By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I just beat majora's mask again and realized how depressing the game is.

VonShigsy said:
lolita said:
I think he was turned back into a man... Because if he wasn't the camera would have been much lower. Remember in the room when they reunite Anju gets on her knees? Also I guess the reason they didn't show Kafei is that they didn't had an adult character model (this game was rushed) or they kept it for people to guess.
Yes i've heard this arguement, but still, if Deku scrub, Mikau and Darmani 's fates are unchanged at the end of the game, Majora's mask magic has permanent effects. I like to think that Kafei stays in his childish form, thus making Anzu's commitment to him stronger and shows us that happiness can sprout even from tragic events. Makes the game's theme even more powerful.

Lies! Admit it, you have an older woman fetish.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network

Not my favorite of the Zelda games, but definitely worlds above OoT. The connection you make with the townspeople and the over tone of the game really set this one apart from the other Zeldas. Plus, as stupid as this sounds, I thought it was awesome how link now had a strap to keep his sword and shield on his back instead of having them just floating there.

CIHYFS?

ItsaMii said:
VonShigsy said:
lolita said:
I think he was turned back into a man... Because if he wasn't the camera would have been much lower. Remember in the room when they reunite Anju gets on her knees? Also I guess the reason they didn't show Kafei is that they didn't had an adult character model (this game was rushed) or they kept it for people to guess.
Yes i've heard this arguement, but still, if Deku scrub, Mikau and Darmani 's fates are unchanged at the end of the game, Majora's mask magic has permanent effects. I like to think that Kafei stays in his childish form, thus making Anzu's commitment to him stronger and shows us that happiness can sprout even from tragic events. Makes the game's theme even more powerful.

Lies! Admit it, you have an older woman fetish.

OMG ANJU IS A MILF LOL.
Nah, i'm 28. Thinking older women was fine as a teen, but at my age, i prefer my imagination much more..firm.

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

No game since MM has had the same emotional impact, it was truly an amazing game.

Wow somebody made an amazing remix of the Stone Temple song.

Around the Network

The only zelda game I haven't played after OoT

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

sc94597 said:
wfz said:
sc94597 said:
wfz said:

Hahah yeah, the game is really psychologically messed up. Did you catch the whole deal with the Deku Scrub? That one is a little more hidden, and pretty damn sad. =P The whole atmosphere in that game is so dark and gloomy, and it has plenty of human drama as well. It's really amazing. Everyone's reactions in that game feel so real and depressing at the same time, the world really comes to life.

It's my favorite game of all time.

Um no I didn't catch it.

Well...it looses a lot of it's impact if I explain it, as experiencing it yourself is so much better, but here I'll explain. =P

You know in the beginning how you get turned into a Deku Scrub? Well in that beginning dungeon, you come across a "strange looking tree" and your fairy comments on how sad it looks, like it's about to break into tears. Later on when you finish the Poison Swamp Temple and head back to the Deku Palace, you know how you have to race the Butler to get the Pig Mask (mask of scents I believe)? Well after you race him to the end, he talks about how he used to race his son a lot, and that now that his son isn't at home he really misses him, and you remind him of his son because you look so much like him.

So it turns out that the "sad looking tree" really used to be a Deku Scrub, but the Skull Kid sapped his life and made him into a tree, and then right after that, gave the Deku Scrub's life and put it in you, turning you into the Deku Scrub.

Also in the ending credits, one of the very last scenes (perhaps the second to last?) shows that "sad looking tree" again. Unlike everyone else in the game who have all been saved, it's still there. Not all stories end all happy for everyone...

Also if you notice, it's impossible to do all of the sidequests in one runthrough of time, meaning that no matter how hard you try, you can never help/save everyone. Such is the way life is.

The game really gets deep if you allow yourself to get immersed in it and you really explore everything that's going on. Quite a phillisophical game really. =P

Wow that is really depressing. This game sets alot of emotion. I really wish the next zelda has the same impact.

wfz forgot to mention, in that scene during the ending, the Deku butler is actually there crying, mourning the loss of his son. 

In order for Link to don a transformation mask, someone has to die.  Which begs the question... who died for him to become OniLink?

Kenology said:

wfz forgot to mention, in that scene during the ending, the Deku butler is actually there crying, mourning the loss of his son. 

In order for Link to don a transformation mask, someone has to die.  Which begs the question... who died for him to become OniLink?

How knows, but probably it was the spirit (Angry spirit due to the visions) of the Deku buttler's son...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
sc94597 said:

Wow somebody made an amazing remix of the Stone Temple song.

This was the best dungeon theme in the game. It's also one of the reasons why Koji Kondo is such a legend. One has to listen closely to really appreciate the nuances of this composition. If I had heard this song outside of the game first, I wouldn't have ever guessed it was used a dungeon theme, but as such, it's very effective.

-SPOILERS-

You notice that, when Rockvale is rightside-up, the music features a male chorus. When the dungeon is flipped upside-down, the male chrous is changed to a female chorus, the beat is totally reversed but has the exact same timing, and the instrumentation is slightly different - the main melody is on a harpsicord and punji instead of an ocarina and oboe. Some sound effects were added, like that "flickering" sound that travels between the left and right channels, to give it more of a mystical and surreal effect. It's brilliant.

Oh, and Rockvale/Stone Tower Temple was the best designed dungeon EVER.

The song is amazing, and so is the dungeon.