By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
akuma587 said:

First of all, comparing the two is kind of futile as many have mentioned since the games are so different and spaced apart so far temporally, but I will go ahead and give my answer.

MGS4:

MGS4 will have a greater affect on gaming history. OoT was pretty influential in terms of 3D Action/Adventure/RPG (I noticed this today playing Okami), but MGS4 trumps Ocarina in terms of storytelling and technical prowess. An over the shoulder the game really never felt so good and gave you so many options, including Gears of War and Resident Evil 4. I am in now way demeaning those games, but MGS4 definitely takes things a step further.

The fact that you can play through the game in so many different ways is simply incredible. I choose the stealth approach, but the action approach is equally viable. And blending the two works together perfectly.

Both are extremely important, but I think MGS4 edges out OoT in importance, and I have played OoT several times. OoT is epic, but MGS4 is legendary.

It seems like you are talking about how influential and important each game is to its respective generation, yet you are comparing on how much better certain aspects of MGS4 over OoT. Your comparison is valid, but not if it's being put together with your main point, especially since you rarely mention anything that OoT did except a brief statement that "OoT was pretty influential in terms of 3D Action/Adventure/RPG."

However, if you ignore the year difference between the two, I would say that most likely MGS4 is going to win. A game is built on what has previously been done, after all, and OoT had to do something back then that might just be considered as the norm in present day.

And it should be obvious from my post that I haven't played either one of them.

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

Around the Network

Sorry, Ocarina of Time is the greatest, but I think Metal Gear Solid 4 is still a masterpiece.

a.l.e.x00 said:
Sorry, Ocarina of Time is the greatest, but I think Metal Gear Solid 4 is still a masterpiece.

Btw, the painting on your avatar is of Snake, right?

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

vdoesntforgive said:
Like I said, apples and oranges.

And if a game is well made, story has jack shit to do with anything. Many consider SotC in their top 3 of the last generation with minimal story telling. But if that's your argument, Mario 3 has a story, compare it to Metal gear 4 for me.

Why the fuck will people be hailing mgs4's story telling and narrative in ten years time? Surely you as a gamer will find the merits within the game itself? All you've done is call me an idiot and an ass, and I was kind enough to give you the only kind of comparison I was capable of giving.

Well fuck you, good sir. Enjoy your thread. (:

first of all i didnt call you an idiot. i said DONT be an idiot, because i know youre not. i called you an ass because you were being an ass.. for what seemed like no reason.. but i would never go as far to tell you to go fuck yourself, so thats on you.

as for mario 3's story.. it gets trumped in every way by metal gear solid 4. but that wasnt what i was asking. see, if i posted that question, i could see why people would be getting irritated, because there really is no competition, everybody would agree that mario's storyline cant compare to metal gear's. if you read the entire thread, you will see that some people pick OoT, some people pick MGS4. i feel as if im posting a legitimate question because both of these games are the types of epic games that developers aspire to make to define a generation. and i do appreciate your comparison, i thought it was a good one.. in fact, it is the same way i feel.

I stopped reading at the part where you agree'd with the guy that said OoT didn't do much/anything new. Can you understand why I can't take such ludicrous comments (and as a result, this thread entirely) like that seriously?

Of course mgs4's story and atmosphere trumps all over Mario for the Nes. Like you said, I was being an ass. It's a rediculous comparison because it's a direct comparison, kind of like most people are doing with zelda and mgs. And you just can't do that. Does OoT gameplay holed up better today than MGS4? Even I'm not dumb enough to question that. (MM, however...)

I'm going to give the benefit of a doubt on the whole thing, because hindsight is 20/20, and backlash is a bitch, and not a couple of weeks ago people were actually defending the claim that "GTAIV IS TEH PERFECT!" I'm going to wait a couple of months before I believe this question can be honestly asked.

Around the Network
vdoesntforgive said:

I stopped reading at the part where you agree'd with the guy that said OoT didn't do much/anything new. Can you understand why I can't take such ludicrous comments (and as a result, this thread entirely) like that seriously?

Of course mgs4's story and atmosphere trumps all over Mario for the Nes. Like you said, I was being an ass. It's a rediculous comparison because it's a direct comparison, kind of like most people are doing with zelda and mgs. And you just can't do that. Does OoT gameplay holed up better today than MGS4? Even I'm not dumb enough to question that. (MM, however...)

I'm going to give the benefit of a doubt on the whole thing, because hindsight is 20/20, and backlash is a bitch, and not a couple of weeks ago people were actually defending the claim that "GTAIV IS TEH PERFECT!" I'm going to wait a couple of months before I believe this question can be honestly asked.

OoT did a lot.. but not much new. it just seemed new because it was in 3D. thats why A Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda. Its the one that laid the formula for what i think is the greatest game of all time.

ive already made my case for why zelda and metal gear can be compared, i guess its just not good enough for you. i do agree with you though about the last thing you said. this question probably should have waited another couple months. mgs is just too new. but i think thats the same reason that prompted me to ask it in the first place. i think it has a legitimate chance for dethroning ocarina of time, although i personally dont think it will.

well this is easy, if i play both MGS4 and OoT side by side

MGS4 wins hands down as the greatest over OoT, theres simply no match and i cant belive Oot fans still believe it to be the best

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

OoT will always be remembered as long as it stands on top of all the ratings. MSG4 will eventually be forgotten as 'just another epic game'. That does not essentially mean OoT 'is' better, but it has left a bigger impression.

I drink your milkshake.

Uh.. Can't we just love them both?

Why does every good Non-Nintendo game get compared to OOT? Just wondering out loud. They aren't even of the same genre guys. Why can't the argument be brought up about MGS4 being remembered as the best stealth game ever?

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger