By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
vdoesntforgive said:

Well for starters, you put the very first basic reason into why this thread shouldn't been made in your OP.

Comparisons just CANNOT be drawn. Their aims are two completely different things. TEN YEARS APART! What kind of gratification will you be getting knowing that this user thinks that game X stands up well against game Y that proceeded it by two generations.

My opinion on the matter, if MGS was ever going to define genres and be hailed as the greatest of it's time, it would've done it potentially with MGS3, because beyond that (And I hope people can be honest enough to agree on this), the GAMEPLAY hasn't changed much at all since then. OoT on the other was AND IS the game that developers aspire to create great adventure games from. You've heard it from Capcom, you're heard it from Team Ico, you probably still hear it from loads of smaller devs. I just don't see developers right now looking at MGS4, and saying "Ok, this is what we need to do."

I FUCKING LOVE MGS4, so don't get me wrong (I can't stress this enough), but I think too many people are buying into all this horrible hype, and are just bandwagoning the thought of comparing it to the Game of the Forever to see what kind of reactions they can get. Why can't people just see MGS4 for it really is. A truely epic end to one of the best franchises of the last three generations.

bolded: with that kind of logic, why do we even post here at all?

in any case, i think its a great comparison. OoT was regarded as game of the generation and i think a lot of people think mgs4 may be the game of the generation. i just want to see what people here on vg chartz think about the two. if MGS4 did more for them now this generation than OoT did for them when it was released in 1998. you just sound bitter.

Around the Network
vdoesntforgive said:
Ok, I just reads some of the thread...

OoT did nothing new?

Just realised you guys are crazy. I'm outta here.

it followed the same formula created by A Link to the Past. i dont want to use the phrase 'all it did,' but yea, pretty much all it did was expand on ideas presented in the classic super nintendo game. regardless, i will let my opinion be known.. ocarina of time is probably the greatest video game ever created. this of course, is just my opinion however.

First of all, comparing the two is kind of futile as many have mentioned since the games are so different and spaced apart so far temporally, but I will go ahead and give my answer.

MGS4:

MGS4 will have a greater affect on gaming history. OoT was pretty influential in terms of 3D Action/Adventure/RPG (I noticed this today playing Okami), but MGS4 trumps Ocarina in terms of storytelling and technical prowess. An over the shoulder the game really never felt so good and gave you so many options, including Gears of War and Resident Evil 4. I am in now way demeaning those games, but MGS4 definitely takes things a step further.

The fact that you can play through the game in so many different ways is simply incredible. I choose the stealth approach, but the action approach is equally viable. And blending the two works together perfectly.

Both are extremely important, but I think MGS4 edges out OoT in importance, and I have played OoT several times. OoT is epic, but MGS4 is legendary.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Believe me, bitterness has got nothing to do it. They're my two favourite franchises for their respective platforms. It's just irritating seeing the same thread over and over, and when it's all said and done, the conclusion is: "lol apples and oranges", "lol opinions."

People think mgs4 is the game of this gen so far. Cool, I feel the same. a LULZ question for you though, how would you feel if I were to go and make a thread asking "How does mgs4/OoT/SM3 stand up against Pong?"

akuma587 said:

First of all, comparing the two is kind of futile as many have mentioned since the games are so different and spaced apart so far temporally, but I will go ahead and give my answer.

MGS4:

MGS4 will have a greater affect on gaming history. OoT was pretty influential in terms of 3D Action/Adventure/RPG (I noticed this today playing Okami), but MGS4 trumps Ocarina in terms of storytelling and technical prowess. An over the shoulder the game really never felt so good and gave you so many options, including Gears of War and Resident Evil 4. I am in now way demeaning those games, but MGS4 definitely takes things a step further.

The fact that you can play through the game in so many different ways is simply incredible. I choose the stealth approach, but the action approach is equally viable. And blending the two works together perfectly.

