By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Solid 4

kn said:
Ok, if the majority of you agree about his points in knocking the game, how did it get almost a universal 10/10?

because we're not professional reviewers.

Around the Network
shio said:
kn said:
Ok, if the majority of you agree about his points in knocking the game, how did it get almost a universal 10/10?

because we're not professional reviewers.

Considering reviewer integrity at this point, being called a professional reviewer is an insult. 

kn said:

Because professional reviewers are just joke sham fanboys who don't know shit and aren't taken seriously or trusted and they get paid way too much and are never consistent and don't have good criteria for reviewing any genre on its alone, let alone comparing games of different genres.

disolitude said:
Lol, funny but pretty valid review.

I agree with him about gameplay being very unbalanced and flawed (why would anyone go stealth if I can buy infinite RPG's from Drebin after an hour), not to mention there is not nearly enough of it.

I dont agree about his story writing point however. The story in MGS4 is still pretty good. As far as videogames go, Kojima is good writer. Ofcourse he is no Scorsese but who is in the videogame world?

But I'd definetly say play MGS1 2 and 3 before this.

Suda 51. Seriously. Play Killer 7... that shows you the right way to tell a really complex philosophical story.

Saying a story is good "for a videogame" is a cop out if you ask me. Either the story stands up to good stories in other mediums or it doesn't.

When "great videogame storytelling" = "rejected TV movie plot" people shouldn't cut games slack.

It's like everyone says about the game. 

If your not a fan of this very specific niche of a genre of which basically only MGS is.  Interactive movie more then game.... you aren't going to like it... and if you are... you will like it.

Since review sites tend to get people who like said games to review said games... it's obvious why it got good scores.  It's being reviewed largely by metal gear solid fans.

Let any game be rated by it's fans and it's going to have quite the high score.

Kasz216 said:
disolitude said:
Lol, funny but pretty valid review.

I agree with him about gameplay being very unbalanced and flawed (why would anyone go stealth if I can buy infinite RPG's from Drebin after an hour), not to mention there is not nearly enough of it.

I dont agree about his story writing point however. The story in MGS4 is still pretty good. As far as videogames go, Kojima is good writer. Ofcourse he is no Scorsese but who is in the videogame world?

But I'd definetly say play MGS1 2 and 3 before this.

Suda 51.  Seriously.  Play Killer 7... that shows you the right way to tell a really complex philosophical story.

Or Planescape: Torment.

Around the Network
kn said:

Because people have different views?  I thought the game was awesome.  Obviously, some people disagree with me.  That doesn't make my opinion any less valid than others.  And it hasn't gotten universal 10s.  I don't even know if it's in the top 10 on gamerankings and metacritic.  I'm pretty sure it's ranked below Super Mario Galaxy though, and I didn't really like Super Mario Galaxy.  So obviously everyone is conspiring to rank Super Mario Galaxy higher than MGS4 because only my opinion matters and my opinion is right!!!  ZOMG, TIN FOIL HATS FOR ALL!!!

LOL I hate to say it but he convinced me of not buying the game. Unlike all the big reviewers who are readily distracted by presentation, hype etc. he is always pretty much spot on with his analysis.

Brawl sucks, its idotic and boring. JRPGs are the gaming aequivalent of a barbiturate. Uncharted was a big cliche (which didn't stop it from being good but I agree with him on that) and no game should have 1/3 cutscenes so I was pretty sure myself that MGS4 is no good game. Too bad but I have enough to play anyway.

bobobologna said:
kn said:

Because people have different views? I thought the game was awesome. Obviously, some people disagree with me. That doesn't make my opinion any less valid than others. And it hasn't gotten universal 10s. I don't even know if it's in the top 10 on gamerankings and metacritic. I'm pretty sure it's ranked below Super Mario Galaxy though, and I didn't really like Super Mario Galaxy. So obviously everyone is conspiring to rank Super Mario Galaxy higher than MGS4 because only my opinion matters and my opinion is right!!! ZOMG, TIN FOIL HATS FOR ALL!!!

MGS4 is ranked 63rd on Gamerankings.

It's not even the best ranked PS3 game.

It's not even the best ranked MGS game. (Or the second best... it's third.)

The points Yahtzee makes are almost always valid, and I almost always agree with him. If you cannot find anything to hate in a game, you're most often blocking it out.

Best thing about his reviews though, he doesn't give out scores. With reviews such as his, scores are a bad thing.

This review confirms what I already thought, this game is not really for me.

This is invisible text!

another amazing video.