By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Solid 4

ZenfoldorVGI said:

This is the reason that I consider MGS4 a niche game, in a sense. Sales have nothing to do with it. Watch the review, and understand where I'm coming from when I claim the series is niche, and despite monumental sales, it sold largely to pre-existing fans of the series, or off hype, and those who bought it based off hype probably didn't like it as much as they convinced themselves they did. This game is not universally appealing, and in fact, appeals only to one particular group of gamers, those who have played MGS1 and 3.

That said, I think the game is amazing, as a long term fan of the series, and though the dialogue isn't movie-level, it certainly isn't badly written, perhaps just poorly edited.

You failed to mention MGS2. Coincidence or Conspiracy?

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Munkeh111 said:
jman8 said:
disolitude said:
Lol, funny but pretty valid review.

I agree with him about gameplay being very unbalanced and flawed (why would anyone go stealth if I can buy infinite RPG's from Drebin after an hour), not to mention there is not nearly enough of it.

I dont agree about his story writing point however. The story in MGS4 is still pretty good. As far as videogames go, Kojima is good writer. Ofcourse he is no Scorsese but who is in the videogame world?

But I'd definetly say play MGS1 2 and 3 before this.

That's why the game is so great, because there are so many different ways it can be played

A lot of people are saying this...and this is fine. But in my mind, the only reason why one should play the game is to beat it. And the only reason one should go stealthy is because its the best strategy or impossible to do otherwise. All this options thing doesn't work for me...I need to be forced to go stealth (like in splinter cell where you fail a mission when detected) On the beginning its really cool as you are naked and have no weapons...i loved that par.

But as soon as you get the eyepatch, its superman Snake Versus unsuspecting soldiers.

Why play Ninja Gaiden on normal rather than easy?  Or Halo 3 on Legendary rather than easy?

At least beating MGS4 on Big Boss Extreme with no alerts/no kills/no continues/no special items/no healing items in under 5 hours unlocks something other than an e-penis.

Absolutely hilarious review. Loved the part where he mocks the characters for taking years to work out something the audience already knows.

Otacon: metal gear
Snake: metal gear?
Otacon: metal gear
Snake: bugger me!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Garcian Smith said:
kn said:
That's about what I expected. Just out of curiosity, has he actually reviewed anything positively? I've listened to about a dozen or so of his reviews and they all have been rather similar.

Portal, CoD4, and Super Mario Galaxy, off the top of my head. I'm sure there's been more.

He also liked Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door on the GameCube, which he mentioned several times in his horrible review of Super Paper Mario on the Wii.  And he liked Psychonauts, and Half-Life 1 and 2, but thought the expansions were a joke, but still fun if you're into the series, because Valve's still doing what they do best.

He liked Crysis too, still he is right "play it if you love the previous ones, if not, well playe it at your own risk..."

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

This guy can be very funny, but he can also be an idiot. It's painfully obvious that he can't be bothered with a somewhat complex story. I mean if you don't know what a pmc is, you're not trying. Although it is convoluted at points, it's really not that difficult. Yes, you do not really have to sneak (although I feel it helps a lot), but Kojima gave the player the choice and this guy immediately chooses shooting everyone. I found that stealth makes things go more smoothly. I thought the gameplay was amazing, pretty much flawless really. Same criticisms thrown at every MGS, nothing new.

But this guy makes these for shock value more than respectability, so it's no big deal, lol.

Around the Network

Very funny. I'm playing and enjoying it right now - but very good review and fair points too.

Oh and for those asking he really liked Painkiller and ORange Box and mainly liked COD4 and Mario... as in he didn't bash them totally

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
Very funny. I'm playing and enjoying it right now - but very good review and fair points too.

Oh and for those asking he really liked Painkiller and ORange Box and mainly liked COD4 and Mario... as in he didn't bash them totally

Pain Killer was the game I was just thinking of when I saw the "what games did he like" posts.  Although, he didn't really like the game itself so much as the fact that it has a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning... which is what most of the review was about. 

Words Of Wisdom said:
Reasonable said:

Pain Killer was the game I was just thinking of when I saw the "what games did he like" posts.  Although, he didn't really like the game itself so much as the fact that it has a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning... which is what most of the review was about. 

I liked Painkiller for exactly the same reasons he did.  The weapons were awesome and it was a simple "kill everything in sight" shooter with great level design and atmosphere.

I give that post a 9.5.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Ok, if the majority of you agree about his points in knocking the game, how did it get almost a universal 10/10?

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

DTG said:

I LOL'd when he crtisized the bad writing. It's sad that people who simply don't understand the plot try blaming the writing for that. Professional translator, editor and an all round genius writer James Howell himself proclaimed that MGS2 changed his life. Of course I don't expect that same intellectual prowess from someone who makes a video like that.

I know you're a big MGS fan, but do you seriously believe MGS2 (or any MGS game) has good writing?! I bet it wouldn't even be in the top 100 of best writing in videogames.

If you truly want to see great writing, then go check games like Curse of the Monkey Island, NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer, Planescape: Torment, The Longest Journey, Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Warcraft 3.