By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Words or phrases that piss you off.

ddobson said:
"I could care less," when what the person really means is he/she could NOT care less about the topic at hand. I could care less than I do about anything I'm passionate about. "I could care less" implies SOME level of interest, but that's not how people use it. It's like an invisible double-negative.

I agree with this so much! I was going to post it until I saw this. 

Another one is 'addicting'. It's addictive! Addicting isn't a word. I think they're both Americanisms, don't really see them in the UK.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
a.l.e.x59 said:
Bodhesatva said:
Sup, I'm here to give ya dawgs the 411: this topic is hella lame.

1. Sup? Why do I keep thinking "7UP" when I see "Sup?" It's not even a word. It is an over simplified, abbreviation of the phrase, "What is up?"

What is up? --> What's up? --> Whats up? --> Wuts up? --> Wussap? --> Sup? --> Up?

2. I'm? Who abbreviated words like "I'm," "they're," and "aren't?" Why are people too lazy to type phrases like "I am," "they are," and "are not?" Like what the fuck? It takes 0.25 seconds longer to type "won't," than "will not," and looks twice as nice, and professional. Also, why can "will not" be abbreviated to "won't," and "wont?" How hard is it to add a stupid comma between the "n," and "t," never-the-less, type both words in full length?

I am --> I'm --> Im

3. Ya? You mean "Yeah." Is it that hard to type "e," and "h?" Just because the "e," and "h," are useless fucks, does not mean that you should ignore them.

Yeah --> Yah --> Ya (Ye)

4. Dawgs? Abbreviations are stupid, and lazy, but this? This is the complete reverse! So that must be a good thing, right? No... It is not... Why? Because even though "dawg" is longer than "dog," it looks incredibly retarded. Also, we are not "dawgs," so why did you call use "dawgs?" We are human-beings. I forgot what the unabbreviated form of "isn't is. Isn't that sad? Actually, no, it's not sad. I'm not sad right now. WTF? "WTF" doesn't even make any sense.

Dawg --> Dog

5. 411? I wont even begin to state why that is wrong. It doesn't even make any sense. It is a phone number for crying out loud. By the way, even "By the way," doesn't make sense. I'm not by anything. "Crying out loud" does not even make any sense. I am not crying out loud. I am so used to all of the abbreviations, and sentences, that do not make any sense, that even I find it hard to not use them in my posts.

411 --> 0 (operator)

5. Hella? Another word, that is not abbreviated, but bothers me as if it were. Since when is there an "a" at the end of "hella?" It looks like a regurgitated way of saying, "Helena," which is name.

Hella --> Hell

Er... I don't know if you pay attention to what Bod says, but even if you don't, it should have been obvious that he was joking. Only Chad Warden be that ballin.

You trippin, dawg -- Bod is straight up. Don't be playin like I ain't ballin, that's hella lame.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

BenKenobi88 said:
sheesh, calm down alex59, lol.

"pissing me off" is just a turn of phrase...it's not meant literally or anything...every language has these.

If anything, "pisses you off" should bother you because it ends in a preposition, which is a grammatical no-no.  You don't say, "Where did he go to?" You say, "Where did he go?" or "To where did he go?" if you're really picky.

EDIT: Um...and abbreviations are legitimate in language.....

Let's start with the word "Sheesh."

(By the way, when words that do not make sense, sound like other words, that also drives me crazy).

(By the way, "drives me crazy" doesn't make sense. You cannot drive "crazy," because "crazy" isn't tangible. You can drive a car, but you cannot drive a crazy).

Sheesh sounds like "Shhh," "Sheep," "Shishcabob" (I have no idea how to spell shishcabob) ("Shhh" doesn't make any sense. It's not even a word).

Sheesh doesn't make any sense. Who came up with the word? How did the trend of using "Sheesh" even begin? I want to know the name of the idiot who first used the word "Sheesh." There isn't even a true meaning of the word.

Okay, so we've gone through "Sheesh." Next thing that bothers me is when people remove periods from abbreviations. It's bad enough that people are too lazy to type the entire word down, but removing the periods is just worse. The periods is what prevents you from sounding out the abbreviation as it is, and makes you state each letter, individually. For example, "B.C." is pronounced, "Bee See." if you remove the periods from "B.C.," technically, the name is pronounced "Bic." Why not make life nicer, and just write "British Columbia?" By the way, my name is a.l.e.x59, not alex59... Sheesh...

