By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Solid 4

lol, funny as always

That's how he does it.

Around the Network

although i haven't played MSG4 nor ever will i'll say that his criticism of the cutscenes was a very valid point. There is a noticeable progression of the use of cutscenes over the series' life time which[ like yhatzee mention] makes u wonder does Mr. Kojima prefer making movies or games. In MGS there were some cutscenes, but it was offset by healthy gobs of gameplay. In MGS2 there was a noticable increase the prologue was about 15 mins!
I some what enjoyed MGS but after that MGS2 turned me off to the series' as it confused the hell outta me with the dialogue and that half hour ending, the only thing i can remember was just hearing words.

disolitude said:
Lol, funny but pretty valid review.

I agree with him about gameplay being very unbalanced and flawed (why would anyone go stealth if I can buy infinite RPG's from Drebin after an hour), not to mention there is not nearly enough of it.

I dont agree about his story writing point however. The story in MGS4 is still pretty good. As far as videogames go, Kojima is good writer. Ofcourse he is no Scorsese but who is in the videogame world?

But I'd definetly say play MGS1 2 and 3 before this.

B/c it's more challenging, engaging, and satisfying to be stealthy. Some people have an ounce of restraint and discipline such that they can play the game the way they want to play it, rather than have the game itself over-bearingly direct every decision the player makes.

OT: Yahtzee is as good as ever.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

good job

His reviews are comic relief, however, he was telling the truth about one thing. There isn't much stealth/sneaking in the game. Once you get the tranquilizer gun. It's smooth sailing.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Around the Network
Garcian Smith said:
kn said:
That's about what I expected. Just out of curiosity, has he actually reviewed anything positively? I've listened to about a dozen or so of his reviews and they all have been rather similar.

Portal, CoD4, and Super Mario Galaxy, off the top of my head. I'm sure there's been more.

He also liked Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door on the GameCube, which he mentioned several times in his horrible review of Super Paper Mario on the Wii.  And he liked Psychonauts, and Half-Life 1 and 2, but thought the expansions were a joke, but still fun if you're into the series, because Valve's still doing what they do best.

This is the reason that I consider MGS4 a niche game, in a sense. Sales have nothing to do with it. Watch the review, and understand where I'm coming from when I claim the series is niche, and despite monumental sales, it sold largely to pre-existing fans of the series, or off hype, and those who bought it based off hype probably didn't like it as much as they convinced themselves they did. This game is not universally appealing, and in fact, appeals only to one particular group of gamers, those who have played MGS1 and 3.

That said, I think the game is amazing, as a long term fan of the series, and though the dialogue isn't movie-level, it certainly isn't badly written, perhaps just poorly edited.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

jman8 said:
disolitude said:

I agree with him about gameplay being very unbalanced and flawed (why would anyone go stealth if I can buy infinite RPG's from Drebin after an hour), not to mention there is not nearly enough of it.

I dont agree about his story writing point however. The story in MGS4 is still pretty good. As far as videogames go, Kojima is good writer. Ofcourse he is no Scorsese but who is in the videogame world?

That's why the game is so great, because there are so many different ways it can be played

Here's the link to the official Zero Punctuation Thread.

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=16617&start=150

Munkeh111 said:
jman8 said:
disolitude said:

That's why the game is so great, because there are so many different ways it can be played

A lot of people are saying this...and this is fine. But in my mind, the only reason why one should play the game is to beat it. And the only reason one should go stealthy is because its the best strategy or impossible to do otherwise. All this options thing doesn't work for me...I need to be forced to go stealth (like in splinter cell where you fail a mission when detected) On the beginning its really cool as you are naked and have no weapons...i loved that par.

But as soon as you get the eyepatch, its superman Snake Versus unsuspecting soldiers.