Both are extremely important, but I think MGS4 edges out OoT in importance, and I have played OoT several times. OoT is epic, but MGS4 is legendary.

comparing the two isnt futile.. you just did it.

in any case, thanks for giving an answer rather than just being an ass about it.

Around the Network
akuma587 said:

MGS4:

I say it's the other way around: OoT had the greater affect on gaming history

What MGS4 did:
- Went from 3D in MGS3 into cleaner and more polished 3D in MGS4

- Demonstrated how to properly execute a deep and convuluted story (from what I've been told, haven't actually played it yet)

- Added extra polish on the 3rd person shooter perspective

What OoT did:
- One of the earlier games that demonstrated how a series should jump from 2D to 3D

- Made a jump in dimension to 3D from 2D

- Laid foundations for 3D action adventure games (dungeons and puzzle solving in 3D environment)

- One of the earliest if not first uses of a lock on 3D camera

So where as MGS4 refined everything we've done before, OoT at the time brought everything to the next level (thanks mostly to 2D to 3D jump).

vdoesntforgive said:
Believe me, bitterness has got nothing to do it. They're my two favourite franchises for their respective platforms. It's just irritating seeing the same thread over and over, and when it's all said and done, the conclusion is: "lol apples and oranges", "lol opinions."

People think mgs4 is the game of this gen so far. Cool, I feel the same. a LULZ question for you though, how would you feel if I were to go and make a thread asking "How does mgs4/OoT/SM3 stand up against Pong?"

youre bitter because youre irritated.. thats ok with me. you dont have to justify everything.

as for how does metal gear, zelda and mario stand up against pong? you can see the obvious difference here, cant you? dont be an idiot. pong is a very simple game that two people play when theyre bored out of their minds. metal gear and zelda are both games that have an in depth story line that a person can actually get involved in and appreciate. i understand that youre trying to illustrate a point, but you dont have to go on and be an ass about it and make stupid analogies just because youre bitter/irritated.

Hahaha, point taken. Have a good time.

CAL4M1TY said:
akuma587 said:

MGS4:

I say it's the other way around: OoT had the greater affect on gaming history

What MGS4 did:
- Went from 3D in MGS3 into cleaner and more polished 3D in MGS4

- Demonstrated how to properly execute a deep and convuluted story (from what I've been told, haven't actually played it yet)

- Added extra polish on the 3rd person shooter perspective

What OoT did:
- One of the earlier games that demonstrated how a series should jump from 2D to 3D

- Made a jump in dimension to 3D from 2D

- Laid foundations for 3D action adventure games (dungeons and puzzle solving in 3D environment)

- One of the earliest if not first uses of a lock on 3D camera

So where as MGS4 refined everything we've done before, OoT at the time brought everything to the next level (thanks mostly to 2D to 3D jump).

i agree. it could be that OoT had that extra advantage because it came out earlier. it could be that nothing could ever dethrone ocarina of time just because there are no dimensions beyond 3D that we can use in gaming. the only way we can lay the groundwork for something as groundbreaking is if we take gaming to the next level in some way. not by making it high def or increasing the amount of pixels, but by changing the way we play. something Nintendo is currently working on. dont expect something as groundbreaking as OoT to happen this gen.. or even next gen.. but maybe once motion sensing and virtual reality take gaming to the point to where we can see images all around us.. so we can actually be in the game. i cant wait to see what happens next =] maybe itll even be a new Zelda that does this. ooh im getting tingly just thinking about it.

Like I said, apples and oranges.

And if a game is well made, story has jack shit to do with anything. Many consider SotC in their top 3 of the last generation with minimal story telling. But if that's your argument, Mario 3 has a story, compare it to Metal gear 4 for me.

Why the fuck will people be hailing mgs4's story telling and narrative in ten years time? Surely you as a gamer will find the merits within the game itself? All you've done is call me an idiot and an ass, and I was kind enough to give you the only kind of comparison I was capable of giving.

Well fuck you, good sir. Enjoy your thread. (: