By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360=10mill in 19 months // PS3=10mill in ????

The month after FF13 is released.

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:
leo-j said:
14 months I expect and the wii will hit 10 million 12 months, how you say well, heavely sword
uncharted:drakes fortune
ratchet and clank future
haze
assasins creed
gta 4
lair

Those games shoul;d really boost sales by the time christmas comes by, wii has no hardcore games and not in the horizon, the 360 has halo 3 and I think bioshock, but my prediction is that the ps3 will hit 10,000,000 sold to custumers by january 2008, the wii by december. Trust me it wil happen everybody wants a ps3 its just they dont have the $$$600 bukz....

So you're lising four games I haven't heard of except in PS3 forums and two games that are multiplatform and available on a much cheaper console. How will that significantly boost sales? Is that just like how VF5 and Motorstorm were going to boost sales? The 360 doesn't have any hardcore games but you listed GTA 4 and Assassin's Creed on the PS3. You realize that Assassin's Creed is supposed to be better on the 360 due to the extra processing power, right? The devs said some areas will be improved on the 360 version including artificial intelligence.

The Wii has no hardcore games? What about Godfather? What about Zelda? What about Metroid and Mario and Smash? You'd have to be mad to argue that *any* of the games you listed above for the PS3 will outsell Super Smash Brothers Brawl this year (not counting Xbox 360 sales of GTA4, obviously).

There's no way that the PS3 will have as good of a 2007 holiday season as the Xbox 360 had for their 2006 holiday season. The 360 had several things going for it:

(1) No real competition. The PS3 and Wii were supply constrained, and their existance actually *increased* xbox 360 sales because people who had no hope of getting either of those sometimes purchased the 360

(2) Price. The PS3 is not $300 or $400 like the 360 is. It's $600. And even with a price drop, it will be out of bounds of many holiday shoppers

(3) Game library. Even with big Sony exclusives, which are few and far between, it isn't as compelling as the 360's library was last year. Yes, there should be more games but many of them are ports of previous 360 works or not exclusive in any way.

Will the PS3 have a 1 million unit December in the US? This is possible, but unlikely. Will it have 500k in Europe? Maybe. 500k in Japan in December? Not likely at all. It's already available for ~$400 in Japan anyhow.

Further, the PS3's sales will continue to falter for a while because BD players are now much cheaper than the PS3 and will drop significantly by Christmas. You will find $250 standalone BD players by Christmas (right now good stand alone ones are about $450).

Because of all of this and their faltering sales in Japan, there is no reason to suspect the PS3 will do as well as the Xbox 360 did. And considering where Sony is coming from in this console war, comparing themselves to the 360 isn't somewhere they wanted to be. They wanted to have several times the sales of the Xbox 360, just like they did with the original Xbox.

IMO, PS3 will pass 10 million sometime between July 2008 and July 2009 (32-44 months).

This is too pessimistic and based on the idea that sales will continue to decline as they have thus far. While it seems obvious that sales aren't going to skyrocket within the next year or so, releasing some very attractive exclusives and addressing the price point issue could bolster sales somewhat. I think suggesting that it will take longer than two years to reach 10 million is a bit far fetched, but I also think it would be very unlikely to reach 10 million as fast as the 360.

Lets start at the top, how have you not heard of Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, lair and Haze. There have been multiple threads on this forum and many gaving websites have had previews concerning these games, and nearly every single one has been extremely positive. You also say that Assassins Creed and GTA IV will not shift hardware, but they will

You also say that the 360 has more processing power; what are you on about. There have been reports talking about the video card power, but that is something comepletely differenet

Now lets move onto your four main points

1. There is no real competition; do you remember that the 360 has struggled to outsell the PS2 for a long while, is that not competition enough.
  2.  Price, O.K. this is true, but of course the price is going to drop and most people will realise that it is worth it for all the exclusives
  3. What are these amazing 360 games, GRAW and Oblivion, which are all now avaliable on the PS3, plus Uncharted, R & C, probably Killzone, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, maybe MGS 4 + more

You also say that you do not think that Europe will get a 500,000 unit seller, I seem to remember that Sony announced that MotorStorm and Resistance have both been announced as selling more than that

You also say that the PS3's faltering sales in Japan will stop it. I seem to notice that the 360 has only sold about 350,000 units compared to PS3's roughly 900,000 sales.

Personally, I think that it will reach it by January, thanks to very strong sales throughout the holiday season. I would guess that sales will increase a bit in late June and July, thanks to RSV, NGS and Lair 

add me

a little before or after the 360, its hard to tell with everything thats goin on like when the price drop will be

Munkeh for your number 1 isn't the Wii the new PS2 for this holiday season, number 2 who is going to suddenly realize its now worth it that didn't think getting it for $240 under cost was worth it and the exclusives you mentioned aren't bad but its hard for me to believe that combined they will reach the sales of a game like Halo or even SSBB as those will probably sell at least 5-6 million and your top selling game with little competition on the system right now is RFoM at a little over 1 million so say those total reach 5 million do you really think they are magically just going to make the system worth it to those that are still hesident to buy? I say it takes about 24-32 months to pass the 10 million mark.

http://tinyurl.com/3cfkxx

Nearly indentical to 360 on the graph with recent trending not looking so hot. A price drop would certainly bump this, but that would cost Sony a lot of money.

