finish).  I just feel kind of silly playing games like that, especially since I usually have to play them in front of my wife since the computer and TV are in the big main room.  The last thing I want is to be sitting there in shame playing a game that looks like Dragon Ball Z.  I greatly prefer more adult RPGs like.....Parasite Eve!  I'll deal with cheesy Japanese inspired dialogue, but please no cartoon characters with giant heads (I lasted about 12 minutes with Blue Dragon)

I just can't stand those kinds of games! I only finished FFIX because it had FF in its name. All those pokemon pikimin, nintendogs, mario-type stuff is just not my thing! I'd rather play tekken 6 and soul calibur iv than SSBB! The giant head thing turned me away from the wii immediately. I actually considered buying it so I could invite girls to play wii sports but when I saw the wii sports characters, I almost threw up. why can't they just look like real people?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Impulsivity said:
Can the Wii Fanboys who want to point out the superiority of casual games in terms of sales (like everyone didn't already know that was the case) just go somewhere else to gloat about how many people line up to buy the same game they've played for 2 decades? I mean seriously, this thread isn't about you or for you. The Wii and the PS3 are barely in the same tree when it comes to video game markets. I doubt anyone is at the store thinking hmm....Do I want to buy a Wii and Carnival Games or a PS3 and Metal Gear Solid 4. Grats you've sold more, those of us interested in HD games really could care less, you're not going to pull us from games like MGS4 with all the self referential Nintendo games in the world, not even if the Wii gets a 20 to 1 sales advantage.

As to the topic of first party support at hand, I think a big help would be a revemp of several series that kind of hit a wall a few years ago. Siphon Filter could be cool again (it was splinter cell before Splinter Cell existed) and so could Jet Moto, to just name two. Though more then anything else a permanent 299 price point would do wonders. When the PS2 hit 199 in 2002 thats when sales REALLY picked up, its all about the price point.

Sony really blew Syphon filter last gen. WTF was up with omega strain? Frankly, I'd have to see its reviews before taking the plunge this time around.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Blacksaber said:
Pristine20 said:
Blacksaber said:
sc94597 said:
Hm I guess ignore my list now.

Yep and how did we both forget Pokemon?

My main problem with nintendo is : I really can't stand goofy character models but kudos to those who love them. Thats why FFix is my worst FF!

Well that explains alot Link and Samus are the few who are not....I can stand them but I think it does not hurt that I like Anime so I'm used to that kind of stuff.

looks like we finally understand each other. I'd actually play metroid but shooters are the last thing I need to play now! I do like anime as well but only the ones with  realistic character models.

fkusumot said:
Pristine20 said:

When scrolling through posts, I don't have the time to figure out what you mean. Its much easier for everyone if you state your point rather than posting profits and losses. You seem to support my opening post that sony should develop more AAA first party IP's. If thats not what you're getting at, I really don't understand. Thanks for adding to the discussion though!

That's the gist of it. That's what I was getting at.

I agree, for the most part.  Had Sony focused it's first party efforts entirely on the ps3 last year instead of the ps2 (resulting in games like God of War II releasing on the ps3), the system would've been much better off.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
Pristine20 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Pristine20 said:

Who agrees that Sony used to make more AAA games back in the PSone gen? Then came the PS2 gen and the only AAA games I can think of that were developed by Sony is GT3 & 4

1st party:

Jak series
God of War series
Ape Escape series
Twisted Metal series
Socom series
Wipeout series

2nd party:

Ratchet series
Sly Cooper series

And the Legend of Dragoon is the ONLY jrpg Sony has ever internally developed.  They need to get SCEI working on another.

Maybe they could get Polyphony Digital to work on it.  Kaz has said he'd like to work on an RPG one day, and Omega Boost proves they're pretty good at making non-racing sim games.

Syphon filter was one of my fav series ps gen. They really blew it in the ps2 gen!

LOD was excellent...I wonder why they stopped making JRPGs? maybe they chose to rely on Square? Now that games like The Last Remnant  and SO4 are timed exclusives, I don't think they can rely on Square anymore. SCEI needs to step up their JRPG game

They rely on Level 5.  The published Level 5's Dark CLoud 1/2 and Rogue Galaxy for the ps2, Jeanne D'Arc for the PSP, and White Knight Chronicles for the ps3.  Sony actually owns all these properties.

If I were Sony, I would sign some sort of 2nd party contract with them or else buy them outright, so that they'd stop spending time on things like Professor Layton and DQIX on the DS and focus more on the PlayStation systems.

I thought S-E was developing DQIX? Maybe level-5 isn't selling? And as someone pointed out already: they could purchase the company and lose the employees who make it great!

Pristine20, look at this from a numerical standpoint. Sony has been publishing more titles for its home consoles year for year than Nintendo since the launch of the ps2.

The only thing that could really be argued here is that they have been too slow in switching from ps2 to ps3 development, resulting in games like God of War II hitting the ps2 months after the ps3's launch.

Pristine20 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Pristine20 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Pristine20 said:

1st party:

Jak series
God of War series
Ape Escape series
Twisted Metal series
Socom series
Wipeout series

2nd party:

Ratchet series
Sly Cooper series

I thought S-E was developing DQIX? Maybe level-5 isn't selling? And as someone pointed out already: they could purchase the company and lose the employees who make it great!

SE is publishing DQIX.  Level 5 are the developers.

makingmusic476 said:
Pristine20, look at this from a numerical standpoint. Sony has been publishing more titles for its home consoles year for year than Nintendo since the launch of the ps2.

The only thing that could really be argued here is that they have been too slow in switching from ps2 to ps3 development, resulting in games like God of War II hitting the ps2 months after the ps3's launch.

Good point but I was thinking of those actually developed by sony itself not just published. Think LOD. Remember that studios not owned wholly by sony can still be bought by M$. Case in point: Sony has a lot of shares in S-E...why are the last remnant and SO4 delayed exclusives? why is infinite undiscovery 60 only?

This is the basis for my claim that 3rd parties are finicky and more resources should be put into in-house development!

I liked Primal in the PS2 gen. Many people either didn't or forgot it exists. I only mention because the lists of 1st and 2nd party PS2 games almost always neglects this gem(at least I think it is.) Also, Drakan: The Ancient's Gate was pretty boss, too. :)

OT: I think Sony will have good representation this gen in both 1st, 2nd, and 3rd party titles both on the PS3 and the PSN. It's already showing that it can sell new IP's(Resistance, AC, Uncharted, HS), as well as established titles. Based on the sales of the first generation of software, I think Sony and the 3rd parties have a good idea of what the typical PS3 owner wants now as well as continuing to bring some fresh stuff(LBP, Pixeljunk Eden, Flowers, Afrika) to appeal to a bigger audience. As excited as I am about the announced games, I'm even more excited about the ones still on the drawing board.