By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
tabsina said:
TheRealMafoo said:
tabsina said:
Well, imho.. given that the comment "MGS4 is the best game this generation" would be a wildly debated one, it's hard to then go one step further to say "is it also the best of the best games of each generation?"

I would debate if OoT was the best game for it's generation as well. I would put Fallout and System Shock 2 above it.

If you want to say best game of all time relative to it's it's generation, It's neither. That goes to either Pac-man, or Tetras.

whisper: smb3

:P

No, not that one. For a game to be "best of all time relative to it's generation", it had to have a huge impact on gaming. I did forget one however that was more impact-full then the two above:

Super Mario Brothers (the first one)

While Pac-Man would be a close second (that really hit main stream culture like no other game), SMB did restart this whole home console thing, so it takes the cake.

Around the Network

They arent in the same gen, but I am going to say this:

In my opinion MGS4 is beyond any game I have ever played in my life, FAR beyond.

Thats all I have to say.

mM

I think Galaxy is better than MGS4, and OoT is just on a whole nother level. MGS4 is the best game on HD systems so far, whether or not it will change will depend on the next 4 years.

FinalEvangelion said:
I think they are both groundbreaking games, so I won't choose. Both are better than GTA4, though.

for sure. i dont even really understand the hype for gta 4. i know its a cool game, but people made it out to be like it is going to be one of those games that has a chance at dethroning ocarina of time. i think metal gear solid has a better chance.

leo-j said:

In my opinion MGS4 is beyond any game I have ever played in my life, FAR beyond.

Thats all I have to say.

I agree. But System Shock 2 was far beyond anything I had ever played when I played it. In 10 years you will have played a game again that you can say is far beyond anything you have ever played.

That's the reason for the "generation" thing :p

Around the Network
leo-j said:

Thats all I have to say.

well that is to be expected from a next gen game. people were saying the same thing about ocarina of time ten years ago. which did a better job of this though?

ph4nt said:
I think Galaxy is better than MGS4

Everyone can have there own opinion, but yours is far from the average. Most everyone would put MGS4 light years ahead of SMG.

TheRealMafoo said:
leo-j said:

Thats all I have to say.

I agree. But System Shock 2 was far beyond anything I had ever played when I played it. In 10 years you will have played a game again that you can say is far beyond anything you have ever played.

That's the reason for the "generation" thing :p

system shock 2 is a pc game though.. its kind of an unfair battle. you would expect a pc game to exceed any given console game of the same generation. so i dont really include them when im talking about consoles and the like.

angrypoolman said:
leo-j said:

Thats all I have to say.

well that is to be expected from a next gen game. people were saying the same thing about ocarina of time ten years ago. which did a better job of this though?

Of those two games, I would have to say MGS. When OoT came out, it did nothing that was not done before it. It even did most of it at less then the best out there. What it did so well was put all the elements in one game, and do a very good job of all of them.

While this made for a great game, it did not make me feel like it advanced gaming in any way, it was just a great game.

MGS4 is like playing nothing that has ever come before it. Aside from Crysis on high, no visuals out perform it. No game has ever connived a story in such a dramatic fashion. Not only that, but the game Mechanics are second to none.

That being said, I still don't think MGS4 is the best game of all time relative to its generation (That's probably SMB). I do think it's better at it then OoT.

TheRealMafoo said:
angrypoolman said:
leo-j said:

Thats all I have to say.

Of those two games, I would have to say MGS. When OoT came out, it did nothing that was not done before it. It even did most of it at less then the best out there. What it did so well was put all the elements in one game, and do a very good job of all of them.

While this made for a great game, it did not make me feel like it advanced gaming in any way, it was just a great game.

MGS4 is like playing nothing that has ever come before it. Aside from Crysis on high, no visuals out perform it. No game has ever connived a story in such a dramatic fashion. Not only that, but the game Mechanics are second to none.

That being said, I still don't think MGS4 is the best game of all time relative to its generation (That's probably SMB). I do think it's better at it then OoT.

interesting take.

i do agree that ocarina of time didnt do much new but perfected everything. i always called it a link to the past in 3d. one thing that ocarina of time did that was new that sticks out in my mind was the z targeting and the battle mehcanics that went along with that. i dont THINK that has ever been done before, or anything like that, correct me if im wrong. i havent played MGS4 yet, but chances are that im going to favor OoT a bit more just because i am a huge zelda fan. MGS seems a bit like a movie more than a game, but hey, that is a new kind of epicness that the industry may need.