By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It begins the creator of GEARS OF WAR calls MGS4 " passive entertainment"

Why are you all taking it so seriously?

This whole thing is the company trying to get everyone talking about them and makes sure their name is out their. Don't do their marketing for them, ignore them and their lame-tactics.

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
darthdevidem01 said:
HappySqurriel said:

Although it is rare for me to agree with Cliffy B. I do agree with him here (although he said it in a kind of douche bag way) ... The fact is that the way Metal Gear Solid tells its story is inflexable and passive, and is (potentially) outdated when you compare it with other games like Half-Life or Bioshock.

Have you played MGS4?? I don't think so

{throws squirells & pumpkins @ happysquirel}

Not yet ... Played 1, 2 and 3 though and I'm planning on borrowing a PS3 to try out 4.

From what I understand, Metal Gear Solid 4 continues with the standard Metal Gear Solid formula of play for a little while and then watch a movie to get the story; this was a cutting edge storytelling technique when the Sega CD was released.

It refines that formula wel & adds in a few clever innovations....I don't wanna ruin your experience so I won't say what it is but you will be happy with how it is told.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

flames_of said:
Why are you all taking it so seriously?

This whole thing is the company trying to get everyone talking about them and makes sure their name is out their. Don't do their marketing for them, ignore them and their lame-tactics.

You just revealed their plans ,,lol

+1 for you

but Geow also desreves the hype like MGS4 .(i love them both I can't help it)

Riachu said:
Soriku said:
fazz said:
Yeah, because sitting on your couch with a controller, and moving only your fingers is not passive at all.

XD Epic win dude :D Epic is a crappy developer anyway so screw them. I'd rather buy a Kojima game than even THINK about buying an Epic game.

People are critizing MGS for having a lot of cutscenes while JRPGs seem to get away with it.  There are a lot of cutscenes in MGS4 but there is also plenty of gameplay to back it up.

What cutscenes in JRPG's are you seeing that are lasting more than half an hour on multiple occasions?  Cause I sure haven't seen any more than a few minutes.  I will admit that summoning some espers for the 10000th time in some of the FF's did get annoying...

i agree with with him, completely. and i find it funny how ppl can get so worked up with his comments, just ignore them. because all u do is keep what he said in the news and talked about for longer than it should be. if u dont like him than dont buy his games, same for any lead on a game.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network
darconi said:
Riachu said:
Soriku said:
fazz said:
Yeah, because sitting on your couch with a controller, and moving only your fingers is not passive at all.

XD Epic win dude :D Epic is a crappy developer anyway so screw them. I'd rather buy a Kojima game than even THINK about buying an Epic game.

People are critizing MGS for having a lot of cutscenes while JRPGs seem to get away with it.  There are a lot of cutscenes in MGS4 but there is also plenty of gameplay to back it up.

What cutscenes in JRPG's are you seeing that are lasting more than half an hour on multiple occasions?  Cause I sure haven't seen any more than a few minutes.  I will admit that summoning some espers for the 10000th time in some of the FF's did get annoying...

There is only 1 cutscene in MGS4 that lasts more than 15 minutes..

mM
HappySqurriel said:
darthdevidem01 said:
HappySqurriel said:

Although it is rare for me to agree with Cliffy B. I do agree with him here (although he said it in a kind of douche bag way) ... The fact is that the way Metal Gear Solid tells its story is inflexable and passive, and is (potentially) outdated when you compare it with other games like Half-Life or Bioshock.

Have you played MGS4?? I don't think so

{throws squirells & pumpkins @ happysquirel}

Not yet ... Played 1, 2 and 3 though and I'm planning on borrowing a PS3 to try out 4.

From what I understand, Metal Gear Solid 4 continues with the standard Metal Gear Solid formula of play for a little while and then watch a movie to get the story; this was a cutting edge storytelling technique when the Sega CD was released.

I have played and finished MGS4 and while I enjoyed it I do agree. In a video game I expect to be more invovled with the story and have more interaction then MGS allows. While this style appeals to many, to me it feels like I am watching something I should be far more invovled in.

I try to be reasonable at all times, offer the same back please.

Proud owner of all next gen consoles.

"We do it for the Glory"

darconi said:
Riachu said:
Soriku said:
fazz said:

People are critizing MGS for having a lot of cutscenes while JRPGs seem to get away with it. There are a lot of cutscenes in MGS4 but there is also plenty of gameplay to back it up.

What cutscenes in JRPG's are you seeing that are lasting more than half an hour on multiple occasions? Cause I sure haven't seen any more than a few minutes. I will admit that summoning some espers for the 10000th time in some of the FF's did get annoying...

Xenosaga, Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts II, Star Ocean 3

I am not saying I hate cutscenes though. I don't actually

sc94597 said:
Wow that is pretty sad imo. First of all its fine if he wants a very action based game, but that doesn't mean that because they are developing an action based game passive games are on their way out. Also how is MGS4 passive? Do passive people play with guns? Participate in wars? If the rest of the industry had his mentality I would probably quit gaming. The only games I would play are old games that don't need blood pouring from the sky after you kill somebody to have fun.

By passive he means spends large amount of times on cutscenes.

The guy is a known jerk.  He and Jaffe or whatever his name is always seem to try and outdo the other in douchebaggery.

Passive entertainment?Last time I checked,MGS4 has plenty of gameplay and variety to keep players drawn into the gameplay aspect,be it new players or old players--that,coupled with cutscenes that flesh out an engrossing story.It's not passive entertainment,and it's not on its way out.Jrpgs are still enjoyed today for the very same reasons;cinematics and gameplay.Fake b-boys shouldn't talk about games,when they clearly show no intrest in advancing the medium.Gears of War brings nothing new to the table.