By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Metal Gear spikes PS3 sales - good sign or bad?

It's good when a good game gets good sales, so well done to the MGS team.

That aside I think I can understand why Sony are being cautious with the 80gig units. They seem to be making it a limited edition bundle with a new game to target people who do not yet have PS3. This should be important to them as the worst thing that could happen to them is existing PS3 owners buy an 80gig and use their 40gig as a second console in another room. If Sony are selling the 80gigs at a loss then this means that every time someone does this then they have just made another loss and not gained another customer to help claw back the loss with loyalty fees and sales of first party games. This is just my theory on it, as there seems to be a wonderment as to why Sony are not producing as many 80gigs as there seems to be demand for.

Around the Network

@onimusha

for gods sake....stop trolling & lying about "predictions" you never made

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
@onimusha

I'm just amazed he/she can spew this shit out so fast and well worded.  It is truly a gift from the troll god

Just for the records Average weekly WW sales before MS4 release were just 150-160k.
Now, you will see how much additional ps3 will sell MGS4 in next 2 months.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

a good sign of ps3 and the beginning of domination.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Around the Network

The 80GB bundles are for all intents and purposes, sold out. At least from the standpoint that you can't currently buy one from retail outlets.

But, they'll be restocked for as long as Sony keeps them in production. There's no question Sony could have sold considerably more bundles if they hadn't been supply constrained.

And it is a fantastic value for consumers, but probably not as profitable as the 40GB base SKU for Sony, more from the standpoint that it's packed with a game that could sell more copies without the bundle than the difference in component price over the 40GB. It would be interesting to see the current breakdown on both SKUs in terms of overall cost to manufacture each.

Griffin said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@onimusha

I'm just amazed he/she can spew this shit out so fast and well worded.  It is truly a gift from the troll god

ROFL.

@Griffin

well he's obviously been taking crash courses from Starcraft....lol

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

fastyxx said:

PS3 selling 120k this week is a good thing. But 70k were the special editions that are now gone. So if you take away those people who special ordered them up front and were obviously waiting for their console, you are left with a pretty average week of 50k.

So on the one hand the number looks great. But on the other hand, it looks less promising. It'll be interesting to see if the number stays up a little bit or if we go right back to seeing 45-60k each week.

Thoughts?

EDIT: (Obviously I am talking America here.)

Aren't they keeping around the 80 gig bundles for a while?

Onimusha12 said:
I think we'll see a big drop off in the long run, with a game like this you're exhausting alot of on-the-fence gamers who were waiting for a reason to buy one.

The fact they needed a bundle to pull this off too is kind of worrisome as well. Most new games aren't given a wheelchair to help them out into the market. All that remains now is to see if this actually allows Sony to usurp Nintendo for just one week, because if this game can't do it, then that's just a sad sign for the PS3.

GTAIV - checked off the list

MGS4 - getting the sharpe marker ready for the check

FFXIII - next on the list

That sounds strangely like "Galaxy, Kart and Brawl are out, wii is going to drop off."