By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - KH3 outselling FFXIII?

^ohh snap

Around the Network

Soriku....do you think that alot more people will buy KH3 than bought KH2, even though it's a continuation of the same story?

Many people seem to think that user base is the most important factor in how well a game cells, but for an established franchise I would argue that fanbase is the most important factor.

Torillian said:
Soriku....do you think that alot more people will buy KH3 than bought KH2, even though it's a continuation of the same story?

Many people seem to think that user base is the most important factor in how well a game cells, but for an established franchise I would argue that fanbase is the most important factor.

We could say the same thing for FF XIII to FF XII, but people would argue that the first of a system always sell the most, which could be true, but the same rule should apply to KH3.

How exactly can you argue that XIII will be the continuation of the story from XII?

Torillian said:
How exactly can you argue that XIII will be the continuation of the story from XII?

What? I thought we were talking about  the fanbase. I'm pretty sure a considerable amount of the fanbase of FF XII is the same one for XIII.

Around the Network

But I am saying that the fact that KH has a coherent storyline throughout the entire franchise could make it less accessible for new people coming in on the third installment. I'd have to look to see if there have been any story driven games that sold more on a later part of the series.

Torillian said:
But I am saying that the fact that KH has a coherent storyline throughout the entire franchise could make it less accessible for new people coming in on the third installment. I'd have to look to see if there have been any story driven games that sold more on a later part of the series.

Well like soriku said, most people could just play the ps2 games before the release of KH3. Also alot of people don't care if they are missing out on the story. Children for example, they wouldn't really care what is happening. I would say a great amount of children would get the game just becaue of the disney characters, or their parents would buy it for them.

Soriku said:
Torillian said:

How do you know most of thr fanbase isn't on the Wii right now? There's no evidence to support the theory that all (or most) PS2 owners have bought a PS3. Anyway, if they were REALLY fasn of KH they would buy the system it's on ANYWAY. If they don't, that's console loyalty not game loyalty. Either way, people who didn't own a PS2 could easily buy KH3 and be new to the series. That's one more person added to the fanbase.

But your argument is that KH3 will sell alot better on the Wii because of the larger user base.  I'm just not sure it would have as big of an effect as you think.  An established franchise is mainly going on its fanbase, and you're absolutely right that those fans would buy whatever consule the game is on, I'm just not sure that the game would see millions more sales simply by being on the larger userbase of the Wii.

Torillian said:

Finally someone points out that the only common threads that FFs have with each other are quality, chocobos(since EDIT 2) , moogles (since EDIT 3), crystal/orbs meaning it is not a tired franchise, just a name that gets used over and over.

Why is this important? Because anyone can pick up a FF game at any release and not have to worry about catching up with the story line, unlike KH.

EDIT: Add Airships, certain monsters, and character classes to the list.

Not happening. KH isn't as popular as the gaming geeks would like you to believe.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler