By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It begins the creator of GEARS OF WAR calls MGS4 " passive entertainment"

Cliff Bleszinski, lead game designer of Gears of War 2, cites Metal Gear Solid as the kind of game Epic doesn’t want to make. What were his exact words? Read on to find out.
In a recent interview with IGN, CliffyB was quoted in saying the following:

“Metal Gear Solid is our example of the game we’re not doing. Passive entertainment is on its way out.”

The story itself is just IGN’s preview of Gears multiplayer, which is interesting, but CliffyB’s quote kinda came out of nowhere. Am I sensationalizing this, or did CliffyB just totally dis Metal Gear Solid?

mM
Around the Network

{readies very long & insulting Cliffy B + GEOW post}

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

If Passive means slow pace, I kind of agree.
That is why it is a Tactical Espionage Action game.

He's just garnering publicity and public attention with these comments, keeping himself and Epic in the news. Nothing new really... No point in getting up in arms, by bringing this up you're doing what he wants

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

It's nice he feels that way, but we don't need all the FPS games to be the same...

Around the Network
DonWii said:
If Passive means slow pace, I kind of agree.
That is why it is a Tactical Espionage Action game.

It doesnt mean slow pace, he isnt talking about the gameplay.

mM

Yeah, because sitting on your couch with a controller, and moving only your fingers is not passive at all.

fazz said:
Yeah, because sitting on your couch with a controller, and moving only your fingers is not passive at all.

Winner.

Wow that is pretty sad imo. First of all its fine if he wants a very action based game, but that doesn't mean that because they are developing an action based game passive games are on their way out. Also how is MGS4 passive? Do passive people play with guns? Participate in wars? If the rest of the industry had his mentality I would probably quit gaming. The only games I would play are old games that don't need blood pouring from the sky after you kill somebody to have fun.

Coming from an employee of EPIC games......seems like he's working for the wrong company.