(By the way, I know that the phrase "pisses you off" is not (not isn't) supposed to be meant literally. But still, why do these weird phrases exist? How were they created? And what kind of dumb ass made them?)

Next word is "no-no." Why is the word repeated twice? Once is good enough. How-how do-do you-you like-like this-this?-? (I even wrote the "?" down twice). Once is good enough.

Next word is "Um..." Wait, "Um... Is not even a word.

Last, but not least, why do some words have "..." at the end, and others have "....," or even "........." Three periods is enough, not four, or more (that rhymed).

I'm not insulting you, BenKenobi88, I am (not I'm) just insulting the "words that piss me off."

@Naznatips, I totally agree with you. I hate words like 1337, which use numbers instead of letters, the only time I've actually seen that done properly was on my Russian Visa, where some of the letter in my name had been replaced by numbers. I guess they probably just don't have those characters in Russian :| So, unless your language doesn't contain those characters, and so cannot type them with your regional keyboard, then LETTERS ARE USED FOR WORDS, NUMBERS ARE USED FOR, WELL, NUMBERS!

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

a.l.e.x59 said:
BenKenobi88 said:
sheesh, calm down alex59, lol.

"pissing me off" is just a turn of phrase...it's not meant literally or anything...every language has these.

If anything, "pisses you off" should bother you because it ends in a preposition, which is a grammatical no-no. You don't say, "Where did he go to?" You say, "Where did he go?" or "To where did he go?" if you're really picky.

EDIT: Um...and abbreviations are legitimate in language.....

Let's start with the word "Sheesh."

(By the way, when words that do not make sense, sound like other words, that also drives me crazy).

(By the way, "drives me crazy" doesn't make sense. You cannot drive "crazy," because "crazy" isn't tangible. You can drive a car, but you cannot drive a crazy).

Sheesh sounds like "Shhh," "Sheep," "Shishcabob" (I have no idea how to spell shishcabob) ("Shhh" doesn't make any sense. It's not even a word).

Sheesh doesn't make any sense. Who came up with the word? How did the trend of using "Sheesh" even begin? I want to know the name of the idiot who first used the word "Sheesh." There isn't even a true meaning of the word.

Okay, so we've gone through "Sheesh." Next thing that bothers me is when people remove periods from abbreviations. It's bad enough that people are too lazy to type the entire word down, but removing the periods is just worse. The periods is what prevents you from sounding out the abbreviation as it is, and makes you state each letter, individually. For example, "B.C." is pronounced, "Bee See." if you remove the periods from "B.C.," technically, the name is pronounced "Bic." Why not make life nicer, and just write "British Columbia?" By the way, my name is a.l.e.x59, not alex59... Sheesh...

(By the way, I know that the phrase "pisses you off" is not (not isn't) supposed to be meant literally. But still, why do these weird phrases exist? How were they created? And what kind of dumb ass made them?)

Next word is "no-no." Why is the word repeated twice? Once is good enough. How-how do-do you-you like-like this-this?-? (I even wrote the "?" down twice). Once is good enough.

Next word is "Um..." Wait, "Um... Is not even a word.

Last, but not least, why do some words have "..." at the end, and others have "....," or even "........." Three periods is enough, not four, or more (that rhymed).

I'm not insulting you, BenKenobi88, I am (not I'm) just insulted the "words that piss me off."

Seriously, get laid.  No offense.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

No offence is another big one. Some people think they could go to the Queen of England and say: "No offence but your an ugly old witch." Do you really think ugly old witch in not offensive because you sayed "no offence", well you sir are a hypocrite. No offence.

I bytheway (sorry for this a.l.e.x59) am a hypermegahypocrite :)

I had no idea this was going to be such a popular topic. :)

put another shrimp on the barbie

grrrr

yo Alex, da Eggman avvie is teh bomb

(he's gonna get realllllyyyyy pissed off now!)

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

What to 1337 and QFT stand for.

They really piss me off because i don't know what they mean.