By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I just beat majora's mask again and realized how depressing the game is.

Buying a second N64 and MM is propably cheaper.. I ain't selling my copy of the collector's Edition!! :)

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
wfz said:

Hahah yeah, the game is really psychologically messed up. Did you catch the whole deal with the Deku Scrub? That one is a little more hidden, and pretty damn sad. =P The whole atmosphere in that game is so dark and gloomy, and it has plenty of human drama as well. It's really amazing. Everyone's reactions in that game feel so real and depressing at the same time, the world really comes to life.

It's my favorite game of all time.

Um no I didn't catch it.

Well...it looses a lot of it's impact if I explain it, as experiencing it yourself is so much better, but here I'll explain. =P

You know in the beginning how you get turned into a Deku Scrub? Well in that beginning dungeon, you come across a "strange looking tree" and your fairy comments on how sad it looks, like it's about to break into tears. Later on when you finish the Poison Swamp Temple and head back to the Deku Palace, you know how you have to race the Butler to get the Pig Mask (mask of scents I believe)? Well after you race him to the end, he talks about how he used to race his son a lot, and that now that his son isn't at home he really misses him, and you remind him of his son because you look so much like him.

So it turns out that the "sad looking tree" really used to be a Deku Scrub, but the Skull Kid sapped his life and made him into a tree, and then right after that,  gave the Deku Scrub's life and put it in you, turning you into the Deku Scrub.

Also in the ending credits, one of the very last scenes (perhaps the second to last?) shows that "sad looking tree" again. Unlike everyone else in the game who have all been saved, it's still there. Not all stories end all happy for everyone...

Also if you notice, it's impossible to do all of the sidequests in one runthrough of time, meaning that no matter how hard you try, you can never help/save everyone. Such is the way life is.

The game really gets deep if you allow yourself to get immersed in it and you really explore everything that's going on. Quite a phillisophical game really. =P

Even though I think OoT is a better game because of level design and game play, I liked MM better because of its style and dark mood.

wfz said:
sc94597 said:
wfz said:

Hahah yeah, the game is really psychologically messed up. Did you catch the whole deal with the Deku Scrub? That one is a little more hidden, and pretty damn sad. =P The whole atmosphere in that game is so dark and gloomy, and it has plenty of human drama as well. It's really amazing. Everyone's reactions in that game feel so real and depressing at the same time, the world really comes to life.

It's my favorite game of all time.

Um no I didn't catch it.

Well...it looses a lot of it's impact if I explain it, as experiencing it yourself is so much better, but here I'll explain. =P

You know in the beginning how you get turned into a Deku Scrub? Well in that beginning dungeon, you come across a "strange looking tree" and your fairy comments on how sad it looks, like it's about to break into tears. Later on when you finish the Poison Swamp Temple and head back to the Deku Palace, you know how you have to race the Butler to get the Pig Mask (mask of scents I believe)? Well after you race him to the end, he talks about how he used to race his son a lot, and that now that his son isn't at home he really misses him, and you remind him of his son because you look so much like him.

So it turns out that the "sad looking tree" really used to be a Deku Scrub, but the Skull Kid sapped his life and made him into a tree, and then right after that,  gave the Deku Scrub's life and put it in you, turning you into the Deku Scrub.

Also in the ending credits, one of the very last scenes (perhaps the second to last?) shows that "sad looking tree" again. Unlike everyone else in the game who have all been saved, it's still there. Not all stories end all happy for everyone...

Also if you notice, it's impossible to do all of the sidequests in one runthrough of time, meaning that no matter how hard you try, you can never help/save everyone. Such is the way life is.

The game really gets deep if you allow yourself to get immersed in it and you really explore everything that's going on. Quite a phillisophical game really. =P

Wow that is really depressing. This game sets alot of emotion. I really wish the next zelda has the same impact.

lol I never thought I'd meet someone who also prefers this game over OoT

Majora's Mask owns. I mean, the music, ambiance, and NPC interactions hold no equal; nothing matches it.

The dark tone is what really makes you think about what you're doing. I wanted to save everyone from their respective tragedies. The large amount of side quests also helped.

If there was ever a good depression, this is it.
I think I'm going to play it right now.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is the best Zelda title ever made.

"The Person Who Got the Closest to Winning the 1st VGC VC Giveaway, but still lost"

Around the Network

I have the game for N64, but I can't stand the low resolution and terrible framerate. I want this on Virtual Console, pronto!

Also the town people are so happy while everything else is so depressing. It's a very complex game.

Chrizum said:
I have the game for N64, but I can't stand the low resolution and terrible framerate. I want this on Virtual Console, pronto!

The gamecube version runs in 640 x 480..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

oxford-gamer said:
lol I never thought I'd meet someone who also prefers this game over OoT

Majora's Mask owns. I mean, the music, ambiance, and NPC interactions hold no equal; nothing matches it.

The dark tone is what really makes you think about what you're doing. I wanted to save everyone from their respective tragedies. The large amount of side quests also helped.

If there was ever a good depression, this is it.
I think I'm going to play it right now.

Ever been to the Zelda boards on IGN? Back when I joined years ago, everyone was a OoT fanboy, but over time my few friends and I started talking about MM and people started realizing how amazing it was. It got to the point that almost everyone there was a MM fanboy, and if anyone ever said anything bad about the game, they'd be slapped hard by board regulars. =P I don't know if it's still like that, since I haven't posted much recently, but there was a time when MM reigned king. We used to have amazing discussions over that game..

NiKKoM said:
Chrizum said:

The gamecube version runs in 640 x 480..

I know, but the GameCube version also has an even worse framerate, sound glitches and game freezes. Nintendo just needs to bring it to the Virtual Console, though I doubt they ever will.