By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What would you like to see in the next Zelda?

I thought Nintendo said they were going to completely overhaul the series.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Around the Network
Grey Acumen said:

1.) DIFFICULTY SLIDER!

Fine, for the noobs that can't play worth crap, make sure you start out in easy mode, but for those of us that have been playing Zelda since we could fit our hands around the controller, how about adding in a harder mode so that your average moblin can actually give us a run for our money? I tried playing the gamecube version, and it's actually pretty difficult to control, which I think is why the enemies were dumbed down. When you used the Wimote w/ nunchuk, it became downright easy.

No thank you.  Make it an entirely new mode or don't do it at all.

I don't want a difficulty slider that just gives enemies more health/attack power.  That's the cheap/garbage way out...

I want different modes that offer different advantages.  Hard mode shouldn't just be hard for the sake of it, there should be some reward given to the player for taking the hard route. 

More difficulty is a must. Also, I agree about more interesting NPCs, who you could feel some sort of connection. That was missing on TP.

I would also like a change on the items. Link always gets a boomerang, a hookshot, a bow and an arrow, etc. And the rest, you only use them for like, a dungeon, and you don't use them anymore.

Gigantic bosses like the ones in Wind Waker would be great. Also, more freedom on what Link can do.

And please, no complete voice acting. Specially on Link.

I want the voice actor from the show to do Link. "Excuse me princess" every 5 mins during the game please. Bring back the big fatties from LttP that throw bombs. The boots that make you charge are a must. You can't forget about the old men who buy everything from you from the first one.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

Soriku said:

Everything you listed + A JUMP BUTTON (!!!) would make me happy.

@Grey

lol I haven't played MM (yet anyway. Still waiting for a VC release X_X) but is it really that dark? =/ I don't mind a dark Zelda though. I just want soem cel-shading. Cel-shading + dark/semi-dark (definitely some lightening up in the story but dark as well) = cool.

I wouldn't call Majora's Mask dark, but like I said, it has some very somber elements when you actually stop to think about what's really happening. One of the most notable for me was the Goron Mask and helping Romani.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

I don't even know... i've been so over 3-D Zeldas for a while now.

Heh i'd probably want a return to the overhead games on consoles.

->ALttP's dungeons number/difficulty and magic (see below).

->Make more useful items! Make us use them as much as we can through the game. More magic too. ALttP's magic was awesome! Not only you used it to open dungeons but it was very useful in combat!

->MM's sidequests and NPCs.

->An overworld filled with stuff. Please don't make it as empty as WW's ocean or TP's fields. Make it feel alive!

->Art style like PoP's art concept. A dark cell shaded type. I LOVE it and think it would nicely fit in Zelda.

->Voice acting except for Link. Personally, I think Hyrule would sound better with it's own language because it would feel more magical, like Hyrule is another world... Also good for Nintendo, they wouldn't need additional voice actors for other languages.

->Story wise, I would actually would like to see what happens much after Wind Waker. What happens to the Ocean? Do they ever find the new land? What happens? And it could be different from the other Zelda... Possibilities are endless. I just wish it could fill in some story holes...

I'd like Zelda to be the main character...

Grey Acumen said:

I notice the OP is a rather blatant fan of Majora's Mask :P I agree with him though. I hated the time limit at first, but the characters and the situation were far more emotionally engaging than TP or OoT. Here are the most important things for me:

1.) DIFFICULTY SLIDER!

Fine, for the noobs that can't play worth crap, make sure you start out in easy mode, but for those of us that have been playing Zelda since we could fit our hands around the controller, how about adding in a harder mode so that your average moblin can actually give us a run for our money? I tried playing the gamecube version, and it's actually pretty difficult to control, which I think is why the enemies were dumbed down. When you used the Wimote w/ nunchuk, it became downright easy.

2.) Build on TP controls

These controls may have just been buttons mapped to waggle, but they were mapped WELL. Don't screw around with this, just build on it.

3.) Serious Cell shaded

Twilight Princess art style, but cell shading really would be a nice effect.

4.) Partial Voice Acting ONLY

First off, LINK DOES NOT TALK. I don't care how cool the voice is, he just doesn't. PERIOD. However, with Link not talking at all, it would seem weird if everyone else spoke all of their lines, he'd seem like a mute, which just isn't the effect we're going for. As a consolation, do partial voice acting. Actual dialog, not just grunts and giggles, but don't speak every single line, basically only do voice acting for the "main idea" line and leave the rest of the lines as text only.

5.) Don't go too Dark

Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask are as dark as the Zelda series should go.(TP had a dark style, but MM had much more somber underlying themes) Either keep it at this level or preferably even lighten it up a little. Any further, and you're gonna have Link cutting himself and dressing in fishnet. We just don't need to go there.

