By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Eight Days cancellation explained: Sony hates single player

HappySqurriel said:

I could be wrong, but I think the focus on online multiplayer is one of the main reasons why Sony and Microsoft have difficulty capturing the broader gamer demographic. Most gamers are primarily interested in how a game plays in single player or local multiplayer and online play is not much of a consideration when buying a game; in contrast it seems that Sony and Microsoft are focusing on online multiplayer games with little consideration to single player and local multiplayer.

That's how I am.  If i'm screwing around i'd rather play the computer... and if i'm vs someone i'd rather they be next to me so i can watch the expression on their face when i kick their ass.

Around the Network
PS360ForTheWin said:
yeah, how dare a game company cash in on the popularity of online gaming. Online only games work well, look at UT!

I thought the latest UT flopped.... something about most UT players realizing it offered almost nothing new... and it just not selling well on PS3.

SpartanFX said:
starcraft said:
SpartanFX said:
@starcraft

it's already been posted by me,,,just look 2 post below this and you will see it's there

Thats about the studio's at large. This is eight days specific information.

but eight days is also in there

The other title wasn't dramatic enough for starcraft.  He had to come up with something more... to sensationalize it.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Andir said:

The other title wasn't dramatic enough for starcraft. He had to come up with something more... to highlight it.

Fixed.

Its important people are aware of the decline of single-player experiences on the PS3, and to a lessor extent on the Xbox 360 as well.

The Wii seems to be the only console actively maintaining SP strength.  Excepting the 360's JRPG and WRPG push.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

how about uncharted

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Andir said:

The other title wasn't dramatic enough for starcraft. He had to come up with something more... to sensationalize it.

Fixed.

Its important people are aware of the decline of single-player experiences on the PS3, and to a lessor extent on the Xbox 360 as well.

The Wii seems to be the only console actively maintaining SP strength.  Excepting the 360's JRPG and WRPG push.

Refixed.  If you wanted to simply highlight it, the title could have been: Eight Days cancellation explained: Lack of Multiplayer.  But no... You had to go with the "Sony Hate" angle.  It's sensationalism.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Andir said:

Refixed. If you wanted to simply highlight it, the title could have been: Eight Days cancellation explained: Lack of Multiplayer. But no... You had to go with the "Sony Hate" angle. It's sensationalism.

You do realize that a contencious linking to a Wikipedia article represents a far better example of sensationalism than a thread title you've deliberately misinterpreted?

It quite clearly isn't the "Sony hate" angle so much as it is the "Sony hates" angle.  A Sony executive clearly stated that two titles that have been touted by PS3 owners as glorious new IP were cancelled because they lacked a strong online component.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Uncharted? R&C:ToD? Heavenly Sword? Lair? Forklore? The soon to come inFamous, Heavy Rain, WKC, and FFXIII/versusXIII?

And most likely GoW3 aswell

Yeah clearly they hate single player games...

starcraft said:
Andir said:

Refixed. If you wanted to simply highlight it, the title could have been: Eight Days cancellation explained: Lack of Multiplayer. But no... You had to go with the "Sony Hate" angle. It's sensationalism.

You do realize that a contencious linking to a Wikipedia article represents a far better example of sensationalism than a thread title you've deliberately misinterpreted?

It quite clearly isn't the "Sony hate" angle so much as it is the "Sony hates" angle.  A Sony executive clearly stated that two titles that have been touted by PS3 owners as glorious new IP were cancelled because they lacked a strong online component.

But I don't remember ever reading the word "hate" in the original article.

Just to add things about HappySqurriel's post :

For me, what is important is not single player
It is not online multiplayer too.
It is local multiplayer.

Bascially, if they want to sell games, they have to focus on multiplayer BUT offline multiplayer ...

Time to Work !