By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Eight Days cancellation explained: Sony hates single player

Why do you get excited when Sony cancels 2 internal projects? They still own the IPs and London Studios is still intact. The Red Alert 3 cancellation is disturbing, but the Getaway and Eight Days don't really mean much.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network

Nice idiotic deduction in the title though :-/

uH. Last I checked most of their exclusives didn't have online support, like Uncharted or Rachet and Clank, or Heavenly Sword and Lair. And they haven't announced any online support for INfamous or heavy Rain either, and the next game from Ico maker I seriously doubt will be online, so if that is the reason which I doubt why not just ask them to add it? Why not bring it up earlier in the development phase, they invested that kind of money in a project and failed to tell the developer it's online requirement? Obviously the development for these games were struggling, probably over budget, and probably not coming together the way they liked, and maybe a great online component would have saved their production because Sony would like more competition on that front. So of course they use the online element as the fall guy, otherwise they'd have act like their on studio is incompetent.

starcraft gets a boner with bad ps3 news. sony suks

Wow, that sucks. It feels good to hear something stupid said about anything that isn't related to Nintendo.

Single player games are the heart of the core audience, especially when online play is free. What a stupid reason to cancel a game. I supposed they woulda cancelled RE4 and Twilight Princess also.

It's no wonder JRPG's aren't on the PS3. No online play. This story is a little sickening.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

They hate single player, well then I guess they are going to cancel White knight chronicles now..

mM

Thats a really dumb excuse. I mean, single player is what I think makes a game worth a purchase. Plus, online capability isnt available to many people nation/worldwide so online only games have a much more limited appeal than those with both a fleshed out single player and multiplayer as well for extra enjoyment. Single player first, multiplayer after the single player becomes stale imo.

If I were interviewing him I'd ask if there was a possibility of going back to it at a later date.

This is a sad day for gaming, in my opinion.

I may purchase one or two games a generation specifically for multiplayer, but the rest I buy for the single player experience.  I couldn't care less about the online element.

This story does not bode well for my gaming tastes.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I wouldn't be surprised if theirs increased attempts to get people paying subscription based games. I know a few mmo's are in development for the 360 for example. That way you don't need to have the entire market to make a lot of money and your investments make money for a longer period of time.