6.) Useful items and items with multiple ways to be used

The Spinner was retarded, and the Wand came in a close second, the dual hookshots was cute, but I would have liked to see the different uses of the single hookshot increased instead, like being able to swing on the hookshot(like what you could do with the grappling claw) and use your sword or other items at the same time.

I'd like to see the hookshot able to be used in conjunction with the metal boots to pull objects to you instead of pulling you to objects. I'd like to see the magnet floors used in more situations than just a single dungeon. I'd like to possibly see some sort of upgrade to the metal boots to make them magnet boots that could stick to regular metal floors and stick to OR repel from magnetic floors.

Have the wand upgradable so that it could not just activate specifically designed object, but also levitate at close range heavy objects, allowing it to function in place of the gauntlets of strength, and at the same time, allow it to be combined with the Ball and Chain to create a makeshift Goron's Hammer, as well as allowing you to use the Ball and Chain without slowing you down.

Skip the stupid sling, or have it so that you get the Bow from someone by trading the slingshot to them for it. It became totally extraneous as soon as you got the Bow. Give the boomerang in place of it, and have it so it can be upgraded with the wind powers (I actually liked the idea of activating events by putting OUT the fires, not just starting them) and make it so it's stunning ability is actually more effective than the hookshot.

Allow an upgrade to remote bombs, like what was done in Minish cap, and I'd also like to see the Mirror Shield reincorporated, but not JUST for "beams of light activate sensors" puzzles.

Allow the lantern to be upgraded with red fire and blue fire, allowing you to activate, with magic(or perhaps special types of oil?), red flames to melt cold ice and protect you from being frozen, and activate blue fire to freeze water that you're walking on, and protect you from hot levels. This could then be combined with the gale boomerang to allow you to throw the lantern out over a distance, allowing you to freeze water along a path, or light torches from a distance. You could also have puzzles that require torches to be lit with specific types of flame to solve.

Put in the cape from the minish cap, and give it functionality like the lantern combined with metal boots, in that you can use it, or just be wearing it, but you can also use it directly from the dpad. I'd like to finally be able to make 3D Link jump without having to have him run off a cliff to do it. It could be set so that if you used it, it would make Link jump, but if you just wore it normally and ran, it would let you hover. This could be combined with the sword for aerial attacks, combined with the metal boots to activate heavy switches, etc.

By combining items in this manner, you could create a variety of different items and uses, and not have any item feel useless.

Well, I prefer the Ocarina of Time to Majora's Mask. :P

Majora's Mask is the most interesting Zelda, but the Ocarina of Time is by far the best.

Anywho, I agree with just about everything you said, particularly the bit about the controls, but I have similar reservations to WoW's in regards to the difficulty slider. 

I think the bit that I highlighted is really cool, and would love to have it in the next Zelda.  That being said, your complaints about items are a bit too specific.  Nintendo usually makes plenty of new items for each Zelda, so you can't really complain about specific items so much as their general philosophy in creating items. 

And one more thing that I forgot to mention in the OP:  I'd be perfectly fine if they brought back the Ocarina.  The wind waker and the wolf's howling didn't work near as well, so why not just stick with what we know works.

Somebody else mentioned a guitar, and I guess that would work.  I used to love donning the Zora Mask in MM and rocking out on that fish bones guitar, lol.  Of course it wouldn't feel as Zelda-ish as the Ocarina, though I suppose that's just nostalgia talking.

I'd like Zelda and Link to both be playable.

I'd like them to either go much much darker, or back to Wind Waker style.

I'd like a heavy character focus. Midna was great, but other than her TP lacked interesting characters, and Castle Town felt lifeless.

Difficulty... eh, I'm fine with it. Zelda has never been difficult. I can still beat any 3D Zelda game without ever dying. Including Master Quest, but more puzzles is always a plus.

Step up the bosses... I'm envisioning Shadow of the Colossus style bosses, and yet even bigger. Like a final boss who's a huge city-sized dragon, and beating him is one giant puzzle.

New items, with multiple uses. This has been mentioned before, but items need to be able to be used for an extensive period of time... not just in the dungeon they are found. And yeah, the bow and bombs always are, but how about some other creative stuff? Bring back the Roc Cape and let's see some cool jumping puzzles in 3D. Let me equip multiple items so I can use them in conjunction (TP did this a little bit, which was cool. Expand on it).

Bring back magic. Not sure why but magic has sorta disappeared from Zelda since it went 3D. Yeah, it was used a LITTLE bit in OoT, MM, and WW, but not much. I'd like to see it become a major part of the franchise again. Maybe make Zelda a spellcasting character with a bow. Should add some interesting gameplay diversity.