I can't see them instigating a price drop until it becomes obvious that MS is going to do one. At that point they might announce a drop just before MS does to make it appear in the press that MS is reacting to their actions, much like they did last generation with the pre-E3 announcment right before MS's planned E3 price cut.

Around the Network

june 2008....but i think that by that time the distance from the 360 won't be reduced compared to present time (i predict again an advantage of 6-7 million units for the 360)

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

I would say in about 12 months from now!

Predictions for December 31st 2008:
Wii 38,000,000
DS 84,500,000
PS3 17,000,000
PSP 41,000,000
X360 23,000,000

Munkeh said:

Lets start at the top, how have you not heard of Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, lair and Haze. There have been multiple threads on this forum and many gaving websites have had previews concerning these games, and nearly every single one has been extremely positive. You also say that Assassins Creed and GTA IV will not shift hardware, but they will

You also say that the 360 has more processing power; what are you on about. There have been reports talking about the video card power, but that is something comepletely differenet

Now lets move onto your four main points

1. There is no real competition; do you remember that the 360 has struggled to outsell the PS2 for a long while, is that not competition enough.
  2. Price, O.K. this is true, but of course the price is going to drop and most people will realise that it is worth it for all the exclusives
  3. What are these amazing 360 games, GRAW and Oblivion, which are all now avaliable on the PS3, plus Uncharted, R & C, probably Killzone, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, maybe MGS 4 + more

You also say that you do not think that Europe will get a 500,000 unit seller, I seem to remember that Sony announced that MotorStorm and Resistance have both been announced as selling more than that

You also say that the PS3's faltering sales in Japan will stop it. I seem to notice that the 360 has only sold about 350,000 units compared to PS3's roughly 900,000 sales.

Personally, I think that it will reach it by January, thanks to very strong sales throughout the holiday season. I would guess that sales will increase a bit in late June and July, thanks to RSV, NGS and Lair

Er... I am as hardcore as gamers get and have no idea what Uncharted and Haze are.  I have heard Uncharted mentioned but not even any MENTION of Haze till here...  The definition of a system seller is a game that is so important to people that they will buy a new game system JUST to play that game.  If Assasin's Creed and GTAIV are on a cheaper system, then, as system sellers, THAT is the system that will get the sales boost. 

1. I agree, the PS2 was somewhat of a competition.  Still, nowhere near the kind of competition the PS3 is facing right now with the Wii (and to a lesser extent the 360).  

2. Worth means nothing.  I think the PS3 is worth it, but I still can't afford it.  Affordability matters above all else, and that barrier will not broken by ANY amount of good games.  

3. Again, you are naming games that are (or at least have the chance to be) good, but are new to the market and COMPLETELY untested.  There is no chance of these being system sellers.  They are nice bonuses for people who already own the system though.

Have Resistance and Motorstorm sold more than 500K in Europe, because according to this website they aren't even close.

Yes the PS3's sales are better in Japan than the 360's, but that's like comparing Dumb and dumber.  You are looking at bad and unbelievably bad.  

I like the PS3, but I'm also a reasonable man.  I don't expect it to hit till around 22 months, maybe a little earlier depending on price drops. 

JDWolf36 said:
Munkeh for your number 1 isn't the Wii the new PS2 for this holiday season, number 2 who is going to suddenly realize its now worth it that didn't think getting it for $240 under cost was worth it and the exclusives you mentioned aren't bad but its hard for me to believe that combined they will reach the sales of a game like Halo or even SSBB as those will probably sell at least 5-6 million and your top selling game with little competition on the system right now is RFoM at a little over 1 million so say those total reach 5 million do you really think they are magically just going to make the system worth it to those that are still hesident to buy? I say it takes about 24-32 months to pass the 10 million mark.

For number 1, I was simply saying that whoever first said that the 360 had no competition, which is why the PS3 will take longer.

2. you say that they won't reach the sales of Halo, but that is not what I am comparing it with, I am comparing it with the 360's hits of last year, which if I am correct, were GRAW and Obivion. The PS3's top exclusives will easily outdo them.

You can't say that selling over 1M copies for R: FoM is bad, when the userbase is only 3M, with an expanded user base, due to those games and others, quite a few of those games could get around 2M, combined, they could decrease the Halo effect. 

add me

Lair isn't getting released until August last I checked. Rainbow Six Vegas has been available for who knows how long, and NGS is an "exclusive" port of an old game. Software sales for the PS3 should pick up, which is very important, but I'm not sure hardware will do that great this month, or in July.

A good question is, what are the games people OUTSIDE of the forums and internet are talking about for PS3 and 360? For the 360, Halo 3 and GTAIV ... for the PS3, GTAIV and ..... I don't hear much talk about Uncharted, although I know about the game and it looks fantastic. I don't hear anything about Haze. MGS4 is up in the air no telling when that will drop between holiday 07 and before March 08. Final Fantasy definitely not coming this year. What big games are the Joe Schmoe's talking about for the PS3?